ebay question for the pros...(sealed lp related)

speakmumblesspeakmumbles 447 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
i recently bought hugo montenegro's 1969 lp "moog power" original press sealed on ebay...got it in today, and i cracked it open and to my surprise, friends of distinction's "grazin" lp was inside also on rca from 1969.i emailed the seller and told him the same story, and im waiting to hear back from him..now i know i bought a sealed lp, so if it were cracked or damaged id be shit outta luck, but DAMN a whole 'nother record?the seal looks original and all, so its not like he just resealed some other lp and put it on ebay, but i feel like i paid for a certain record and thats what i wanted to receive. ive purchased quite a few sealed albums and ive never had a problem before.anybody have any opinions or advice on this?

Comments

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Every time I crack a seal on somehting, I am a little anxious until I am reaussured that the cover matches the record contained therein.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    If it were a record that I had sold, I would most likely offer a refund. That said, I don't really feel that a seller is in any way obligated to in a situation like this.

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    If it were a record that I had sold, I would most likely offer a refund. That said, I don't really feel that a seller is in any way obligated to in a situation like this.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    i recently bought hugo montenegro's 1969 lp "moog power" original press sealed on ebay...got it in today, and i cracked it open and to my surprise, friends of distinction's "grazin" lp was inside also on rca from 1969.

i emailed the seller and told him the same story, and im waiting to hear back from him..

now i know i bought a sealed lp, so if it were cracked or damaged id be shit outta luck, but DAMN a whole 'nother record?

the seal looks original and all, so its not like he just resealed some other lp and put it on ebay, but i feel like i paid for a certain record and thats what i wanted to receive. ive purchased quite a few sealed albums and ive never had a problem before.

anybody have any opinions or advice on this?

Tough call.

I think everyone agrees that the buyer assumes the risk of warping, a well-known potential hazard of sealed records.

And, personally, I think the seller ought to work with you when the record turns out to be a re-seal and the vinyl/sleeve is in less than "sealed" condition--particularly where there were some indicia that it might not be an original seal.

But, given the possibility that this was a factory sleeve-stuffing error, I really don't know... I think the seller out to do something for you, but isn't really obligated to.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    I've occasionally bought sealed records in the past which have a completely different LP inside but from dealers I trust so I imagine packaging mix ups at the plant must be more common than you'd think. These days, even if I'm going to flip it immediately, I always ask sellers to crack open the seal to check everything's as it should be inside. If it's not right then everyone saves on time and hassle and if it's okay then you don't have the nervous anticipation of wondering whether your sealed Stark actually contains the Best of Jim Reeves.

• i think you are probably screwed. i mean it sucks, but it's nothing the seller did wrong, so you should probably just eat it.

also that Friends of Distinction record is good! Their version of "Eli's Coming" is

• and no, i'm not the seller.

• the seller just gave me a 50% refund which im happy with..if anyone wants a brand new friends of distinction "grazin" lp hit me up.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    the Best of Jim Reeves.

That album has braekz for dayz.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I've occasionally bought sealed records in the past which have a completely different LP inside but from dealers I trust so I imagine packaging mix ups at the plant must be more common than you'd think. These days, even if I'm going to flip it immediately, I always ask sellers to crack open the seal to check everything's as it should be inside. If it's not right then everyone saves on time and hassle and if it's okay then you don't have the nervous anticipation of wondering whether your sealed Stark actually contains the Best of Jim Reeves.

i think that's a good solution, in general. maybe does not apply here? i'm about to put up 30 sealed LPs. i'm going to put the disclaimer 100% "as is" unless the buyer asks me to open the LP to check title, warping etc. do ya'll think that's fair? do you think it will stop people from bidding? in the past, for bigger$ records, i went ahead and cracked open the bitch and graded as MINT (+ was sealed, but opened by seller to check condition).

• if you're going to sell the record frank, do not crack the seal. Sell it sealed.

Some of these guys want the sealed record to remain so, and file it away. If you open it "for them", they won't be interested. Of course, you can always open it after the auction if the buyer wants you to.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

i think that's a good solution, in general. maybe does not apply here? i'm about to put up 30 sealed LPs. i'm going to put the disclaimer 100% "as is" unless the buyer asks me to open the LP to check title, warping etc.

The "buyer" as in potential bidder or after the person has won the auction?

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

i think that's a good solution, in general. maybe does not apply here? i'm about to put up 30 sealed LPs. i'm going to put the disclaimer 100% "as is" unless the buyer asks me to open the LP to check title, warping etc.

The "buyer" as in potential bidder or after the person has won the auction?

"buyer" as in high bidder. i'd rather NOT open a SS at all. i just try to be cussomer service orientated. my first (and only negative feedback as a seller) was over this kinda shit.

• Keep it sealed.

Even if it's the Montgomery Express and you've had it for years thinking you'd find an open copy....

• check seller's history for other shrinkwrapped items.

there are still spots who reseal records

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    i recently bought hugo montenegro's 1969 lp "moog power" original press sealed on ebay...got it in today, and i cracked it open and to my surprise, friends of distinction's "grazin" lp was inside also on rca from 1969.

You oughta drop the needle on the record just to be sure... sometimes they're mislabeled in the factory too

• yea thats what i thought at first...mislabeled, but still right the lp...yea it was still the wrong wax

• I imagine packaging mix ups at the plant must be more common than you'd think.

i think moreso for ones that were manufactured late in the game, just before becoming a 'cut out' - because by that point there may have been mismatched amounts of jackets to vinyl and 'mistakes' would be more likely as workers were told to 'get this crap outta here, make room' - and who would ever know what was inside but the consumer, who wouldnt have the power to return it if it was bought in a cut out bin?

though ive cracked hundreds of sealed records, likely mostly ex-cutouts, and i think there was just one mismatch, but more like 10 warps.

• Keep it sealed.

Even if it's the Montgomery Express and you've had it for years thinking you'd find an open copy....

CRAZY TALK

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    if you're going to sell the record frank, do not crack the seal. Sell it sealed.

Some of these guys want the sealed record to remain so, and file it away. If you open it "for them", they won't be interested. Of course, you can always open it after the auction if the buyer wants you to.

Yes, of course no-one's going to crack open a record for you unless you've actually bought it - I meant before mailing it out. If it's a dud then no reasonable seller is going to insist on completing the sale.