Modern Gangsta Rap, what you know about that?

2»

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

That's hogwash. Revolutionary means taking all rules, even yours, and dismissing them with the quickness. Whatever it takes, by any means necessary, guerilla warfare, etc.

Man, that's hogwash.

I believe what you're describing is actually called "nihilism". Now write that down.

And, Archaic, despite the many things we disagree on, I am shocked to find you defending some sacfree headwraps-n-incense croutons-on-the-futon calculated cornball trash like Dead Prez. I was confident that your tastes, if nothing else, tended more towards the extreme.

of revolution seems very square and textbook-derived to me. In fact it almost seems Communist in that you appear to be saying that MC's are only "revolutionary" when they are using their music within a strict parameter of utilitarian perfection. That's inhumane as far as I'm concerned.

Face it, noz--you're a square.

And possibly even a communist.

And didn't I hear a little something about you being a "fagineer"?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Your conception of revolution seems very square and textbook-derived to me. In fact it almost seems Communist in that you appear to be saying that MC's are only "revolutionary" when they are using their music within a strict parameter of utilitarian perfection. That's inhumane as far as I'm concerned.

well it's communist thinkers and leaders that dead prez often like to cite as their primary influence, no? is it inaccurate for me to assume that this is the sort of revolution they're talking about?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Face it, noz--you're a square.

And possibly even a communist.

And didn't I hear a little something about you being a "fagineer"?

don't forget carpetbagger.

• ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts

That's hogwash. Revolutionary means taking all rules, even yours, and dismissing them with the quickness. Whatever it takes, by any means necessary, guerilla warfare, etc.

Man, that's hogwash.

I believe what you're describing is actually called "nihilism". Now write that down.

And, Arcahiac, despite the many things we disagree on, I am shocked to find you defending some sacfree headwraps-n-incense croutons-on-the-futon calculated cornaball trash like Dead Prez. I was confident that your tastes, if nothing else, tended more towards the extreme.

I like their music...which I think gets mistreated because so many can't comprehend what a real revolution looks like...ugly.

On nihilism...there is one rule though: Do what thou wilt.

Ellay Khule a.k.a. Rifleman is certainly one of all the best rappeurs of the world. Those which trail since years of with dimensions famous shop Amoeba and the nerds of the first hour know it for a long time. The others for the majority never did not intend to speak about this MC, member of the collective Hip Hop Kclan and affiliated in Afterlife. Too bad. The worst in all that it is than there are great chances so that that does not change. Because Rifleman is race of those which engrave them even their albums and cut out the small pockets with the hand. While at the same time the scene rap Westcoast underground finally tends to collect what it sowed, profits from an about decent exposure and is even able to be made distribute towards on our premises, Afterlife/HipHopKclan nebula seems one of the last bastions of a Californian hip hop of the goufre which pains to cross the borders of the State controlled by Arnold Schwarzenneger. And yet, of Riddlore with Cypha7, while passing by the incroyabe Nga Fsh and, therefore, very productive Ellay Khule, the artists of this fringe there do not miss a talent.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    see...now I see you just mention the blowed to get a response out of fools...boooooring.

and dead prez STILL aint gangster rap

see...now I see you just mention the blowed to get a response out of fools...boooooring.

and dead prez STILL aint gangster rap

Never said that Dead Prez was gangsta rap. Just don't like the idea that people hold them to ridiculous standards.

On CVE/Hip Hop Kclan...they came right out of NWA/CMW sampling classic breaks, moved on with Dre to Moogy g-funk then built upon it along with like minds such as Khayree and Scarface, then got into bounce ala Cash Money, and their latest stuff still translate to what modern gangsta rap has become. With all seriousness, CVE's new album Villainism needs to be heard beyond its usual patronage.

Also I really liked this line from the translated review:

Afterlife/HipHopKclan nebula seems one of the last bastions of a Californian hip hop of the goufre which pains to cross the borders of the State controlled by Arnold Schwarzenneger.

Enough of that though, let's now consider one B.G.:

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    BG = the truth

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Here we go, b.g., now thats some gangsta rap. chopper city in the ghetto!!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Purple City Players. Good Neo-Gangsta shit. Uptown represent.

What really surprises me about BG is that none of his singles breakthrough the underground. His shit is fiyah for real. Not just on the street level, but they work in the club too. I respect dude's grind though...

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    surprised UGK and Guerilla Maab haven't come up yet...

the recent Pimp C and Z-Ro discs are

addendum:

Killa Kyleon - Welcome to the hood

surprised UGK and Guerilla Maab haven't come up yet...

you making me feel bad...

What really surprises me about BG is that none of his singles breakthrough the underground. His shit is fiyah for real. Not just on the street level, but they work in the club too. I respect dude's grind though...

Uptown My Home
    Ridin - Hot Boys
    Shoot em Up Bang Bang
    I Want It

My casket will hopefully play these songs on eternal repeat.

Am I wrong for thinking that even if Soulja Slim was still alive, BG would still be coming harder than Slim?

BG has nothing on "get the gat" though, as far as a bounce track goes.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Generally BG just has better beats and better songs, admittedly I'm not as familiar with Slim's catalog though...

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Just throwing this out there but, I've noticed that something that goes fairly unmentioned when talking about the efficacy of modern gangsta rap versus old gangsta rap is the production. I guess I'm wondering if we can say something about the change(s) in production and/or form over the years that has changed how we look at rap music. Is gangsta rap simply content driven or is there something we can say about its form that determines its effect too? Is there something musically about 50 cent that makes our moms and pops less likely to have a negative reaction to it than someone like NWA?

It is my contention that a lot of the controversy around groups like NWA and Public Enemy (obviously not "gangsta rap" in the traditional sense) had a lot more to do with the abrasive, often-discordant, in-your-face production than people really give credit to.

-e

I definitely agree with this, and I also lament that the raucous sound has retreated so much (no Rawkus). A big part of the excitement of early gangsta shit was the production. It was aggressive, boisterous, abrasive, all that shit. It had energy to it--the music was often just as angry as the lyrics, and it propelled the whole song forward.

And now? It's so blunted and cleaned up. It went from sounding like a righteously angry dude who would not have his voice stymied to a stoned shit-talker pretending to be a tough guy.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I don't wanna be an ass bringing this thread back to the Dead Prez BS after everyone finally got away from it, but I had to go to work this AM and need to at least clear this up: I never said DP were "Gangsta." I responded to the very accurate point Noz made about the political aspects of older Gangtsa acts like NWA and Ghetto Boys being the difference from today's G sounds, and I was saying that maybe that was why I listened to Dead Prez so much, because I was looking for that approach. I guess I don't follow up enough on the "Behind the Music" of alot of this shit to know that DP is as fraudulent as you guys claim, I just had those 1st two records and dug 'em, sorry if that makes me a mark or something. I usually skipped "Mind Sex" anyway, cause it is mad corny. I don't think what I said didn't fit into the thread, though, it seems people read shit and just jump off and wanna shit on me for liking something that's "corny," and act like I'm fucking up the topic, but what I said was pretty direct.

Shit, it ain't like ATL's "Another Execution" cass-single wasn't #1 in my ride Summer 1990, OK?

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I don't wanna be an ass bringing this thread back to the Dead Prez BS after everyone finally got away from it, but I had to go to work this AM and need to at least clear this up: I never said DP were "Gangsta." I responded to the very accurate point Noz made about the political aspects of older Gangtsa acts like NWA and Ghetto Boys being the difference from today's G sounds, and I was saying that maybe that was why I listened to Dead Prez so much, because I was looking for that approach. I guess I don't follow up enough on the "Behind the Music" of alot of this shit to know that DP is as fraudulent as you guys claim, I just had those 1st two records and dug 'em, sorry if that makes me a mark or something. I usually skipped "Mind Sex" anyway, cause it is mad corny. I don't think what I said didn't fit into the thread, though, it seems people read shit and just jump off and wanna shit on me for liking something that's "corny," and act like I'm fucking up the topic, but what I said was pretty direct.

Shit, it ain't like ATL's "Another Execution" cass-single wasn't #1 in my ride Summer 1990, OK?

you are excused for liking dead prez haha, dont worry about it.

I just always thought they were pretty overhyped. I think thats in part due to the fact that they have a cool name.

And gangster rap is most certainly alive and well! You're certainly not catching the good stuff on the radio though, but really, you never were!

Rappers dont clean up songs anymore. They just drop the real shit on mixtapes and do bullshit tracks for the radio.

I guess I don't follow up enough on the "Behind the Music" of alot of this shit to know that DP is as fraudulent as you guys claim, I just had those 1st two records and dug 'em, sorry if that makes me a mark or something.

I don't think anyone on here dislikes DP because they perceive those guys' personal lives as being at odds with their music, though; it's the music itself (including the rapping and the sentiments expressed) that seems corny and contrived to me.

Different strokes, though.

• Here we go, b.g., now thats some gangsta rap. chopper city in the ghetto!!

BG gets crazy love down here..for not even having HUGE singles..he's easily a favorite