ebay weirdness

marumaru 1,450 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
i placed a bid for $87.59 and lost to someone for $88. i thought you had to place bids in increments like 50 cents or a dollar depending on the price of the auction, so losing by 41 cents doesn't make sense to me. yes

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    i placed a bid for $87.59 and lost to someone for $88. i thought you had to place bids in increments like 50 cents or a dollar depending on the price of the auction, so losing by 41 cents doesn't make sense to me. yes

They bid $88 before you placed your bid.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    but my bid still shows up in the bid history? i thought that only happened if your bid goes through

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    but my bid still shows up in the bid history? i thought that only happened if your bid goes through

If You bid $87.99 and he had already bid $88.00 he wins.

If you bid $88.01 and he had already bid $88.00 he wins

If you bid $88.00 and he had already bid $88.00 he wins

You only have to TOP his bid by the minimum of $0.50(or whatever)

Make sense??

• Something weird happened to me the other day, where I won an auction but looking back on the bidding history it seemed the second highest should have won. Basically my maximum bid was 11 cents higher than theirs but they placed their bid two days earlier than me. auction history
    Not that I'm complaining because I was glad to win, but the way I understood it it's supposed to be in 50 cent increments or something.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I'm fairly certain you don't have to win
    by fifty-cents or a dollar or whatever, you just
    need to bid that amount over the current displayed
    high bid.

For example: bidder A bids 12.00 on a 9.99 minimum bid

Bidder B bids 12.02 - high bid becomes $12.01

The next bidder would have to bid, say, $12.51 to qualify,
    but, if nobody else bids, Bidder B would win by 2 cents, $12.02 to $12.00.