The Official "I Hate Snow" Thread

behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
seeing that the first blizzard of the season has hit the country im not in a good mood. the weather has been great here, but soon NY will be covered in snow and i will hate every minute of iti know ima catch hate on this but snow sucks.

Comments

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
    NOT THAT WE HAVE MUCH SNOW OVERHERE BUT I

AT FIRST IT LOOKS NICE AND WHITE AND WONDERFUL BUT IN THE END ITS A SLURPIE OF
    GREY DIRTY SJEIT .

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    i was 25 before i saw my first snowfall...

to me the stuff is magical. and that squeaking sound that your shoes make cracks me up.

normally ima cynical old fucker, but snow brings out the pollyanna in me.

let it snow let it snow let it snow.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    As a kid snow was a blast. And I've made sure that my kids got to experience it even though we live in snowless Tejas.

BUT..........

When you live in that shit and have to use a cigarette lighter each morning for 2 months to defrost the door lock on your car....and scrape off 2 inches of ice from your windshield.......and the snow plow just buried your car in 4 feet of slush.....it SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
    WELCOME TO AMSTERDAM ONE SNOWDAY EVERY TEN YEARS.
    LAST WAS ABOUT THIS TIME LAST YEAR.
    NOT EVEN CLOSE TO 1CM. AND THE G.V.B. WAS OUT OF SERVICE.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    pollyanna

HAHA!

• seeing that the first blizzard of the season has hit the country im not in a good mood. the weather has been great here, but soon NY will be covered in snow and i will hate every minute of it

i know ima catch hate on this but snow sucks.

You should consider moving to southern california. People there don't even know what snow is.

I don't mind snow at all. It's freezing cold and wind that I can't stand, and luckily, it doesn't get that cold out here that often. I don't consider 20-30 degrees cold though, I consider single digits or negative to be cold. It does get windy here and that shit annoys me to no end. Snow's cool in my book though. You just have to be ready for it.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    WELCOME TO AMSTERDAM ONE SNOWDAY EVERY TEN YEARS.
    LAST WAS ABOUT THIS TIME LAST YEAR.
    NOT EVEN CLOSE TO 1CM. AND THE G.V.B. WAS OUT OF SERVICE.

really, the fucking GVB (public transport), i remember that day, all trams stopped where they were, it was a joke.

not as much of a joke as the NS (dutch rail, NS stands for No Service) i have sat for an hour on a train because there were leaves on the track.

Leaves.

FUCKING LEAVES!!!

the ten tonne train couldnt possibly drive on leaves right? no. apparently not.

wankers.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I like asking people who like snow these two questions...

1) Do you own a car?

2) Do you shovel?

9 times out of 10, the answer is no.

I spent $500 on snow tires last week, guess which camp I'm in.

• I hate

• I like asking people who like snow these two questions...

1) Do you own a car?

2) Do you shovel?

9 times out of 10, the answer is no.

I spent $500 on snow tires last week, guess which camp I'm in.

1) not anymore, but I did last year and it wasn't a big deal.

2) no my landlord does that but I did plenty of it growing up. It's good exercise.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

• AserAser 2,351 Posts

2) no my landlord does that but I did plenty of it growing up. It's good exercise.

hindsight is a motherfucker. I'm sure after 2 hrs shoveling when you finally get to the end, only to have to still dig through the rock hard embankment that was pushed in by the road plows. I'm sure you weren't saying "Gee golly, this is some good exercise".

If I didn't have to drive or shovel, I would love snow. However I do, whereas you currently don't have to do either.

• 2) no my landlord does that but I did plenty of it growing up. It's good exercise.

hindsight is a motherfucker. I'm sure after 2 hrs shoveling when you finally get to the end, only to have to still dig through the rock hard embankment that was pushed in by the road plows. I'm sure you weren't saying "Gee golly, this is some good exercise".

If I didn't have to drive or shovel, I would love snow. However I do, whereas you currently don't have to do either.

I've never said "Gee Golly" in my entire life, thank you very much.

I grew up dealing with it so it's not something I felt compelled to complain about. I had to dig my car out of snow last year every morning, never bitched about it once. What, are you some lazy American (kidding)? A little elbow grease got ya shook (joking)? Shoveling snow ain't that bad. Better than shoveling shit!

How bout this, I had to walk to the grocery store (about 7 or 8 blocks) yesterday in the middle of the blizzard before any plows came through my area. I had to walk through 12-15 inches of fresh snow (no previous prints to walk in or shoveled sidewalks, none of that, plus some spots the snow was much much deeper due to drifts) to get there, and then had to carry a few bags of groceries back, all while still snowing and winds at about 20-25 mph. That was harder work than any shoveling I've ever done. Period.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    my point remains the same, most people that like snow do not have to endure the physical consequences of it. Sure there are exceptions, I said 9 out of 10. However, I think my theory holds true, given a margin of variance for error.

on average it takes 45 mins to an hr to shovel my driveway for a regular snowfall. Heavy coverage has in the past required upwards of 2-3 hrs. I can only offer my perspective, but I am not fond of snow in those moments. I also have back problems, hence it certainly doesn't help. That walk sounds mighty tempting compared to 3 hrs of back breaking shoveling, but that's just me.

Finally, I live in Canaduh. I'm by no means a meteorologist, but we certainly get more blizzards than one in 20 odd years (news quote from bbc, 1982 to be exact).

I snowboard, so snow is not all bad.

• Umm, we had a blizzard in 2003 that destroyed houses and cars all over the city (caved in roofs, giant trees collapsing onto cars, stuff like that).

a car:

a store front:

somebody shoveling :

That blizzard was really bad because it was in March and it didn't get very cold, so all the snow you see was very wet and very heavy, which is why so many roofs caved in and trees came down.

I hear ya though, of course nobody WANTS to shovel, but sometimes, you just gotta do what you gotta do. Keeps you manly tough. And where I grew up, it was more similar to the climate in Canada (in fact it was only a few hours from Canada) and it was much worse there than it is here.

• slushslush 691 Posts
    I love snow, I love slush

I love cold

Im that dude

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    the worst part about snow is shoveling a driveway out. getting to the end and realizing that what you just shoveled is a foot of snow again. then again, this is only for people like me who shovel when its still snowing and only if its snowing at the rate of 2 inches an hour.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_pictures/6198785.stm

panel 6 is where I got that info from. Not sure why they said 1982 then.

ooops, it said christmas blizzard.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I'm by no means a meteorologist,

I love sentences that start like that.

I'm no weather man, but it's as cold as a witch's titty out here.

I enjoy snow especially when it's falling. Even driving in it is pretty nice. Also, being in a warm home is somehow nicer when it's snowy outside. A combination of Chicago's salt policy (a handful for every snow flake) and more milder winters has perhaps made me more fond of snow. We only get it like twice a year, when growing up there'd be several weeks in a row of "depressing-ass grey snow."

Also on the winter tip: I realized that I've been depressed for like the last month, just sleeping all the time and being relatively in a crap mood.

• A combination of Chicago's salt policy (a handful for every snow flake)

In Denver, they don't use salt and sand anymore. They spray magnesium chloride on the roads. It doesn't really do shit for a blizzard but it melts regular snowfall instantly and keeps ice from forming on the roads. They say it can help cause rust on the bottom of your whip though. That shit is kinda

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    the worst part about snow is shoveling a driveway out then having the city's snow plow push a ton of street snow back in.

• I hate

I hated this Mother F&%ker, still do.