ebay trouble, seller "not a registered user"

earthingsearthings 78 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
I just bought a $200+ record on friday, from a UK seller with good feedback. Today I noticed that he's no longer a registered user. Should I be worried? I emailed him earlier today asking what the deal is, but should I take further action right away? If he emails me saying he's sent the record and everything's cool, will I ruin my chances of getting my money back if I take his word and just wait around for the record to arrive? I paid with a credit card via Paypal so I should be able to do a chargeback, but don't know how long I can afford to wait since he's no longer registered. Do sellers who get their eBay accounts suspended also get their Paypal accounts frozen? Any advice? I haven't had a problem like this before, and the eBay help pages aren't exactly helpful.

Comments

• if you haven't paid him - DON'T.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Should I be worried?

I'm gonna go with yes.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Should I be worried?

I'm gonna go with yes.

E-mail him frantically threatening to get him "kicked off of eBay".

Nah, seriously, I'd get things going with PayPal rather than waiting for the other shoe to drop. I suspect that him losing his registered user status occurred after you won the auction (they don't allow people that aren't registered users to sell, do they?), and I would argue that he is in breach of your contract--you contracted to buy a record from a member in good standing, which he no longer is and you cannot be assured that he will follow through with his end of the deal, blah, blah, blah. I don't know if it will work, but I'd give it a shot.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Yeah, get on it. I would be doing all I could to get my $$$ back. Do the paypal thing imediately.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    regardless of what you do, do not sit and wait for the record. either contact ebay or paypal and basically just mention what you mentioned here and see what your options are through them.

• Should I be worried?

I'm gonna go with yes.

• you know what, everyone's saying it's one way, but it could be the other way.

I got temporarily booted earlier this year for a mix-up. Happened right after an auction, but I went to great trouble to assure buyers that their records would be sent. 100% feedback, reputable seller, blah blah. I provided references from other sellers. I asked that people wait until I was reinstated if they did not feel comfortable. A couple people that bid heavy amounts never responded and never paid. When I got reinstated a week later I gave them a week more to pay. Then I went after all the guys that won $100+ items with non-paying bidder notices. And I got my money.

Moral of the story is: anything could happen with ebay, they can kick you off temporarily (7 days, usually) for minor shit, I would talk to the seller first as you have at least 30 days to do the chargeback. Don't do the guy like that without at least figuring out what happened - if he's got a lot of positive feedback it might just be a mistake.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    wow
    i had no idea ebay could just merc you like that as a seller [i mean of course i intrinsiclly fear ebay lords and their respective power
    "they "are the omnisient invisible superior in my cyber subconsciousness who yanked my auctions for the werdswestern union/CASH]

none the less
    what a pain in the ass

• Thanks for the replies everyone. I did the Paypal dispute thing and got a reply from the seller right away. Apparently he doesn't understand why he's been suspended and said he'll send the record by tomorrow, insured/registered. He's also cool with me keeping the dispute open until I get the record.

He seems like a nice guy, hopefully things will work out for both of us. I'm feeling optimistic.