A Little Bit of Alice Russell Appreciation...

butterybiscuitsbutterybiscuits 300 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
Last month we had the pleasure of organizing a little show with Alice Russell and the Tru-Thoughts crew from England here in NYC. This was the first time that I got to witness Alice...and dang, this little lady can wail. sho nuff. It's almost shocking...so much soul and so much fire. She got on real late-nite down home style (2am or sumthin) and just burned the house down while Quantic played some instrumentals. Very low-key. Everyone in the spot was pretty much in awe...anyways, finally processed a track (cover of the White Stripes'"7 Nation Army") from this performance to put on our site and wanted to share it with my strut peoples...esp since some new soul isht has been a recent topic.so dig the mp3 HEREor snag from the SITElike a combination of Janis Joblin & Sharon Jones? any thoughts?

Comments

• I caught her here in DC (right after NYC) and she was great. Crowd showed her nothing but love (see below):

Can't wait til she comes back.

• Yup - totally agree, Alice kills it live. Not so sure on the Munka Moon releases though...

She (Ms Russell) was supported by The Bamboos out of Melbourne on her two gigs here in NZ. I think we caught the first show of their tour through Asia-Pac region together and they killed it. Bamboo's are absolute tob drawer too - easily up there with El Michaels Affair etc - young cat on the skins is particularly kick arse.

But I digress - I love her voice and her phrasing is so gotdam fine... but the best thing about her is the stage vibe... she loves it up there, connects with the crowd, directs the band - a total natural.

She wears proper lady-shoes too - like Audrey Horne would wear....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    Yup - totally agree, Alice kills it live.

At the Big Chill Festival last year, she was weak.

Zero stage presence, and a rather flat and lifeless vocal performance too. And she got blown offstage by the next act, Kinney & Horne.....who exuded confidence and came with the powerful range.

Whether this was a one off or not, I dunno....but there are far better vocalists out there doing their thing.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

i wish i could see her live but im somehow doubting she'll be coming to hawaii anytime soon. im really digging this 7" remix of hurry on now. if you haven't heard it yet, tom noble has a pretty good album out that features her on a few tracks that are so good.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    (cover of the White Stripes'"7 Nation Army")

it's funny, there was a time when you could tell people that hers is the original

• (cover of the White Stripes'"7 Nation Army")

it's funny, there was a time when you could tell people that hers is the original

haha...that's a goodpoint...check this OG version of "7 Nation Army"

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i didnt even know that this tom noble album came out in 2003 but here's a track that features alice russell called moon and stars
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/j75jsn

• i didnt even know that this tom noble album came out in 2003 but here's a track that features alice russell called moon and stars
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/j75jsn

nice. good look b.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Good stuff but not next level. Nice voice. Blued 2-Step Soul!!!

• she has a new 45 out called hurry now that is

• fwesh. i've been playing under the munka moon alot - winter music for me.