how do you deal with assholes?

pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
At every gig i play it never fails that i get some asshole that comes up and tells me i suck because im not playing posion or fergie. How do you guys deal with this? I usually smile and grit my teeth and nicely tell them that i might get to it later or i didnt pack it with me. Tonight was horrible. This 50 year women of somewhat a professional background came up to me when i was playing stevie wonders superstition and asked "when are you going to play something I can dance to". She then proceeded to work her way around my table to my Microwave setup and made me go thru my songs which she commented that "they all suck" and im "too young to be playing good music". So 20 minutes later, mind you everyone else is having a good time, she comes back up says some more bullshit about playing music for her to dance to. then a little while later she tells me that the biggie song that i am playing is way to obscene for her and she came behind my shit again, this time all touching my laptop and shit. I told her to please get out of my setup and please don't touch my equipment, where she proceeded to get angry with me and started making a scene. Eventually the owner had to intervene and get her out of there. Now did i do the right thing by swallowing my pride and staying cool? I mean im a nice guy and try to maintain a degree of professionalism when im working. But tonight i was on the verge of going ballistic on this broad. She really fucked me up for like half an hour and had me all distracted and shit with this nonsense. Last week too i had some doctor asshole come up to me at my weds gig and all be like "everyone at my table hates this music" and if i could "please play something older" when i was currently playing some james brown. I think im going to buy that no requests t-shirt and just yell at people when they ask for dumb shit. like "FUCK YOU! CANT YOU SEE IM WORKING, TRYIN TO PAY THESE BILLS, MOTHERFUCKER!?!?! IF YOU DONT LIKE GO THE FUCK HOME!!!!"

Comments

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    She then proceeded to work her way around my table to my Microwave setup and made me go thru my songs which she commented that "they all suck" and im "too young to be playing good music". So 20 minutes later, mind you everyone else is having a good time, she comes back up says some more bullshit about playing music for her to dance to. then a little while later she tells me that the biggie song that i am playing is way to obscene for her and she came behind my shit again, this time all touching my laptop and shit. I told her to please get out of my setup and please don't touch my equipment, where she proceeded to get angry with me and started making a scene.

i think she wants you...

• oripsorips 238 Posts
    Only thing to remember is to keep your cool and refer them to the owner/manager if they have a problem with what you are playing. I once had a middle-aged lady (she was drunk, mind you) ask the same thing. I was playing some funk and she wanted to hear some Frank Sinatra. I told her that my night is mainly funk, soul and jazz as requested by the owner. She went away in a huff but her boy toy later apologized to me about her attitude.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    She then proceeded to work her way around my table to my Microwave setup and made me go thru my songs which she commented that "they all suck" and im "too young to be playing good music". So 20 minutes later, mind you everyone else is having a good time, she comes back up says some more bullshit about playing music for her to dance to. then a little while later she tells me that the biggie song that i am playing is way to obscene for her and she came behind my shit again, this time all touching my laptop and shit. I told her to please get out of my setup and please don't touch my equipment, where she proceeded to get angry with me and started making a scene.

i think she wants you...
    me too. we could have had some hate sex in the bathroom later if she didnt get tossed.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    You did the right thing to stay cool. Getting mad at women like that only fans the flames. I had a monthly gig at a chill bar last year and had a very similar experience. Only I told her to "fuck off." She wouldn't leave me alone after that, and only left when the bar staff came over and intervened. Then her boyfriend came over telling me he was going to kick my ass. All in all, it was even more of a pain in the ass than if I'd just smiled, nodded and said, "I'll see what I can do," whether or not I actually intended to honor her request for the ubiquitous "something I can dance to."

• you should haved stopped the music untill she left the booth. i always ask them if they want to pay me more than the owner/promoter and if so that i will play whatever they want.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    you should haved stopped the music untill she left the booth.

never that son.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    yo that Yarborough & Peoples video is dope!

except they show a drummer with a drum kit

• bozakbozak 334 Posts
    I am trying so hard to keep my cool when it comes to this type of shit during gigs. I highly recommend keeping your cool as much as possible but its real hard sometimes. I have done stupid shit such as pulled batteries out of a remote control to throw at a person, blew my nose on kleenex and threw that at someone ( you got me ), cut the music off and pretended the nearby heckler did it (that got EVERYONE against them real quick), flicked people off, yelled at people, dissed people over the mic, physically removed people from my booth, and gotten into fights but none of that shit works as good as blocking the haters out and using your frustrations to fuel your creativity. Most of the time that I get pissed off I end up really busting my shit and bringing it even harder. Its like the haters just dematerialize

• Last Saturday night;

I'm playing Common "Bitch in Yoo"...

Girl comes up to the booth and says, "Play some N***a beats!"

I took a deep breath and didn't say a thing, she just look puzzled and walked away.

It was fucked up.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Keeping your cool is a must. DJ 101. But every once in a while you just gotta clown the right dummy for some personal justice. You should practice your responses in the mirror. "Ill see what I can do." "Oh ,no doubt, ill find that soon." or "GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY FACE BITCH, I'M THE N***A KING!!!!"

• always a hard situation..

I don't believe that you need to remain polite. There are nice discreet ways of telling people to f#ck off without loosing your cool. These kind of people need to be told - because they are the same kind of people that are annoying in every situation in life..

In this situation I usually tell them (almost always women) "Listen, I'm going to say this for your own good - your really really drunk - Do your self a favour and go chillout for a while, because your getting f#cking annoying"
    This is always works for me. the person will always look a little confused and embarrassed, but will always leave me alone after that.

never really have any problems with guys requesting. More often than not they are loving the music, and they either (1) request something that I actually have - or (2) start telling me how f#cking awesome I am to the point that they won't stop leaving me alone or get out the DJ booth - which is a whole different problem

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    yo that Yarborough & Peoples video is dope!

except they show a drummer with a drum kit

Look how everyone is dipipng on the snare hits! Synchronized

• On another note, has anyone ever seen a really bad DJ with cheezy lighting who just plays this new wave of so called "electro" shit in a womans shirt (so you can see their hairy stomach )dancing like a fucking dunce and not doing anything besides playing CD's and they make you a very upset boy so much that you have to quickly leave just so you don't go ape shit on them?

I guess what happened to me the other night (see above) with the girl asking me to play some n****r beats when I was already playing a hip hop song is an example of the word becoming common use amongst white hipsters (who listen to the "electro" shit that makes me very upset boy)

On another note, has anyone ever seen a really bad DJ with cheezy lighting who just plays this new wave of so called "electro" shit in a womans shirt (so you can see their hairy stomach )dancing like a fucking dunce and not doing anything besides playing CD's and they make you a very upset boy so much that you have to quickly leave just so you don't go ape shit on them?
    sorry homie i dont frequent gay bars.

• keep it cool, but if you can keep some homies on your left (or right) hand side if possible, you got that deflector for those crazy drunk bitchez and dudes. no type of body guard action, but some times these fools GOT to just say something and its nice to have someone to entertain them for a hot minute..."oh yeah yeah, i think he's got that song, yeah, yeah nice nice..." then if they come up still calling for that particular song and they drunk (almost a given) you can pull the old "you didn't hear it? ahh man i just played it, you must've been outside smoking or in the bathroom or sumthing...aw well..." easy to pull the wool over drunk peeps eyes.

• you can pull the old "you didn't hear it? ahh man i just played it, you must've been outside smoking or in the bathroom or sumthing...aw well..." easy to pull the wool over drunk peeps eyes.

cosign
    done that a few time myself - a nice tried and trusted technique

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Being polite is fine til someone steps behind the booth (without being invited) or worse, touches ANY equipment/records/your person.

Then it is ok to have people ejected, IMO, at least from the vicinity, and if need be, the club. I get right up to and in the way of anyone asking to come behind or look at records. The answer is NO. PERIOD.

Luckily at the spot I spend most of my waking DJ time, the staff is very good about taking care of the DJs from that perspective. On my word I could have someone removed with little to no question asked(not that it has come to this, thankfully), but I at least have the total freedom to tell someone if they don't like the music, LEAVE. This I have done once.

My other 2 cents is in regards to how to handle requests, terminal cluelessness,etc. I now just smile and say "sure!", or I tell them "I just played that! You didn't hear that???!", no matter what they are asking for. It really works well. Lately when I get requests they have been reasonable, but then again we play Fergie/Shakira/Justin occasionally.

• At every gig i play it never fails that i get some asshole that comes up and tells me i suck because im not playing posion or fergie. How do you guys deal with this? I usually smile and grit my teeth and nicely tell them that i might get to it later or i didnt pack it with me.

Tonight was horrible. This 50 year women of somewhat a professional background came up to me when i was playing stevie wonders superstition and asked "when are you going to play something I can dance to". She then proceeded to work her way around my table to my Microwave setup and made me go thru my songs which she commented that "they all suck" and im "too young to be playing good music". So 20 minutes later, mind you everyone else is having a good time, she comes back up says some more bullshit about playing music for her to dance to. then a little while later she tells me that the biggie song that i am playing is way to obscene for her and she came behind my shit again, this time all touching my laptop and shit. I told her to please get out of my setup and please don't touch my equipment, where she proceeded to get angry with me and started making a scene. Eventually the owner had to intervene and get her out of there. Now did i do the right thing by swallowing my pride and staying cool? I mean im a nice guy and try to maintain a degree of professionalism when im working. But tonight i was on the verge of going ballistic on this broad. She really fucked me up for like half an hour and had me all distracted and shit with this nonsense. Last week too i had some doctor asshole come up to me at my weds gig and all be like "everyone at my table hates this music" and if i could "please play something older" when i was currently playing some james brown. I think im going to buy that no requests t-shirt and just yell at people when they ask for dumb shit. like "FUCK YOU! CANT YOU SEE IM WORKING, TRYIN TO PAY THESE BILLS, MOTHERFUCKER!?!?! IF YOU DONT LIKE GO THE FUCK HOME!!!!"

1) you probably did the right thing, but the owner should have had your back sooner. people just don't get the principle that it's rude to ask for a request if you're a) not at a barmitzvah b) not at a wedding c) have common sense/respect for the DJ

2) i usually placate the person saying i'll put something on. but sometimes when they come off rude to start with, i give it right back. either way, i get paid up front, so its the owner's fault if they start pushing up on me and ruin the set.
    which brings me to:

3) once some guy came up to me and started looking through my records. i was mixing then, and didn't notice. i turned around and smacked his hand like he was 10 years old. he got heated and then said, "you don't have anything good anyway." and i said, "hey i didn't go up to your girlfriend and shove my hand up her skirt and then call her ugly, get the fuck out of here." one thing led to another and the bouncers kicked him out. which brings me to:

4) i actually got in a fight with a clown. he was dressed like a clown, for some party (nope not halloween though). it was a bar that i was on my way out of anyway (wanted to move on to another spot for my weekly) and it was my second to last gig there. then this clown comes up to me and asks me to play this cd-r, of his "boy's dope hip hop."
    i take it and say i'll listen to it first. ten minutes later, he comes over asking why i haven't played it. i say that it doesn't fit in to what i'm playing tonight and the girls are on the floor dancing to mona lisa so i'm not going to mess with that vibe.
    he didn't like that and said i was a fucking punk for not putting it on. i took my headphones off and threw his cd-r across the room, and he grilled me, clown outfit and all. he actually said don't get your ass beat by a clown it wouldn't look good, and pushed me. he was about 100lbs heavier than me and significantly taller so, i responded by hitting him in the face with my pint glass, and hitting him a few times in the head with a mag-lite they kept behind the booth.

i didn't play there anymore, and they still owe me $150 from the bar receipts. so yeah, you did the right thing.

but my favorite is "can you play my request soon, i'm leaving in a minute?"

these are the same people whose world view is so distorted they don't flush public toilets, throw their garbage on the ground next to garbage cans, and hit the elevator button in the lobby again after it is already lit.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    i actually got in a fight with a clown.

you did good. clowns are evil.

Fuck a clown.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

3) once some guy came up to me and started looking through my records. i was mixing then, and didn't notice. i turned around and smacked his hand like he was 10 years old. he got heated and then said, "you don't have anything good anyway." and i said, "hey i didn't go up to your girlfriend and shove my hand up her skirt and then call her ugly, get the fuck out of here." one thing led to another and the bouncers kicked him out.

So wait - you consider someone touching
    your records the same as someone sexually
    & verbally assaulting your girlfriend?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    That clown story made my eve, esp the image of you taking a pint glass to someone's head...in a clown costume no less.

Here's my question: how many DJs have ACTUALLY gotten into a fight with some asshole over a request? Like blows were exchanged?

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    I told an asshole chick once when she was complaining: "Look, there's a line of people waiting outside wanting to get in. If you hate the music so much, I'm sure one of them would be happy to take your place". She actually seemed shocked that I was so rude, like she didn't just bitch and complain rudely to me a second ago. I do think you should try hard to be polite to people - there's a lot of jobs a lot more boring than dj:ing that involve taking shit from random people - but if someone comes into the booth, touching equipment, they've crossed the line IMO.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    That clown story made my eve, esp the image of you taking a pint glass to someone's head...in a clown costume no less.

Here's my question: how many DJs have ACTUALLY gotten into a fight with some asshole over a request? Like blows were exchanged?

one time.

kind of a lame fight, but this assholes opening line was "hey dickhead, play some Gloria Estefan"

i am not kidding.

it was a xmas party for the local city council (ahhh yeah bitches, the glamorous DJ life was just nonstop)

i was playing some cheesy disco track (pick one) and this dude just wouldnt lay off with his Estefan requests

"do the conga, you must have do the conga"

i finally snapped, told him gloria estefan is a whore and anyone who likes it should be destroyed, told him to "fuck off you sad cunt"

he shoved me over the decks and the needle skipped, everyone turned in time to see my right hook connect, he fell backwards down a small step and ended up on his back on the dancefloor.

i kept playing, his mates took him away and the night was complete shit.

told you it was a lame story.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    similar thread to this is the past, someone made a good point of telling people to 'bring a CD with the music you wanna hear next time'. seriously though having some of your crew in effect is always handy. it also helps if these guys are black, all the beckys are usually scared off from requesting the Grease megamix.

being nice is definately a great policy though even with these expert wind up merchants. it might seem like a good idea to tell a girl to fuck off cos she wont go away until you play Bryan Adams 'Summer of '69', but then it'll turn out she's the girlfriend of the barstaff and they stop bringing you over free drinks pretty quickly.

• 3) once some guy came up to me and started looking through my records. i was mixing then, and didn't notice. i turned around and smacked his hand like he was 10 years old. he got heated and then said, "you don't have anything good anyway." and i said, "hey i didn't go up to your girlfriend and shove my hand up her skirt and then call her ugly, get the fuck out of here." one thing led to another and the bouncers kicked him out.

So wait - you consider someone touching
    your records the same as someone sexually
    & verbally assaulting your girlfriend?

that's exactly what i'm saying. and by slapping his hand i was saying i don't like black people. and by get the fuck out of here i was calling him a honkey.

i'm not sure if you were joking, but you should see its obviously a metaphor for doing something you shouldn't then trying to act like you didn't want to do it in the first place.

• I gotta go with

"Good choice!! Damn, I left that in my other box.. I knew someone would ask for that.. Hey, since you're into that and I couldn't fill that request I'll tell you what I'm going to do for you cause I'm in such a good mood up here... I'm going to play some special crazy ass suped-up super surprise for-your-ears-only shit especially for you tonight when I can fit it in so keep an ear out for it! .... Hey whats your name... I'll give you a shout when I put it on mayne....."

Then, half an hour later...........

'Yo... This one's especially for my man (insert name)... this one's for you, man... Yo, everybody give it up for (insert name).. *crazy applause* this shit is for YOU....

Then you DROP it for em.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    if you are ever asked to hook an i-pod up to your mixer for "...just one song". Tell the person "sure, but Im probably going to steal it". You have to keep a straight face. Works every time.

• Dude, you are being way too nice to these folks. I've written this here various times in the past. I DO NOT TAKE REQUESTS UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. I am not your personal jukebox. I play what I want. You like it, cool. You don't like it, cool. I could give less of a shit. 9 times outta ten, people are feelin what I'm playing, and there's ALWAYS haters and pain in the ass bitches. You gotta be direct and ice grill the shit outta these people from the get go. And another thing, you come near my setup or try to get up in the booth, I WILL PHYSICALLY REMOVE YOUR SORRY ASS.

If I'm spinning for a bunch of record geeks, it's a different dynamic. The above is more for a general club crowd. Normal people never fail to piss me off with their stupid, inappropriate behavior.

• Highlights from my friday night. Keep in mind I was playing hip hop, funk, and other party classics kind of stuff.

"Can you play some Garth Brooks?"

"Can you play some Lynard Skinard?"

"Do you have any country?"

"Can you play some phill collins?"

"Are those records? You must be an 80's child?"

"You are great. I love what you are playing? I am going to have a dance off can you play something else, something with a really big beat?"

At one point I ran to take a piss and I came back and this bitch is up in the booth flipping through my records. I said scram bitch and she ran away like a little cockroach. All in a nights work. Some of that shit was just plain funny. It was a weird night in general. The bouncer told me in his 5 months working at this place he had only ever had to kick out 2 people. On this night he kicked out 3.