96 Tears

2»

Comments

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I have a 45 they did as the Semicolons on Cameo. It's an instrumental called 'Beachcomber'.

Is it worth a damn?

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    I have a 45 they did as the Semicolons on Cameo. It's an instrumental called 'Beachcomber'.

cool, whats the other side like (both instrumentals?). What do they sound like? Was it instrumental because it was the band when the singer had left the group?

-k

• I have a 45 they did as the Semicolons on Cameo. It's an instrumental called 'Beachcomber'.

cool, whats the other side like (both instrumentals?). What do they sound like? Was it instrumental because it was the band when the singer had left the group?

-k

It's upbeat, danceable piano-led pop (written by Bobby Darin). I can't remember what the flip was like aside from the fact that it was also an instrumental.
    I think it was just put out as a goof. I'm pretty sure Rudy was still around when it was released.

• Since this thread was originally written, Abkco has FINALLY released a ? compilation that includes the two Cameo albums in their entirety as well as some odds 'n' ends. I have this new reissue, so I can truthfully disagree with this statement below:

(Action by ? & the Mysterians) didn't have the same feel as the first one (96 Tears) if I recall correctly. It felt too "commercial." I don't remember well enough about it to stick to my guns on this one.

I don't know what standards T.N. was going by, but both albums have the same energy rush. Sure, label head Neil Bogart insisted that they duplicate the "96 Tears" organ riff in places where it wasn't intended to be, but it still rocks in spite of itself. 96 Tears Forever!!

• YES!!!!!! End to end burner as the kids say. Love this LP. I think it actually has a couple breaks[/b] if I remember right (trash canny as stated). A lot of garage stuff is lame[/b] but this is some killer shit.

With all due respect to whoever wrote this, last summer...don't you think this breakbeat shit done got out of hand?

"Garage rock is lame, but ? is cool 'cause he has breakbeats" - that's what is known as "bullshit on top of bullshit!"

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    jonathon richman's cover is good too. the guy from ? was wearing spandex shorts when we saw him...

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    My mom used to watch them practice across the street when she was little. In Bobby Scotts Garage.

Iknow she has pics somewhere....

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    i like 96 tears

peace

• "8 Teen" is my jam from them, fairly common on 45. And I 2nd the 'bullshit on top of bullshit' comment. You can't front on this shit just cos there isn't a break.

$??

• Rudy Martinez and I don't know how many original members put out a vinyl/CD release of re-recordings of their stuff a few years back, because A. Klein has refused to release/license it. He is such a douche.

the best part is that a-hole wouldn't license "96 Tears" for the first Nuggets box set, but he let it be used in a fucking Pringles commercial. ugh.

• Still my favorite song that comes on the oldies channel. You'd think it would be easier to find that record in the field since it was such a huge hit. I just wanted to start this thread since we already have 12, 24, and 48 on the front page. jyeah

IMO best version of that song is on the Fire Escape "Psychotic Reaction" Lp - not too hard to find and the cover is awesome. Worth a listen.

• IMO best version of that song is on the Fire Escape "Psychotic Reaction" Lp - not too hard to find and the cover is awesome. Worth a listen.

I respect your opinion but, I have to disagree. The whole Fire Escape LP was a big let down for me. Hunt for Big Maybelle's version!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    "8 Teen" is my jam from them, fairly common on 45. And I 2nd the 'bullshit on top of bullshit' comment. You can't front on this shit just cos there isn't a break.

$??

Damn, Small Chizz on the strut.

You forgot to include some crack wit' your post!

• IMO best version of that song is on the Fire Escape "Psychotic Reaction" Lp - not too hard to find and the cover is awesome. Worth a listen.

I respect your opinion but, I have to disagree. The whole Fire Escape LP was a big let down for me. Hunt for Big Maybelle's version!

IMO the best version is by the band who originated it, ? & the Mysterians. But after you get that out of the way, Big Maybelle is hangin' in there at #2! I once interviewed ?, and he told me that that was his fave cover version.

Garland Jeffreys'"96 Tears" (from 1981) is cool, too, but those arena-rock divebomb sounds on the guitar have dated it badly.

• "8 Teen" is my jam from them, fairly common on 45. And I 2nd the 'bullshit on top of bullshit' comment. You can't front on this shit just cos there isn't a break.

$??

Damn, Small Chizz on the strut.

You forgot to include some crack wit' your post!

yes, I'm a dollar short and a day late to this thing called the interweb. I hear it has its moments.

mas slang schlitz (or I should say schitt)

blackcrack = rekkids

From my girl's brother and pause tape king Stevie Weevie:

zamboni = losing the dancefloor (i.e. 'throwing a zamboni', aka 'clearing the ice'.

some from my brother, who works as an AC on TV/Movie sets...I find them universally handy tho.

NG = Not good ('that last take was NG')

pokin' my eyes out = bothering the fuck out of me (usually by making a three stooges like gesture to your own eyes. They do this when the camera is rolling and they can't talk.)

wring it = taking a piss ('I'm going to wring it', or making a gesture like you're wringing out a towel.)

crack:

The Standells 'Some Guys Good Guys Don't Wear White'
    another garage fav. No, it doens't have a break either.

• First I agree the people at ABKCO are full of it. BUT so is anyone who refers to Question Mark by the name you did. Call him that to his face and you will find that short of a MF its about the worst thing you can call him. I have read so much misinformation online about ? and the Mysterians that it would take my next three lives just to correct it. So for now, we will go with this one--if you think calling Que by the RM name makes you look knowledgable or cool or like you know a big secret, all it does is show you know little or nothing about him and you insult him in public every time you do so.

• DocBeezy said:
    My mom used to watch them practice across the street when she was little. In Bobby Scotts Garage.

Iknow she has pics somewhere....

If your mom has photos please put her in touch with me--Question Marks house burned in 2007 and he lost everything.

• SoulOnIce said:
    Rudy Martinez and I don't know how many original members put out a vinyl/CD release of re-recordings of their stuff a few years back, because A. Klein has refused to release/license it. He is such a douche.

I just finally copped the "96 Tears" LP a few weeks ago, I mentioned in a finds post how I had been looking for a cheap one since the late 80's. It was $8, although a little rough...luckily, the most beat tracks were the ones I have on 45!

I can imagine some bad stuff on "Action," because I do have a Cameo 45 from that time, and probably that album, that is pretty pussed out, "Love Me Baby (Cherry July)" - But "Girl (You Fascinate Me)" & "Smokes" are dope...and their 45's on other labels ("Oh La La" on Super K, the stuff on Capitol) are pretty on point.

My question is, who owns/has heard their "funk" 45 on LUV from 1972??

Sound clip???

First don't think it makes you look cool to use the RM name when referring to Que cuz to him its disrespectful and he'd not even acknowledge you.
    As for the 1972 Luv release, you're referring to "Hot n Groovin'" which is a great little dance number on Que's private label. Unfortunately someone stole it and pressed 45s for which he receives NOTHING from the company distributing them.
    While I am on that subject, somewhere in this thread someone made a nasty remark about Que "letting" 96 Tears be used in a Pringles commercial. Que does not own the rights to 96 Tears--ABKCO does. He has no control over who they let use the song...but here's the deal for you "experts".... Que's been ripped off for songs and money repeatedly. He lost everything in a 2007 house fire and STILL doesn't have money to finish his house. If he wanted to sell his music to a trashcan company, I would have no problem--he has to buy food and keep the lights on too ya know..