Should have figured.... (Acetate Related)

catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
Of course the "winning bidder" was false.... should have known this would happen... here's the short story:-"The cyberspace saga of The Velvet Underground's 40-year-old first recording was to continue after fetching a false eBay bid of more than $155,000.The vintage Velvet was to be auctioned online again starting Thursday afternoon. The original bid bit the dust earlier this month when a young man in California e-mailed the seller and confessed he doesn't have enough money to buy the rare recording."Seriously, I can barely afford gas for my car to get to work," reads part of the message the seller says he got via eBay.[/b]The first auction ended Dec. 8, with eBay showing a final bid of $155,401 for the recording of music that ended up on the influential New York band's first album, "The Velvet Underground & Nico." Warren Hill, a collector in Montreal who owns the acetate LP, says he bought it at a flea market in Manhattan's Chelsea neighborhood for 75 cents in 2002.The $155,401 bid was confirmed Wednesday by eBay spokeswoman Catherine England. She told The Associated Press, however, that eBay has no way to verify whether the bid is legitimate because "the transaction is between the buyer and seller."The bidder has seven days to close on a deal, which is legally binding. After that, the seller ??? Saturn Records, of Oakland, Calif., representing Hill ??? may report a false bidder."I'm not going to sue him," a weary-sounding Hill said Wednesday in a telephone interview from Montreal. "I just want to sell it."What the hell was dude thinking bidding on that shit like it isn't a big deal??

Comments

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
    it's up on ebay again.

• can't they give a second-chance (or whatever it's called) to the runner-up bidder?

• can't they give a second-chance (or whatever it's called) to the runner-up bidder?

yeah....but, what would WE have to talk about then? :5pager:

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    This kinda shines a different light on the "there's no big deal putting in fake bids if i get outbid anyway" argument.

• This kinda shines a different light on the "there's no big deal putting in fake bids if i get outbid anyway" argument.

so, you aer saying we should all take up the first $2000 a little at a time? each only bidding increments of the lowest amount possible? hmmm....sounds like a soulstrut family function! link please...

It's like you paraphrased it better than I said it in the first place!

• It's like you paraphrased it better than I said it in the first place!

it's cosmic...we're like:

but, living in bizarro world....did you get that link? haha...

• Maybe the seller is trying to get as much publicity to maximize profits?

blahahabhahahahaha....I almost shot my whole stomache out my mouth...I laughed so hard....

actually the seller turned out to be my good friend's neighbor! i was one house away from the acetate for the entire week i stayed in montreal!!

• actually the seller turned out to be my good friend's neighbor! i was one house away from the acetate for the entire week i stayed in montreal!!

Surely the acetate is locked up in a titanium vault somewhere in a safehouse??

No, he leaves it on the back door step with his poodle tied up near it so that no one could possibly get close to stealing it.