What if...? (hip hop production related)

2»

Comments

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Seahawks by 14

• I'm about to leave this studio and hit espnzone and ride on any Niner fans in sight!

• .I could do a bomb squad type album on a indie with 500 records combined and nothin would probably happen.

• Hell, sample-based rapp as the dominant form was a relatively short segment of its lifespan anyway.

You are begging for the one Phill_Most to come in here and school you as to how sample-based rapps is That_Real_Schitt, while disco rapps and synth/drum box rapps are not.

Jonny, I am trying to give you the benefit of the doubt that you are not as big a dumbass as your friend with the pink striped shirt and birthday cake hat. Comments like this make it very hard for me to do so.

• Hell, sample-based rapp as the dominant form was a relatively short segment of its lifespan anyway.

You are begging for the one Phill_Most to come in here and school you as to how sample-based rapps is That_Real_Schitt, while disco rapps and synth/drum box rapps are not.

Jonny, I am trying to give you the benefit of the doubt that you are not as big a dumbass as your friend with the pink striped shirt and birthday cake hat. Comments like this make it very hard for me to do so.

Ahhhh, no. I am well aware of your line between what is real and what is not, and the reasoning that defines where you draw it.

I will refrain from agreeing or disagreeing with your definition of said line, however.

• the crack or the record??

I used to get that shit from Butter Teeth Keith, who smoked with a gas mask in the back of a deville sitting in the garage on blocks.

True story.

• I don't know what the dude that sold it to me was on...
    but I won't deny that anything called "Science Must Progress"
    is probably fueled by a lot of drug use.

Ahhhh, no. I am well aware of your line between what is real and what is not, and the reasoning that defines where you draw it.

uhhh... you are??? Well damn, could you tell me the reasoning behind said definition? I ain't figured that schitt out my COTdamn self!

• Well, I get the idea that Real Schitt is gritty, and Disco bands ain't that.

I disagree with you on Mantronix though.

• Well, I get the idea that Real Schitt is gritty, and Disco bands ain't that.

I disagree with you on Mantronix though.

I CHERISH Mantronix

• its just not that real schitt

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

I used to get that shit from Butter Teeth Keith, who smoked with a gas mask in the back of a deville sitting in the garage on blocks.

True story.

Some fiend was gonna suck me and my brother off for some Rawkus records.

• Some fiend was gonna suck me and my brother off for some Rawkus records.

QUOTE OF THE YEAR???

Because chained SP1200s aint gritty?

Because he is Lebanese?

Because MC Tee was considered a toy?

What's the science on that God?

Because he is Lebanese?

his sexual preference has nothing to do with it

Because he is Lebanese?

his sexual preference has nothing to do with it

This thread is on fire right now.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

QUOTE OF THE YEAR???

I love when someone like Odub tries to start a serious thread and just watching where it ends up. This one is priceless.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

QUOTE OF THE YEAR???
    That part about the fiend is the true.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i have had no idea what is going on in this thread ever since that kinetic SONZ record was posted

• Some fiend was gonna suck me and my brother off for some Rawkus records.

QUOTE OF THE YEAR???
    That part about the fiend is the true.

did the fiend swallow or spit?

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    its just not that real schitt

Because he is Lebanese?

what's with producers pairing up with mediocre mcs? mantronix + tee, timbo + magoo, primo + guru... are they insecure that better rappers will take away thier shine with rapps???

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    its just not that real schitt

Because he is Lebanese?

what's with
    producers pairing up with mediocre mcs? mantronix + tee, timbo + magoo, primo + guru... are they insecure that better rappers will take away thier shine with rapps???

Damn, people shit on Tee that much? He's not making my top 10 list anytime soon (or at all), but don't think he was that bad. Dude had a nice way of riding beats.

As for the original topic of this thread, I feel like I should have a lot to say about it, considering how ardently pro-sampling/anti-keyboards-not-being-used-by-Mannie-Fresh I am, but I just don't. I imagine that sooner or later, the keyboard era would've been inevitable as hip-hop became more palatable as pop music, but I think the sample laws made that happen sooner rather than later.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I imagine that sooner or later, the keyboard era would've been inevitable as hip-hop became more palatable as pop music, but I think the sample laws made that happen sooner rather than later.

Eh, don't really get you here

The keyboard-based rapps that get popular are generally a lot more abrasive/hardcore to the ear, doesn't really make sense to say that they are more appealing to a mainstream audience

Samples are heard in car commercials and Lupe Fiasco songs (which made NPR's top 10)... seems that folks are a bit too comfortable with them

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Q: How might of this changed the evolution of rap production starting in the mid'90s to present?

It's not about how it might have changed the evolution, but how much creativity has been suppressed in this particular art form.

Q: Would the Triton/Casio era have been inevitable regardless?

Of course. Would production usage be as prevalent as today? I'm not sure.

Q: Would it actually have created better music?

It's all depends how you look at it. Just imagine being a painter and told that you can use the colour blue, but at a cost. Every square inch will cost X amount of dollars. Could you still make a work of art? Sure... But would you be willing to use alot of blue in your masterpiece?

Q: Would it have made crate diggin' more or less popular?

About the same.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    I know we are talking about beats, BUT with more sampling would come more samples to provide hooks and choruses and that would leave less room for rappes to try to do it themselves. I absolutely hate when rappers say, sing, or spit their own chorus. I just think it's dumb. It rarely means anything, its some 'clever' phrase that fills up space said three or four (or more) times in a row just to get back to the verse. Give me chopped up samples any day over this.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I have 5 pages by my count. yay!

But friday has only begun.

Take it to the next level.

Jewish synth rap producers with asian girlfriends?