WIREMANIAX -- NO SPOILERS HERE PLAESE

GenePontecorvoGenePontecorvo 5,612 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
The propaganda of the board got to me. I'm 8.5 eps into Season One. Shit is pretty serious, and I've heard season one is just a prelude to some real greatness. But yeah, it's good to have some context for the fervor. Can't believe the dood that plays McNulty is British. So what I'm trying to say is "this shit is good. I'm hooked."Who's rockin the Omar avatar?

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    what are your thoughts on the happenings within the first 8.5 episodes?

• Man I envy you. I'de love to go back in time and have four seasons of dope TV realness ahead of me. Welcome to the wonderful world of the Wire. If you're like me you'll never look at these other terd TV shows the same way again. For real it changed my whole outlook on what TV can/should be.

• The propaganda of the board got to me. I'm 8.5 eps into Season One. Shit is pretty serious, and I've heard season one is just a prelude to some real greatness. But yeah, it's good to have some context for the fervor. Can't believe the dood that plays McNulty is British.

So what I'm trying to say is "this shit is good. I'm hooked."

Who's rockin the Omar avatar?

I am in the same boat, although I'm only 7 episodes in right now and I already love this shit. It's replacing that hole in my life where the Sopranos was (another show I caught on to waaaay too late). Can't wait to get home and watch the rest of season one on the 100+ inch projection screen and stereo system!

• what are your thoughts on the happenings within the first 8.5 episodes?

It's easy to see why it's held in such high regard. It's both a riveting, well-acted drama and top notch police procedural. The show doesn't have time for you to catch up, rather it engages the viewer from the jump and presumes your intelligence.

• im in that club too, i saw all of season 2 cause i was at a spot that had "on demand" but that's all i've seen so i'm going back to 1 and going to watch the whole thing

• Damn. My homie pointed out to me that the dood who played Orlando is the same cat that played Barnfather in HLOTS.

OKAY, SEASON ONE SPOILERS BELOW..........

Why were the State Police Narcos able to bust Orlando for *buying* from them? I thought that was "entrapment"?

Episode 12 of Season One is just about the saddest shit ever. Damn. I mean, fuck.

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    RIP Wallace. that part is so fucked up.

• Yeah I couldn't believe that with Wallace, I had already been picturing
    in my head what they would do with his character when he was 2 or 3 years
    older....NOPE. Damn.

Prezbelewski fucked up - he heard the payphone call where Wallace
    was making plans to get back to the pit - he marked it "non-pertinent".

I was kind of wondering where all those kids went...the ones in the
    house with Wallace that he handed all the juice boxes to. They just
    sort of disappeared.

• RIP Wallace. that part is so fucked up.

No doubt that hit like a ton of bricks, but the whole EP is like that...the winding down of the detail, the greed and stupidity of the higher ups. Just depressing.

• They just
    sort of disappeared.

'Cause that's how they dew.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Why were the State Police Narcos able to bust Orlando for *buying* from them? I thought that was "entrapment"?

The entrapment defense requires that the accused establish that the government induced him to commit a crime that he wouldn't otherwise be inclined to commit--for example, by leading him to believe that his life would be in danger if he doesn't do the deal. In other words, claiming that you never would have done it if the government hadn't tempted you with the prospect of making all that money ain't gonna do it.

It's a word that people throw around a lot but, as a legal defense, it almost never works.

• Why were the State Police Narcos able to bust Orlando for *buying* from them? I thought that was "entrapment"?

The entrapment defense requires that the accused establish that the government induced him to commit a crime that he wouldn't otherwise be inclined to commit--for example, by leading him to believe that his life would be in danger if he doesn't do the deal. In other words, claiming that you never would have done it if the government hadn't tempted you with the prospect of making all that money ain't gonna do it.

It's a word that people throw around a lot but, as a legal defense, it almost never works.

Thanks for the info Maury.

• That dude that plays Orlando just looks, well, rediculous. He bothered me, I'm glad he's done. I was surprised to see that Donnell Rawlings hade a character in this show. I've never seen him not being funny.

I'm not quite done with season one and somebody did just spoil it for me with mentioning the death of that lil dude, but I knew he was gonna go anyway. Hooked on the junk and workin' with the cops, you never last long in a show like this.

I can't wait to borrow season two when I return season one.

• The propaganda of the board got to me. I'm 8.5 eps into Season One. Shit is pretty serious, and I've heard season one is just a prelude to some real greatness. But yeah, it's good to have some context for the fervor. Can't believe the dood that plays McNulty is British.

So what I'm trying to say is "this shit is good. I'm hooked."

Who's rockin the Omar avatar?

dude who plays stringer bell is also british..or some shit. he also is a dj.

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    love this

"Wherever I go the real hard-core drug dealers come up to me and confide in me. I almost feel guilty turning around and saying: 'Ello, mate. My name's Idris and I'm from London.' I don't want to break the illusion." - On why he uses his American accent when talking to fans of "The Wire".

• That dude that plays Orlando just looks, well, rediculous. He bothered me, I'm glad he's done. I was surprised to see that Donnell Rawlings hade a character in this show. I've never seen him not being funny.

I'm not quite done with season one and somebody did just spoil it for me with mentioning the death of that lil dude, but I knew he was gonna go anyway. Hooked on the junk and workin' with the cops, you never last long in a show like this.

Sorry about that GB. I wanted to amend the thread title but did not know how. I put my spoilers below after a long space.

• I've watched the first 3 episodes. So far it's okay but I'm gonna keep watching since all of you seem to live and breath The Wire.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    I've watched the first 3 episodes. So far it's okay but I'm gonna keep watching since all of you seem to live and breath The Wire.

We urge you to stick with it, the show can be a little dense upon first viewing.

I also urge anyone watching the shows to read the episode summaries posted on the HBO webpage after watching an episode. I can really be helpful in following the story and they usually have some info that I didn't notice during the first viewing.

• I've watched the first 3 episodes. So far it's okay but I'm gonna keep watching since all of you seem to live and breath The Wire.

We urge you to stick with it, the show can be a little dense upon first viewing.

This is so true.

I started watching "The Wire" when it first came out due to the David Simon connects. However, for whatever reason, it didn't grab me. I think the thing is, you have to put in a little work with this show, at least at the beginning. It's definitely worth it.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    We urge you to stick with it

Season 2 almost lost me

Sorry about that GB. I wanted to amend the thread title but did not know how. I put my spoilers below after a long space.

it's all good i got 3 more seasons ahead of me yet

• Oh, here's one I mean to ask when this thread was fresh:

Season One : I may be forgetting here, but does McNulty NOT have a cell phone?

Never mind that all the detectives who go up on the roof use their cell phones
    to alert the detail office about the presence of suspects. And just remember
    that by the year 2000, anybody that has a job that keeps them "on the go" or
    out in the field has a cell phone, unless they are a complete Luddite, or
    unless they are a junkie and their "job" is stealing copper, then they probably
    don't have a cellphone.

Meanwhile, McNulty is staking out where Stringer keeps his civilian car
    (the red one) parked, and when he sees him, McNulty has to scramble to
    get on a damn PAY PHONE.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    I don't remember exactly, but I seem to remember that the homicide detectives were rocking pagers.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    my dude and slim are the only people that have a real b-more accents. well, slim has more of a PG County/DC accent, but whatever. OK, I won't say anymore shit about the accents. i'm just sound oriented. what can i say?

ms. fatback is like. "it's good, but how can you watch that after all the shit in b-more that you went on and on about for years? about how it's the most bombed out hopeless place you'd ever seen." i don't know. makes me nostalgic for gay street or druid hill in this weird sick way.

• LATE PASS WIRE FIENDS CHECK THIS!!!!!

If you're like me and just now catching up to the brilliance, HBO2 is replaying the entirety of Season 4 starting tonight in 3 episode chunks. 7PM Central. Get those Tivos fired up...I have.

If you're like me and just now catching up to the brilliance, HBO2 is replaying the entirety of Season 4 starting tonight in 3 episode chunks. 7PM Central. Get those Tivos fired up...I have.

Thanks for the heads up!

This is dope. I've seen the entire season already, but I didn't finish seasons 1, 2 and 3 until the season finale. I'd like to go back and watch from the beginning.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Oh, here's one I mean to ask when this thread was fresh:

Season One : I may be forgetting here, but does McNulty NOT have a cell phone?

Never mind that all the detectives who go up on the roof use their cell phones
    to alert the detail office about the presence of suspects. And just remember
    that by the year 2000, anybody that has a job that keeps them "on the go" or
    out in the field has a cell phone, unless they are a complete Luddite, or
    unless they are a junkie and their "job" is stealing copper, then they probably
    don't have a cellphone.

Meanwhile, McNulty is staking out where Stringer keeps his civilian car
    (the red one) parked, and when he sees him, McNulty has to scramble to
    get on a damn PAY PHONE.

Huh, you know, that must be one of his idiosyncracies--there are a couple of scenes in subsequent seasons where he uses payphones to try to arrange late night creeps, and doesn't he borrow Kima's phone to argue with his wife in one scene in season one?

Also, and I know I've said this more than once, anyone that likes the show should really check out David Simon's two books.

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    my dude and slim are the only people that have a real b-more accents. well, slim has more of a PG County/DC accent, but whatever. OK, I won't say anymore shit about the accents. i'm just sound oriented. what can i say?

ms. fatback is like. "it's good, but how can you watch that after all the shit in b-more that you went on and on about for years? about how it's the most bombed out hopeless place you'd ever seen." i don't know. makes me nostalgic for gay street or druid hill in this weird sick way.

to be fair, lots of people in baltimore dont really have baltimore accents. least the way i see it. its only real distinct on east side/essex/dundalk

• Also, and I know I've said this more than once, anyone that likes the show should really check out David Simon's two books.

Yup. "The Corner" and "Homicide". Also, if not up on them, the DVDs for H:LoTS are out there. The show took a little bit to hit it's stride but it was some of the best TV of the 90s. Not up to the superb standard of "The Wire", but you see the seeds. Great characters. It's as much a character-driven drama as police procedural. Andre Braugher was phenomenal on the show.