The Beach Boys - Wild Honey

TheBeatGoesTheBeatGoes 711 Posts
edited April 2018 in Music Talk
i just copped (borrowed from my local library) this CD. My indy rock friend told me I needed to hear it that it was really a "soul" album and the most "funky" the beach boys get. When i think beach boys i don't think of soul/funk but my friend doesn't make many musical recommendations to me so i took his word and damn this album is great. I can see why the indy rocker in him loves it the whole thing was recorded in a house, not a studio. It sounds like The Shins studied this album before they started recording. Wild Honey came out in 1967, pre White Album. It's not hard to imagine why this album wasn't popular when it came out. I wonder how hard it is to fine a vinyl copy in good condition...i hope this post doesn't drive up the gemm/ebay prices.Strutters should check out this album even if they hate the beach boys, even if they hate the Beach Boys & Pet Sounds....even if they hate the Beach Boys, Pet Sounds & "Don't Worry Baby" they should still give this album a chance. If you hate all that then fine you can give up on The Beach Boys.

Comments

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Ive always wondered about that album.

Is Charles Lloyd anywhere on that album?

He had a few of the Beach Boys on a couple of his albums from around the same time.

Also, i've recently been told that The BEach Boys are a strictly "guy thing". And after asking around, I couldnt find ANY women that liked them. Can anyone this experience?

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    i hope this post doesn't drive up the gemm/ebay prices.

Hilarious.

It's a great album. Also see: Friends, Sunflower, & Surf's Up.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    i hope this post doesn't drive up the gemm/ebay prices.

Hilarious.

It's a great album. Also see: Friends, Sunflower, & Surf's Up.

He may be onto something.

I could of swore this was a $3 LP, now I'm seeing it go upwards of 6.

the spot is blown

Also see: their 20/20 & Smiley Smile albums

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

I could of swore this was a $3 LP, now I'm seeing it go upwards of 6.

the spot is blown

• Odd. I just had a conversation about this very album on another board yesterday. Speaking as a huge Beach Boys fanboy, "Wild Honey" is one of their two most consistent albums ("Pet Sounds" is the other), and probably the easiest to get into for those coming from a soul background. It's better to come in expecting something R&B inspired rather than a true R&B album though.

That said, I think it just doesn't have those transcendentally beautiful cuts that distinguish the upper echelon of Beach Boys albums from the rest. Everything is of a very high quality, but nothing that you would point out as a 'you just have to hear this' cut.

Definitely follow up with "Sunflower" or "Friends" if you dig it. Especially for those who never 'got' "Pet Sounds." I have a two-disc thing I did a couple years back of my favorite tracks from 1968-1977 that I put together. If anyone shows interest, I can see if I can track it down at home & upload.

• Also, Charles Lloyd appears on a few Beach Boys tracks in the early and mid '70s. Just playing as a studio musician, though - not featured.

And the Beach Boys do seem to be appreciated by a primarily male audience, especially among boomers. The gender gap gets a little closer with 20-something hipsters, but the obsessives are still mostly men. I guess you can say that about any band though.

• It's a great album. Also see: Friends, Sunflower, & Surf's Up.

thanks...will do

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    Carl gets mad soulful on "i was made to love her"...

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    check Kokomo, very funky..

• check Kokomo, very funky..

no thank you, but does anyone have the "disco" version of one of the wild honey tracks? I read about it in the liner notes and would like to check that one out.

• check Kokomo, very funky..

no thank you, but does anyone have the "disco" version of one of the wild honey tracks? I read about it in the liner notes and would like to check that one out.

Oof. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKfdW0pKBs0

• Dennis is visible at 1:12. that's him on the left playing what looks to be the cymbal next to the bongos. this is probably a telling sign of his condition at that time, although he did return to the real drumkit later on in his carrer

indeed

• "Aren't You Glad" is my shit.

• Dennis is visible at 1:12. that's him on the left playing what looks to be the cymbal next to the bongos. this is probably a telling sign of his condition at that time, although he did return to the real drumkit later on in his carrer

indeed

Yeah. I don't think I've seen hardly any concert footage from the late '60s on where Dennis isn't visibly trashed. They had to bring in Billy Hinsche to cover drumming duties on tour and in the studio if he couldn't do it. And during the times he was fired of course.