Storage units: heated or not?

JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
So I need to throw a few thousand records into storage for about a year. I live in beautiful (read: cold and rainy) Seattle. Should I shell out and get a heated unit, or will I be good with normal mini storage? Opinions? Horror stories?

Comments

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    So I need to throw a few thousand records into storage for about a year. I live in beautiful (read: cold and rainy) Seattle. Should I shell out and get a heated unit, or will I be good with normal mini storage?

Opinions? Horror stories?

I need an answer to this too, I have to put my shit in storage back in Australia...

peace.

• ??

Nobody's done this?

• pj4533pj4533 481 Posts
    I am interested too....

my plan right now is to go with a climate controlled unit from the moving company, Gentle Giant. They quoted me 75$/month, but I have to contact them special if I want to get in to the unit (no free access).

-pj

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I'd say doesn't matter. Heated isn't as important as out of the sun. Heated matters if you're gonna have dudes coming through flipping in the locker and not die of hypothermia. No Arizona Desert storage lockers either. B*van, Australia can be hot as f8ck so find a place that is either shady or climate controlled.
    Peace
    T.N.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    If the unit gets too cold it can lead to moisture. I would think this would be a major concern especially in a place like Washington/Oregon/NorCal where it gets very damp in the winter. I'd probably pay the extra money to not risk my records growing mold.

• If the unit gets too cold it can lead to moisture. I would think this would be a major concern especially in a place like Washington/Oregon/NorCal where it gets very damp in the winter. I'd probably pay the extra money to not risk my records growing mold.

Yeah, that's kind of what I'm thinking. I've got them in a temporary storage unit in the city and I found a damp spot on the floor. NAGLx1000.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Yeah only time I did it was out of necessity, had records along with a bunch of other stuff in San Diego, so I didn't have to worry about moisture. But anywhere north of the Bay I'd inquire whether the non-heated units have a dehumidifier, and how much the temperature fluxuates. Cause I've heard that above all else its the change in temp that will mess with your records.

• make sure the storage unit is housed inside a building, those are usually kept at a consistent temperature. Dont go for those units that are outdoors like garages.

If moisture is a concern arent there those silca gel packets you can scatter around the locker?

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    you can store all raers at my place for free