Learning Languages

2»

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    In most languages the word for mother contains a "ma" sound and the word for father contains a "pa" or "ba" sounds.

mama, papa...

in korean its

omma, appa...

Those are the only ones I know....

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    In most languages the word for mother contains a "ma" sound and the word for father contains a "pa" or "ba" sounds.

mama, papa...

in korean its

omma, appa...

Those are the only ones I know....

In Hebrew, I think it's imma & abba.

In Russian, its mats & atyezt

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    about that native tongue thing...while watching futurama, i picked up on a word, i think it was lugar, which is similar to a word in konkani (what my parents speak), an i guess it was used in the context of place, when we use it for space. thought that was an interesting commonality.

Did Konkani take any of the Portuguese language along (Goa)? If so, there's your relationship maybe? You'd know better than I of course.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    about that native tongue thing...while watching futurama, i picked up on a word, i think it was lugar, which is similar to a word in konkani (what my parents speak), an i guess it was used in the context of place, when we use it for space. thought that was an interesting commonality.

Did Konkani take any of the Portuguese language along (Goa)? If so, there's your relationship maybe? You'd know better than I of course.

oh big time...it was colonized by Portugal...i'd say 70% of the words in konkani sound like a derivation of Portuguese or are Portuguese...I'm no expert though...i was born in canada and went back 3 times...architecture is interesting too cause its of both worlds