Good Look for the Grammys...

coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
Blige Leads Grammy Nominations With 8 By JEFF LEEDSMary J. Blige, the resilient R&B star whose comeback album featured raw emotions and a confessional style, scored a leading eight Grammy nominations today as the recording academy announced the contenders for its annual awards.???Be Without You,??? a single from Ms. Blige???s album ???The Breakthrough,??? drew nominations in two big categories, record of the year and song of the year, although the album itself did not make the list of nominees for album of the year. Ms. Blige, who helped announce the nominations at a news conference today in Los Angeles, also received one for her recording, with the rock band U2, of the band???s song ???One,??? which they performed on the last Grammy telecast in February. The 49th annual Grammy awards will be handed out on Feb. 11 during a CBS broadcast from the Staples Center in Los Angeles. Ms. Blige won???t be the only nominee to have traveled a rocky road to the awards. The multiplatinum country act the Dixie Chicks, who found their career sidetracked after their lead singer, Natalie Maines, criticized President Bush and prompted a revolt among country fans at the outset of the Iraq war, received five nominations, including for album, record and song of the year, for their comeback record ???Taking the Long Way.??? Grammy voters also recognized a somewhat more traditional Nashville act: Carrie Underwood, the winner last year on ???American Idol.??? Ms. Underwood???s three nominations ??? including best new artist ??? offered more proof that the popular TV contest isn???t a handicap in the Grammy competition; Kelly Clarkson, another ???Idol??? contestant, was a standout winner at the last Grammy awards. One name called far less frequently than expected, however, was that of Bob Dylan, whose album ???Modern Times??? has been considered by some critics to be another late-career masterpiece. Mr. Dylan received three nominations, but none in the major categories. The nominees for album of the year, aside from the Dixie Chicks, are rock veterans the Red Hot Chili Peppers (they drew six nominations total), the pop singer Justin Timberlake (four nominations), adult-friendly pop singer John Mayer (four nominations), and the experimental hip-hop duo Gnarls Barkley (four nominations; they were also nominated for record of the year for the single ???Crazy???). The other contenders for record of the year include two young singers who are also competing for best new artist ??? James Blunt (five nominations) and Corrine Bailey Rae (three). The two are also in the running for song of the year (which goes to songwriters, who may or may not also perform the song), as are the writers of Ms. Underwood???s hit, ???Jesus, Take the Wheel.??? Also competing for best new artist are the R&B upstart Chris Brown and the singer Imogen Heap, who separately received a nomination for best song for motion picture or television for her song for ???The Chronicles of Narnia??? film. Two new rock acts ??? the Arctic Monkeys, the British band that generated huge popularity on MySpace.com, and the Raconteurs, featuring Jack White of the White Stripes ??? got two nominations each in the rock categories. In rap, Ludacris and T.I. (who have both attracted notice for their turns as Hollywood actors over the past year or so) and the newcomer Lupe Fiasco led the field, with each drawing multiple nominations including for best rap album and best rap song (for their roles as writers or co-writers).Rick Rubin, the producer of the Dixie Chicks??? and Red Hot Chili Peppers??? albums, received a nomination for producer of the year, as did Will.i.am of the Black Eyed Peas for his work with Ms. Blige and others; T Bone Burnett, Howard Benson and Danger Mouse, who is one half of Gnarls Barkley. Timbaland, who had been considered a contender for the hits he produced for Mr. Timberlake and Nelly Furtado, did not make the list.http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/07/arts/music/08grammycnd.html?oref=login

Comments

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    I haven't heard her last album, but it's long overdue for Mary.

p.s. your avatar likeness is

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    James Blunt (five nominations)

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Mary album is good but not 8 Grammys good, even though its not just about the music.

Does the Ipod generation even care about a goddamn Grammy?

Mary doesnt have a Grammy yet?

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Totally. I type up all the winners in the iTunes "notes" section.

• Gnarls f***ing barkley! dammmmmm!

• Has Timbaland ever been nominated?

Does the award alter your perspective of an artist?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Does the award alter your perspective of an artist?

I doubt it has any meaning for anyone with more than a casual interest in music--however, I'm always glad to see artists that I like nominated, because it means that they will experience a spike in sales to old people.

because it means that they will experience a spike in sales

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Has Timbaland ever been nominated?
    I donno but the fact that he didnt get it this year and dangermouse did is like x1,000,000

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I donno but the fact that he didnt get it this year and dangermouse did is like
    x1,000,000

You should be nominated too. I'm not sure for what, but like, you deserve something.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Most likely, your favorite artsists have never been nominated or won a Grammy.

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    Most likely, your favorite artsists have never been nominated or won a Grammy.

You're probably not referring to moi...Me and Grandpa Shig rep hard for the pop music lovers up in this place.

• Has Timbaland ever been nominated?
    x1,000,000

Fuck Dangermouse. Not only is that dude a complete hack but he's built a career on a fanbase that woudn't be caught dead "hearing that crazy rap music".

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    x1,000,000

Fuck Dangermouse. Not only is that dude a complete hack but he's built a career on a fanbase that woudn't be caught dead "hearing that crazy rap music".

You can't blame an artist based on who listens to their music or how their label markets their music. Dangermouse is a complete hack? Alright if you don't like him, but a hack? Hardly.

Hey, but guess what I don't have any respect for?

The Grammies.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

Also competing for best new artist are the R&B upstart Chris Brown ...

not a good look at all

he and mary took home the most awards at the billboard show. i don't understand what is appealling about the guy.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

not a good look at all

he and mary took home the most awards at the billboard show. i don't understand what is appealling about the guy.
    what were your thoughts on B2K?

did beyonce's record not make the cut-off date or something?

'IRREPLACEABLE' is better than anything else on the radio right now... this year's "we belong toghether"

good video too

not a good look at all

what were your thoughts on B2K?

now there were some young mens i could get my mind around

Mary's stuff played ALL THROUGHOUT THE SUMMER.

• You're probably not referring to moi...Me and Grandpa Shig rep hard for the pop music lovers up in this place.

who do you consider pop? Maroon 5? Jay Z? Christine Aguilera? Third Eye Blind? Coldplay? any American Idol stars?