New stylus inquiry? Suggestions?

tjamestjames 156 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
I know this comes up almost weekly but I'm hoping someone has a suggestion... I'm looking for a stylus that provides quality sound with minimal burn, I rarely take my turntables with me when I play out and I don't scratch (maybe a little back-cueing and beat matching). Any help is appreciated - thanks.tjames

Comments

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    is the search function that fucked up?

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    for a specific type of music? price range?

• tjamestjames 156 Posts
    is the search function that fucked up?

I did a search and came up with a thread about needles for scratching. Regarding musical styles: soul, funk, disco, boogie... 12" & 45's (some styrene).

tjames

• tjamestjames 156 Posts
    for a specific type of music? price range?

.... regarding price, I'm flexible.

Well, I recommend Ortofon in general, but there are excellent systems from Stanton and Shure as well. I like the sound of the Ortofon systems (I use a nightclub S - yellow one) and they do very little harm to records. If you use it for Djing and listening I would not buy a pricey audiophile system.

• Very much recommend this if all you plan on doing is listening/ sampling. Great sound and minimal wear to your records. You wouldn't want to scratch with this one though or do any beat matching...so ortophon might be the way to go.

• this is an interesting idea... do you guys use a dif needle for 'listening/ sampling"or general recording? i've been using the 447 through a 56 and i don't think i'm really liking the results.

PS sorry for jackin your thread.

JBLOW

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i use the same needle beatsoup mentioned (i dont even remember the name of it) played through a 56 and i use it for digitizing vinyl and sampling. i would use it for general listening purposes but i really cant be hassled to switching the needle out that much. maybe if i had a third turntable or something

this is an interesting idea... do you guys use a dif needle for 'listening/ sampling"or general recording?

yes I do. for listening and sampling I use an elliptic needle (ortofon nightclub e), instead of the spherical version. I also use less weight than for mixing purposes and the adjustment of the anti-skating is more important in this context.

The sound of elliptic needles is superior, but they harm the record a lot if you start scratching, back-cueing aso. So, for listening and sampling I would recommend elliptic needles, but for multipurpose-use I would use a high quality spherical system.