Wax Poetics Issue 20 (Finally JA related)

picoandsepulvedapicoandsepulveda 1,026 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
i don't read this mag much and i could be wrong but they have yet to cover Jamaican music in depth, so here it is at last.http://waxpoetics.com/issues/issue_20/

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Running advertisements for the Karrine Steffens DVD is an interesting new direction for WP...

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    call me
    but

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    call me
    but

I've never really been into reggae, there's some dancehall stuff that gets pretty crazy, but other than that I haven't found much. Lee Scratch Perry is a nutter, though I heard from a friend that the band he's touring with right now is real good.

Has Wax Poetics done a Brazillian music issue yet? Cause they should.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

I've never really been into reggae, there's some dancehall stuff that gets pretty crazy, but other than that I haven't found much. Lee Scratch Perry is a nutter, though I heard from a friend that the band he's touring with right now is real good.

Has Wax Poetics done a Brazillian music issue yet? Cause they should.

alright. that's enough.

BAN

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Running advertisements for the Karrine Steffens DVD is an interesting new direction for WP...

Hey, get that cash, right? Superhead got a family to feed.

Hey, get that cash, right? Superhead got a family to feed.

Also features ads for Infiniti.

A friend of coselmed's that does consulting was working on a project last year trying to reignite interest in Infiniti amongst Black consumers... somehow, I don't think advertising in WP is really going to accomplish that.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    I recently signed up for a subscription (3 weeks to a month ago) does anyone know how soon they send the newest issue to subscribers? in this case Canadian subscribers? I have heard that stores get them first in many cases.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    call me
    but

Haters get the bozak, rasclaat!
    I've been waiting for this type of issue for awhile now.
    They started off with a couple great reggae articles in the first
    few issues and then not much coverage.
    I'm glad they've finally gotten around to it.
    It was long overdue.

• grahamgraham 201 Posts
    My subscription just ended, Im definately not renewing. The mag comes way later than its on news stands, the service to Canada is

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    yeah, here in hawaii i would always get it after it hit the stores. im more concerned with getting it as fast as possible compared to saving like 5 bucks a year or whatever.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    There's no way that Lee Perry cover story could be anywhere near as good as the Grand Royal cover story from 10 years ago... and there are so, so many JA greats whose stories haven't been regurgitated in the American press a few times already

that Grand Royal one is so dope.... my friend had like 6 copies of the mag and gave me one, complete with the Biz maxi disc .. i love that lee perry interview.. i want to hear the Robert Palmer/Lee Scratch track/s

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    There's no way that Lee Perry cover story could be anywhere near as good as the Grand Royal cover story from 10 years ago... and there are so, so many JA greats whose stories haven't been regurgitated in the American press a few times already

That issue of Grand Royal was HOT!
    I lost mine copy years ago and have been looking for one ever since.

There's no way that Lee Perry cover story could be anywhere near as good as the Grand Royal cover story from 10 years ago...

It's just an excerpt from Dave Katz's book.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    that Grand Royal one is so dope.... my friend had like 6 copies of the mag and gave me one, complete with the Biz maxi disc .. i love that lee perry interview.. i want to hear the Robert Palmer/Lee Scratch track/s

"love can run faster"

great tune..., has a lot more changes in it than most reggae songs...

b-side to "doctor, doctor", pretty easy to find for 25 cents...

There's no way that Lee Perry cover story could be anywhere near as good as the Grand Royal cover story from 10 years ago...

And I seem to recall they had to run some apology regarding info that someone had made up as part of the feature. It was in a later issue.

And I seem to recall they had to run some apology regarding info that someone had made up as part of the feature. It was in a later issue.

The WP article that is--I've never seen the Grand Royal one.

The WP article that is--I've never seen the Grand Royal one.

Ahhhh....yeah that Grand Royal interview I am pretty sure was a serious bone of contention between the mag, the Beasties, and Mr Perry. I seem to recall the original editor of GR was canned over it. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

• Speaking of the Lee Perry article, does anyone know if the original mix of Heart of the Congos that Katz talks about still exists? I wouldn't mind hearing the album without all of the reverb and delay just for comparison.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    as much as i love eightball and mjg, what are they doing in this magazine?

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    Speaking of the Lee Perry article, does anyone know if the original mix of Heart of the Congos that Katz talks about still exists? I wouldn't mind hearing the album without all of the reverb and delay just for comparison.

I did not read the article yet, but there are many different versions around. I also have the 2LP simply vinyl release, which includes various versions.

http://www.smokeyroom.net/albums/heartofthecongos.htm

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    it's coming

in flight

dubstar777rastaheart

My subscription just ended, Im definately not renewing. The mag comes way later than its on news stands, the service to Canada is

I got the issue in the mail today.. I'm not mad at that service , when did it hit newstands?

only shitty thing is that it gets somewhat bent in the middle.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    as much as i love eightball and mjg, what are they doing in this magazine?

That was the highlight for me, 'cause if I see another Lee Perry suckfest im gonna puke.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    if I see another Lee Perry suckfest im gonna puke.

Yeah, seriously. I'm down for Scratch and all, but
    there are MANY other JA producers and artists that
    could use a little ink spilled in their favor - Perry
    is becoming the Marley of the new century, "you like
    reggae, brah? you like Lee Perry?"

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Hasnt the dickriding been goin on since the mid 90's?

I was never a Wax Poetics reader. So I picked up my first copy w/ this issue.
    When I saw Perry's face on the cover - I thought....
    Here we go again. I dont know this magazine's history so i cany hatt. But for Perry to be my baptism...

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    the article on Coffey was an informative read. he played on so many classics.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

I got the issue in the mail today.. I'm not mad at that service , when did it hit newstands?

only shitty thing is that it gets somewhat bent in the middle.
    It would be really nice to have Wax Po' available for sale in Columbus.

Probably time to buy a 1-year subscription.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    the article on Coffey was an informative read. he played on so many classics.

Hasnt the dickriding been goin on since the mid 90's?

At least--he is a longtime favorite of indie rock dudes that don't actually like reggae.

Same dudes that profess themselves to be really into dub, because Black music is more palatable to them when the vocals have been mixed out.