did Ali invent rap???

bozakbozak 334 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=alirap1"The ESPN documentary "Ali Rap" (airing Saturday at 9 p.m. ET on ESPN) is built loosely on the premise that Muhammad Ali unknowingly invented rap music, simply by being himself in public. If true, this would mean that rap did not originate (as commonly believed) in the South Bronx during the '70s; it would mean rap was invented in Kentucky during the '60s."

Comments

• No, it was invented by Bob Dylan, who is, in fact, from Jamaica.

Just kidding. We all know that Jacques DuTronc invented le rap!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=alirap1

"The ESPN documentary "Ali Rap" (airing Saturday at 9 p.m. ET on ESPN) is built loosely on the premise that Muhammad Ali unknowingly invented rap music, simply by being himself in public. If true, this would mean that rap did not originate (as commonly believed) in the South Bronx during the '70s; it would mean rap was invented in Kentucky during the '60s."

• What? No credit for Nipsey Russell????

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    We all know that Jacques DuTronc invented le rap!

There was a group of 4 French exchange students at my house a couple weeks ago and I tried to convince them that DuTronc invented rap. They chuckled and said in a wonderful French accent, 'Jacques DuTronc? That is grandfather music!' Then they all sang along to a France Gall record I played. Good times

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    What? No credit for Pigmeat Markham?

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    We all know that Jacques DuTronc invented le rap!

There was a group of 4 French exchange students at my house a couple weeks ago and I tried to convince them that DuTronc invented rap. They chuckled and said in a wonderful French accent, 'Jacques DuTronc? That is grandfather music!' Then they all sang along to a France Gall record I played. Good times

French exchange students say funny stuff. I had one stay with me during high school, and we were kickin it and talking about how cool the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles were back in the day, and dude busts out with "Ninja Turtles? That is for babies!"

No one "invented" rap music. Not Ali, not DuTronc, not The Lost or The Last Poets, or crazies like Ken Nordine. You can't invent something as fundamental as rhyming over music. Rapping was popularized, not invented.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    What? No credit for Project Blowed?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    No one "invented" rap music. Not Ali, not DuTronc, not The Lost or The Last Poets, or crazies like Ken Nordine. You can't invent something as fundamental as rhyming over music. Rapping was popularized, not invented.

"rapping"

Barry White
    Muhammad Ali
    Issac Hayes
    Johnny Cash and a gang of other country mo fuckas
    Millie Jackson
    LeRoi Jones
    Nikki Giovanni
    Gil Scott Heron
    Last Poets
    All the Jamacian Cats who preceded Hip Hop......

I dont care who mo fuckas present to the public as proto-rap, the UFO decends on Sedrick & Cedar.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Rapping was popularized
    By whom (first)?

Rapping was popularized
    By who (first)?

Mario Van Peebles.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Rapping was popularized
    By who (first)?

Mario Van Peebles.

Tupac

• PunditPundit 438 Posts
    Rapping was popularized
    By who (first)?

To truly get to the bottom of this outrage, it is necessary to travel back in time to 1948, before anyone had heard of "Afrika Bambaata" or "Grandmaster Flash". This was a time when a young white man named T. Texas Tyler relased his ground-breaking single "Deck of Cards" and became the first in a long line of white European Americans to utilize "rap" - a section of spoken dialog over a backing track wholly or predominantly characterized by the emission of a succession of repetitive beats. It was not known as "rap" at that point in history, his releases were called "country narrative records" or "talking songs", but the basic "rap" idea of speaking over a pounding beat was there.

Tyler (real name David Luke Myrick, born 6/20/1916 in Mena, Arkansas and known as "the man with a million friends") had thus laid the groundwork for what was to be an explosion of white "rapping", that was to continue up until the late 70s when "rap" music was hijacked by African Americans.[/b]

http://www.adequacy.org/stories/2002.7.1.101815.3932.html

I heart the internet.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    And if rap was popularized by multiple people: who was the most significant popularizer?

Rapping was popularized
    By who (first)?

To truly get to the bottom of this outrage, it is necessary to travel back in time to 1948, before anyone had heard of "Afrika Bambaata" or "Grandmaster Flash". This was a time when a young white man named T. Texas Tyler relased his ground-breaking single "Deck of Cards" and became the first in a long line of white European Americans to utilize "rap" - a section of spoken dialog over a backing track wholly or predominantly characterized by the emission of a succession of repetitive beats. It was not known as "rap" at that point in history, his releases were called "country narrative records" or "talking songs", but the basic "rap" idea of speaking over a pounding beat was there.

Tyler (real name David Luke Myrick, born 6/20/1916 in Mena, Arkansas and known as "the man with a million friends") had thus laid the groundwork for what was to be an explosion of white "rapping", that was to continue up until the late 70s when "rap" music was hijacked by African Americans.[/b]

People have been rhyming since the dawn of time. Whether its with Muslim troubadour poetry challenges or folklore tall tales to music.

Anybody trying to claim pioneer status before Kool Herc & them can EAT A DICK.

• PunditPundit 438 Posts
    It's actually kinda hard to tell if dude is truly racist or on some other sarcastic schitt, but either way, it's a fairly hilarious read.

• Im not sure who Jack is or when he did his inventing of rap, But I can think Of at least one tune that was Rap before rap was rap.

The song is called "The Rap Man" or something simular to that.....this tune was made in the 20s-30s.

So anyhow theres 2 more cents.

• And if rap was popularized by multiple people: who was the most significant popularizer?

Ovid

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Blondie invented rap in 1981. End of.

• What? No credit for Dolemite????

• We all know that Jacques DuTronc invented le rap!

ha! I remember bringing my finds back to my cousin's girlfriends apartment in Paris after an afternoon diggin' at the clingacourt flea...and her just giggling at my finds...she thought the polnareffs and france gall records were the squarest shit ever! Also, I posted a mix of my Italy finds over at another board and it got called "italian housewife music"...