NYC heads, Best Bagels?

Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
edited June 2005 in Off Topic (NRR)
I used to get down with H&H, run in there and grab a hot everything bagel on the way to the train. But now, it's all about Tal Bagels on Broadway between 91st & 92nd. Tal Bagels is KILLIN' IT! Any other bagel spots you guys are feelin'?

Comments

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    I love me some bagels

(and it shows)

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    I used to get down with H&H, run in there and grab a hot everything bagel on the way to the train. But now, it's all about Tal Bagels on Broadway between 91st & 92nd. Tal Bagels is KILLIN' IT! Any other bagel spots you guys are feelin'?

Los Bagels on 1061 I Street, Arcata California.
    http://www.losbagels.com/

paging peacefulrotation

Larupin's Mustard Dill Sauce is so focused right now.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    dude, you need to step up to the next level of the bagel game and get with bialys. Best of NY in my opinion is........

Kossar's

Next move is to match that up w/ some smoked fish from either.....

Murray's Sturgeon Shop

Russ & Daughters

Barney Greengrass

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

paging peacefulrotation

Sorry hommie, but California bagels? Near Humbolt? Do they put weed in 'em?
    New York City is the ONLY place in the world to get REAL on point bagels. NO JOKE! The NYC water is part of what makes the bagels so good. The water in NYC comes from up in the catskill mountains and is very good. Folls in Miami with authentic New York bagel shops actually truck down NYC water to make the bagels. Shit is real son!!!!

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    dude, you need to step up to the next level of the bagel game and get with bialys. Best of NY in my opinion is........

Kossar's

Next move is the match that up w/ some smoked fish from either.....

Murray's Sturgeon Shop
    Russ & Daughters
    Barney Greengrass

Aser U CRAZY! You always know the spots! I get down with Barney Greengrass "The Sturgeon King!" Barney Greengrass is bananas! We were there one time and these folls serve cold bortsch in tall glasses. Folls were just drinkin' cold bortsch in the summer. That was funny.

paging peacefulrotation

Sorry hommie, but California bagels? Near Humbolt? Do they put weed in 'em?
    New York City is the ONLY place in the world to get REAL on point bagels. NO JOKE! The NYC water is part of what makes the bagels so good. The water in NYC comes from up in the catskill mountains and is very good. Folls in Miami with authentic New York bagel shops actually truck down NYC water to make the bagels. Shit is real son!!!!

I've seen it before, I'll see it again
    Young tenders sayin' "Los, would you be my man (bagel)

I don't know what it is homie. Perhaps it is weed. But those fucking hippies know what's up. You sound like thousands that have come before you. Straight dissing. Then they step in the arena, order, and get all weirdo. OHMYGOD. It's sad. Really. I was friends with this former junkie born-n-bred Brooklyner who had thousands of whore stories as well as bagel stories -- moved to Humboldt to, as he said, "get away from shit" only to fall in love with the bagels.

paging peacefulrotation

And, there is a US Bagel Competition of some kind, and believe it or not, Los Bagels won over New York. I heard it on NPR, so you know, it's fair and accurate. Those hippies are serious...

• Options
    The NYC water is part of what makes the bagels so good. The water in NYC comes from up in the catskill mountains and is very good. Folls in Miami with authentic New York bagel shops actually truck down NYC water to make the bagels. Shit is real son!!!!

That's real talk. Former Uncle Tim owned the Italian spot in Kissimmee FL, and had water sent down from NYC to cook his pasta with.

I'm not about bagels though, I'm svelte.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I got a question for headz who have been to H&H...I used to have to "bake" the bagels for a job I worked at, and we used frozen H&H that were delivered by the case. On each case it had all the types they sold, with the kind inside being checked off. One that was listed but that we didn't carry was "Green Bagels."

What the fuck are "Green Bagels???"

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    cosign on Kossars
    Ess-a-bagel on 21 St. and 1 Ave. is pretty fucking bomb too

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    No offence, friends, but New York bagels are like CTI records; you might find a the odd decent track, but it's still CTI and not, say, Strata-East.

The only place to get a Strata-East bagel is Montreal, specifically St. Viateur bagels:

For a bagel to qualify as a real bagel, it must first be boiled in honey water and then baked in a wood-burning oven. Anybody who has eaten a true Montreal bagel will vouch for this.

• MangomanMangoman 549 Posts

Man Chan we eat the same!! I just tried a passion fruit bagel last week! Whoa nice!!! Panera and Einstiens out here in my neck of the woods... I'm sure NOW WHY got the best without a doubt!!!! Shoot even them street cart sabrets are the bomb... Cat Rat Dog on a stick... Shoot just like Rat Shapo!

• Options

What the fuck are "Green Bagels???"

Dyed for St.Patricks Day I think.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts

Aser U CRAZY! You always know the spots! I get down with Barney Greengrass "The Sturgeon King!" Barney Greengrass is bananas! We were there one time and these folls serve cold bortsch in tall glasses. Folls were just drinkin' cold bortsch in the summer. That was funny.

last time I was there I had the borscht, it is a bit weird at first but you get used to it. Not something I would order often though................their nova w/ scrambled eggs and onions is bliss encapsulated on a diner plate. Plus it's places like that which embody nyc, not the foo foo b.s. that's all over east village and les.

danno - dude I know montreal is up on the bagels, but don't judge nyc bagels on any diner dude. Yes a lot of them are lame, but h&h is the real deal. Plus you can't get bialeys in montreal......

the story of the bialy is actually a very touching one, with roots tracing back to the occupation of Poland by the Nazis. A good read....

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I gotta cosign on Kossar's bialys. Garlic like woah. Hot in paper bags. Whenever I'm within two blocks of that joint, I'm there stankin'.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Ever had a pastrami sandwich from Katz's? That with matzah ball soup is the DON lunch.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Windsor Bagels (?) in BK. 9th ave and Winsor st. Park slope/Windsor Terrace

Good stuff

Good stuff

oh shit, that's right by my new address. thanks, tom.

Good stuff

oh snizzap...
    that's right by my new amazing loft space.
    slice the brie, tommmy.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I grew up with H+H on 72nd. Im still faithful but im sure there are other spots in Nyc that have surpassed H+H. "the Best" is relative.

Good stuff

oh snizzap...
    that's right by my new amazing loft space.
    slice the brie, tommmy.

somehow, this NEVER gets old to you, does it?

No brie on my bagel, BIALYATCH!

somehow, this NEVER gets old to you, does it?

No brie on my bagel, BIALYATCH!

it's your hair. it makes me so fucking jealous.
    (page me)

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    (page me)

(page me)

• awallawall 673 Posts
    I've seen it before, I'll see it again
    Young tenders sayin' "Los, would you be my man (bagel)

I don't know what it is homie. Perhaps it is weed. But those fucking hippies know what's up. You sound like thousands that have come before you. Straight dissing. Then they step in the arena, order, and get all weirdo. OHMYGOD. It's sad. Really. I was friends with this former junkie born-n-bred Brooklyner who had thousands of whore stories as well as bagel stories -- moved to Humboldt to, as he said, "get away from shit" only to fall in love with the bagels.

paging peacefulrotation

And, there is a US Bagel Competition of some kind, and believe it or not, Los Bagels won over New York. I heard it on NPR, so you know, it's fair and accurate. Those hippies are serious...

YES!! I grew up with those fucking bagels. I had guitar lessons upstairs at the music store next door & i would always eat there afterward. in high school we would go every friday before school...the bagels would be fresh out the oven, all warm and soft. if i remeber correctly my folks are friends with the dude in the middle of this picture.

it's gone a bit downhill...they jacked up their prices recently and nothing there is really a good deal anymore. my friends that worked there don't anymore so i no longer have the hook up.

you from arcata? i'm moving back there for this summer. housesitting for the folks. looking forward to some bagels.

paging peacefulrotation

YES!! I grew up with those fucking bagels. I had guitar lessons upstairs at the music store next door & i would always eat there afterward. in high school we would go every friday before school...the bagels would be fresh out the oven, all warm and soft. if i remeber correctly my folks are friends with the dude in the middle of this picture.

it's gone a bit downhill...they jacked up their prices recently and nothing there is really a good deal anymore. my friends that worked there don't anymore so i no longer have the hook up.

you from arcata? i'm moving back there for this summer. housesitting for the folks. looking forward to some bagels.

That's awesome!

PAGING PEACEFULROTATION

Dude is scurred to represent McKinnleyville. Thinks he's all bayified now or something?

I lived in Arcata for a few years. Did you know the dude S*l*m*n who worked there? Red-haired dude.

I'll be in Arcata this summer. We should dig for some raer Garcia test presses...

• awallawall 673 Posts

That's awesome!

PAGING PEACEFULROTATION

Dude is scurred to represent McKinnleyville. Thinks he's all bayified now or something?

NO SHIT! That's were I grew up! lived there for the first 18 years of my life! my parents just moved to arcata a couple years ago. it's were I spend most of my time in my youth anyway (McKinnleyville is a fast food chain shit hole). i'll have to hit this dude up, perhaps i know him. although he's likely older than me i would assume.

I lived in Arcata for a few years. Did you know the dude S*l*m*n who worked there? Red-haired dude.

I'll be in Arcata this summer. We should dig for some raer Garcia test presses...

Rad! i'll hit you w/a pm.

• Mr. CasualMr. Casual 953 Posts
    There is someplace downtown called The Giant Bagel shop..... it has the best chicken sandwhiches in town