Polo boxers

Terry_ClubbupTerry_Clubbup 833 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
Alright, here is the thing.About ten years ago I discovered that Polo by Ralph Lauren was sellingthe best underwear available to man, the Rolls Royce of boxer shorts.The particular style I am talking about was a standard but roomy boxercut, using the finest high thread-count cotton.The fabric was thicker than any other short I have ever handled ; the closestcomparison is to the standard Polo Oxford shirt. Whereas run-of-the-millboxers are extremely thin, these Oxford-style boxers carried weight, andthe elastic band was of unusual girth and strength.Even back then though, these oxford boxers apparently came only in twocolors : white and the classic oxford light-blue. Alongside theseCadillac drawers in the store would sit other colors of Polo brand boxersfor the same price : ~ $22 a pair. But if you bought one of these plaid,striped or yellow boxers you would be dismayed upon handling the cloth,finding out that they were thin, cousin or kin to any Wal-Mart boxer, onlymade from a slightly higher grade of cotton.Sometime in the last 5 years the thick oxford-style boxers seem to havebeen phased out. I have fallen victim to the overpriced thin Polo shortsin my search for the classics.A few items:1. Does anybody know if Polo has completely discontinued the thick clothboxers and does anybody know another company that makes these?2. In the old days, there were two drawers : tighty whiteys or boxers.Nowadays the game has become much more complex with all of these hybriddrawers that are really more like tighty-boxers.3. The thin-cloth Polo boxers sell for $22 but are worth only $8.The thick-cloth Polo boxers sell/sold for $22 but are worth about $55.4. You cannot tell the cloth quality or thread-count from the packaging.You must open the package and feel of it.

Comments

• Have you not consulted The Oracle on this matter?

http://search.ebay.com/polo-boxers_W0QQfrppZ50QQfsopZ1QQmaxrecordsreturnedZ300

I don't know if you'll find a sufficiently smallish size for your girlish (yet never churlish) waist.

I was really hoping that this thread would be about pugilists astride equestrians, not something as pedestrian as your chones, but I hope that I have been of service, ere regardless.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    All the Real Lo Headz stand up.

• Have you not consulted The Oracle on this matter?

http://search.ebay.com/polo-boxers_W0QQfrppZ50QQfsopZ1QQmaxrecordsreturnedZ300

I don't know if you'll find a sufficiently smallish size for your girlish (yet never churlish) waist.

If you had bothered to actually read my original post, instead of
    continuing on your crusade to put words in my mouth once again, you
    would realize that an online purchase is no solution to this Polo
    company's bait-and-switch operation. I am asshurt physically,
    figuratively, lyrically and metaphorically.

(However, thank you for the compliment concerning my figure)

What we need are street-teams of discerning shoppers who are willing
    to travel to the boutiques and the outlet malls unafraid to open
    packages in the store and actually feel of the material. We need
    folks out there touching cotton.

Because there is only one package, claiming "100% cotton" and "Woven" -
    but there are two styles, the Toyota and the Mercedes.

• you can still get the thick cloth ones at outlets. i picked some up in flemington nj last month.

while we're on the subject: what is up with the polos with the oversized embroidery? shit looks ridiculous.

whhile we're on the subject 2: thirstin howl the III and rack lo are still making records

• Now there is some News I Can Use b/w

I'm not racist, some of my best friends are PoloRicans.

(she works at the Parisian...and this is Polo season)

• I always loved how "Polo shaving" could somehow rhyme with "never salute Old Navy" in the hands of the Skillionaire.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    while we're on the subject: what is up with the polos with the oversized embroidery? shit looks ridiculous.

NAGL indeed!

• check the Polo section in Neiman Marcus or other high end department stores. they sell completely different merchandise, and i'm not just talking about purple label.

i think the outlet stores have made the regular polo line fall off. while i dont have your experience with the boxers, i basically had to throw out all of the polo undershirts and wife beaters i got after only a few washes. the undershirt collars get this weird wrinkle in them and the beaters get stretched out in the waste, making it look like i stole some pregnant woman's tank top.

i'm telling you though, you need to check Neiman or Sacks. They have all the high end polo stuff...but be prepared to pay for it.

• while we're on the subject: what is up with the polos with the oversized embroidery? shit looks ridiculous.

NAGL indeed!

on a long sleeve =

but on a short sleave for some reason =

• while we're on the subject: what is up with the polos with the oversized embroidery? shit looks ridiculous.

NAGL indeed!

on a long sleeve =

but on a short sleave for some reason =

The number on the sleeve kills it though, regardless of the size of the horse. They came out with a line of black and white short sleeve knit polos, and only one of them was normal, the rest had a big ugly "2" on the sleeve. Lame.