You ever call 911? Did I do right?

DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
I've probably called 911 about 3 or 4 times in my life. Just did it a few minutes ago coming home when I saw what looked like some kid getting his ass beat by 5 other kids. To tell the truth I couldn't be sure if they were messing around or really kicking the shit out of him. My buddy says I'm too quick to judge on something like this. Should I really have tried to see more to assess whether it was horseplay or did I do the right thing? It was dark and I really didn't want to stick around and find out. I'd like to think I did the right thing as my neighborhood can be sketchy at times.Anyone wanna share their 911 stories?

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i would have yelled at them and formed a response depending on how they reacted. it's good that you wanted to help but it's also good to confirm the situation.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I called last year when a house belonging to a family down the block was obviously being cased by two guys. You know the type, sneaking around behind the house, looking this way and that and couldn't be more consipicuous if they tried. The dispatcher gave me the third degree about it, asking me three or four times if I was actually sure they didn't belong there.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    It's precarious. I'm always aware that to stop and gawk and/or get involved is often majorly

Case in point, a friend of mine ended up getting beaten down pretty bad by a guy AND his girl after he tried to stop the guy beating up his girl!

• On a recovery mission to Las Vegas my parents and I booked a hotel room at some cheap off-the-strip Holiday inn. Being that my parents are deaf non-mutes they tend to be very loud when they speak; oftentime it gets confused for yelling. In the late afternoon we were trying to decide where to eat and, as a family, we've always been poor at deciding things like that. Anyways about a half hour into trying to decide we get a knock at our door from Metro police. Apparently someone called in that 2 people were being beat up by a younger man. The police took me aside and I explained the situation.

The next day, during the continental breakfast, Hotel security pulled me into a room and said they don't appreciate abusive scum like me coming into their hotels. I explained the situation to them and told my parents I needed to get out of town. I spent that afternoon on a Greyhound bus and slept at the greyhound station in Downtown LA that night. Shit was miserable. I had some girl trying to force me to help her rob a liquor store a couple streets down. My folks grabbed me the next morning

Moral of the story: be sure of what???s going down when you call 911

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    a friend of mine ended up getting beaten down pretty bad by a guy AND his girl after he tried to stop the guy beating up his girl!

i remember this thread.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    i never ever call the police and this is why

one day i was driving down this back road and this huge (and i mean fucking HUGEEEEE ) bear is hanging out on the street. i swerve around it and watch it start walking around the road like nothing happened. im about 3 houses down and theres like 25 little kids playing football and tag on someones front lawn.

now in that situation what do you do? i pulled over and told the kids to be careful and called 911. 911 asked where i am and they transfered me to the town Police. they said "thats the State Police juridstiction" and hung up on me.

one of those kids could of gotten eaten for all i know.

so fuck 911 unless youre dying or see someone dying.

if its just a possibility that there may be a situation where someone maybe can possibly maybe die then dont call

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    I've probably called 911 about 3 or 4 times in my life. Just did it a few minutes ago coming home when I saw what looked like some kid getting his ass beat by 5 other kids. To tell the truth I couldn't be sure if they were messing around or really kicking the shit out of him.

My buddy says I'm too quick to judge on something like this. Should I really have tried to see more to assess whether it was horseplay or did I do the right thing? It was dark and I really didn't want to stick around and find out. I'd like to think I did the right thing as my neighborhood can be sketchy at times.

Anyone wanna share their 911 stories?
    i usually mind my business unless its extreme. Maybe that kid was getting his ass kicked for a reason. Now if some girl was being raped then we got a different story. Or some old lady getting punched in the face and robbed, different story. But sometimes you gotta take an asswhopin and thats how it goes. Police aint gonna really help you anyway.

• i usually mind my business unless its extreme. Maybe that kid was getting his ass kicked for a reason. Now if some girl was being raped then we got a different story. Or some old lady getting punched in the face and robbed, different story. But sometimes you gotta take an asswhopin and thats how it goes. Police aint gonna really help you anyway.

i'm sure you'd only want the same done for you and yours.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

if its just a possibility that there may be a situation where someone maybe can possibly maybe die then dont call

While I understand why , animal control is State Police jurisdiction in NYS, case closed. They gotta keep it standardized, otherwise a lotta time, manpower, and money could be wasted on multiple depts responding to cats in trees and dog on the loose.

While I understand why , animal control is State Police jurisdiction in NYS, case closed. They gotta keep it standardized, otherwise a lotta time, manpower, and money could be wasted on multiple depts responding to cats in trees and dog on the loose.

but this was a bear. and if youre saying it was state police juridstiction why did they hang up?

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    but this was a bear. and if youre saying it was state police juridstiction why did they hang up?

While that is rude, they don't patch you into State Police direct. You gotta call State Police yourself. I'm with you, bad ol' bear, etc. Still, someone could be calling in a stabbing or something, they gotta keep it movin' at 911.

i never ever call the police and this is why

one day i was driving down this back road and this huge (and i mean fucking HUGEEEEE ) bear is hanging out on the street. i swerve around it and watch it start walking around the road like nothing happened. im about 3 houses down and theres like 25 little kids playing football and tag on someones front lawn.

now in that situation what do you do? i pulled over and told the kids to be careful and called 911. 911 asked where i am and they transfered me to the town Police. they said "thats the State Police juridstiction" and hung up on me.

so you tried to help some kids, the police fucked up, and you decided, based on that, you just wont call anymore?????

you retarded doggie?

"unless youre dying or see someone dying"

what other shit is there?

if i see another bear i wont call 911.

are you retarded kitty?

• ive called when ive seen traffic accidents happen that im pretty sure i was the only witness to. they do tend to grill you and not get on with the actual saving people stuff, though. "no im not at the scene, i was going the opposite direction on the interstate and saw the car go off the road, around mile marker 210" "were you involved sir?" "huh? are you even listening to me?"

the way i figure, even if its a false alarm or no one was hurt, id still appreciate somebody looking for my ass if i went off the road in the middle of nowhere.

While that is rude, they don't patch you into State Police direct. You gotta call State Police yourself. I'm with you, bad ol' bear, etc. Still, someone could be calling in a stabbing or something, they gotta keep it movin' at 911.

yea thats understood. i guess i just thought theyd be like "oh thank you for helping" or something. 411 operators are nicer than 911 people. i feel like youre annoying them when you call.

i usually mind my business unless its extreme. Maybe that kid was getting his ass kicked for a reason. Now if some girl was being raped then we got a different story. Or some old lady getting punched in the face and robbed, different story. But sometimes you gotta take an asswhopin and thats how it goes. Police aint gonna really help you anyway.

i'm sure you'd only want the same done for you and yours.
    actually if i was getting my ass beaten up, yeah i wouldnt want the cops to come. They have a habitat of making things real difficult sometimes. i would rather just deal with it on my own. Like case in point, i got jumped at a church bazaar a few years ago out here in PA. I was smashed and 3 dudes followed me and my roommate, who also was shitty drunk, to where we thought the chick that drove us theres car was and they hit us with bats in the head and we got knocked out. They also apparently were kicking us in the face when we were unconscious. We woke up to the sight of ten cops and ambulances there and they basically took us without any consent. They wouldn't just let us go home. my boy got in alot of legal trouble due to the fact he had a fake id. they also billed us for an ambulance ride that we tried to refuse. They tried to get us in the hospital but we had to break out of there and run about 4 blocks to get to this kids house that we knew. So the cops actually took an unpleasant situation and made it ten times worse. they didn't find the kids who jumped us, they didn't get us our money back, they made us pay a bunch of money on top of getting the shit kicked out of us. So yeah i really wish someone didnt call 911 that night cause it really was an inconvenience. And i really wouldnt wish that to anyone else who got there nose broken , face stomped, ass kicked. The police do have a time and a place when they are needed, but in Arcadians case, i think he may have jumped the gun.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    i think he may have jumped the gun.

See Im just worried that they might have a gun. I was going to the grocery store a few weeks ago and there was a large altercation across the street when I was going in. People were obviously concerned, watching their backs and walking fast to their cars. No one was getting beat just a lot of yelling and screaming and pushing between like 12 dudes. I went inside and asked the security guard if he could call the cops or something and he said he wouldnt or couldnt because it wasnt on the property. I couldnt believe he wouldnt do anything, but I also understand why he couldnt I suppose but....

I guess the general concensus here is dont call 911 if someone is in a fight or getting beat. The idea is that you have to wait until someone gets hurt or killed first. Weird.

I dont think Ive ever called 911, but I'm not too sure. Ive had 911 called on me a few times before though. Most recently was three months ago.

nah i just dont know what 911 and the police are going to do for you if someone pulls a gun on you. They just dont hang around and wait for the cops to come and arrest them. 5 - 0's response time in most shady areas is pretty slow also round my parts and they only are gonna help you after you take a slug and are laying there dying waiting for them. But it really comes down to a case by case thing. I just think that calling 911 after seeing some kids that might be horsing around wrestling each over in dim light that you cant really even see what there doing, maybe is jumping the gun. maybe next time use some better judgment or find out what is happing before you start calling the cops. just my .2 cents

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    I agree with you. I just think its weird in some ways too. Remember when they were debating making it a crime to NOT call 911 or try to help someone in need ? Now that is getting pretty freaky, they probably realized they already had enough bunk calls and that would have added to the problem bigtime. I guess there are a lot of options for what qualifys as a mandatory 911 call.

And I should note that the 911 calls I have been invloved with were fight/assualt related so I am biast as well. I dont have any particualr stance on the situation either way. Its just interesting.

• What the fuck is wrong with this place?

• you retarded doggie?

are you retarded kitty?

wow

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I call 911 when I see bad car accidents (several times) and when I saw someone get thrown out a window.

• asking soulstrut if it's ok you ratted out some fools servin' a beat down is ///

Oh shut the fuck up with your school yard logic.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    I've called 9-11 pretty often, most of the times work related. I had an aggressive crackhead try to bumrush my office last friday. We called 9-11. Took them 30 minutes to show up & we had to subdue the guy ourselves until the cops arrived. It was kinda sad. He was going to hit someone with a fire extinguisher. He was very sickly & he peed himself while we pinned him down. The ambulance came after bout an hour. ugh.

• but this was a bear. and if youre saying it was state police juridstiction why did they hang up?

yea thats understood. i guess i just thought theyd be like "oh thank you for helping" or something. 411 operators are nicer than 911 people. i feel like youre annoying them when you call.

they just did a special on the news here in town on 911 operators and played tapes of 911 callers...some of the callers would leave me a little salty if I was a 911 operator...one of the calls went like this:

caller:when the fuck is my court date?
    911: you would have to call the courts
    caller: yo fuck you, I am sick of getting the goddamn run around from you motherfuckers
    911: this line is for emergencies
    caller: fuck you, when is my fuckin' court date?

and one dude called wantin' pizza huts number, and a call about a cat stuck in a tree, a dude locked out of their house...there are A LOT of dumb fucks walkin the earth right now.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Does anyone remember that 911 call from a few years back where the 911 operator thought it was a prank and he was laughing at the person? I think someone died as a result of that one.

I called like 3 or 4 years ago on my way home from Philly on New Years Eve (Fathead covered the whole Check Your Head album for one of their sets. I was a young buck) and there was a disabled car with no one in it just sitting in the left lane of 76(!!) The four ways were on but it was really hard to tell that it wasn't moving until you started getting close. People were swerving into the right lane, it was kind of crazy.

So i called and they were already dispatching people to it, but i did learn that cell phones (or at least mine) will get you connected to 911 regardless of how poor your signal is.

• So i called and they were already dispatching people to it, but i did learn that cell phones (or at least mine) will get you connected to 911 regardless of how poor your signal is.

In fact even if your service is shut off a cellphone can still reach 911. A GSM cellphone usually requires a chip to work but even without the chip you'll reach 911.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    A few years back I was riding the subway into the city and sitting across from me were two pretty shady looking dudes talking kinda under their breath like they were scoping people on the same car, and then I saw one of them pass the other a small knife, like a 5" blade. At the 1st Ave L Train stop I got off and so did they, and they went to stand in a dark spot under a construction scaffold (by the church rectory on 1st and 14th Street, anyone who has been to Sound Library has probably walked past there). Out of curiosity I stood across 14th street and watched what they were up to, which was trying to flag single women down by asking them for a smoke or a light and then trying to trap them against the building and (presumably) show them the knife and rob them. After I saw the first girl almost get got I called 911 on my cell and told them what was happening and where. I didn't have to give my personal info or anything and the operator was extremely helpful. About 3 minutes passed, then 5-0 showed up in a squad car and stopped the 2 dudes, who were trying to split in different directions. I watched until I saw the cops start patting them down, then left feeling like I had done the right thing and went to see the girl I was meeting, who proceeded to reward my good deed late into the night...

So the lesson, if you have made reasonably sure that you aren't mistaken and see/hear something shady going down, make the call that you would want someone else to make if the situation was happening to you.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    What I want to know is this: a lot of police depts around the country stepped up hiring in the 1990s...if that's the case, where did all the cops go? The most frequent explanation I've heard about the shortcomings of the 911 system is the lack of personnel to make it work as well as it should. Not that the two can't be mutually exclusive - maybe PDs did staff up yet are still short of where they need to be?

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    What I want to know is this: a lot of police depts around the country stepped up hiring in the 1990s...if that's the case, where did all the cops go?

Maybe some retired and were never replaced after the last hiring wave?