What state has the the best capital city?

FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
In terms of a nice place to live. If you had to pick a state to live in from all 50 but you had to stay in the capital, what would you pick? Top 5?I might pick Honolulu, but that's so obvious.I've never been to Denver or Madison or Austin or Nashville? Those seem nice.

Comments

• Columbia SC is a "Capital Place To Be"
    I hear that Richmond really stinks ass.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    In terms of a nice place to live. If you had to pick a state to live in from all 50 but you had to stay in the capital, what would you pick? Top 5?

I might pick Honolulu, but that's so obvious.

I've never been to Denver or Madison or Austin or Nashville? Those seem nice.

Madison, WI
    Austin, TX
    St. Paul, MN

all great towns to live, IMO

• Exciting, stylish Trenton, NJ! All the pork roll you can handle and it's conveniently located just across the river from the "Paris of the East", Morrisville, PA....

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Montpelier, Vermont. Such a gorgeous city with the friendliest people you will ever meet.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Madison, WI

St. Paul, MN

Yeah, but how does one deal with several months of this...

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Columbia SC is a "Capital Place To Be"
    I hear that Richmond really stinks ass.

Worst slogan evar. My blue recycling bid also said "a Capital Place to Recycle." Whatever. A capital place to get the fuck away from.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Not California.

• My faves:

Atlanta - (home town favorite)
    Austin (unfortunately surrounded by Texas - see above)
    Madison
    Santa Fe

Forgetaboutit (although good digging in all these places):

Trenton
    Harrisburg
    Columbus
    Baton Rouge

• I have to say I have been here a little over 2 years and Richmond VA isn't that bad.

• Not California.

It's pretty embarrassing when the residents of your capital refer to it, without irony, as "Sac" or "Sac-town."

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Madison, WI

St. Paul, MN

Yeah, but how does one deal with several months of this...

Well, I dealt with it by moving first to Las Vagas, then to DC. But then I was in the midwest for 28 years before I had enough. But enough was TRULY enough.

Madison isn't nearly as cold as St Paul, but more hippies and Busdriver fans reside in Madison.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Not California.

Or Connecticut. "Wow, we're in Hartford. Umm...everybody ready to leave now?"

• Denver's cool, but the worst part of the city, in my opinion, is the dirty "hipster" infested region around the actual capitol, known as Capitol Hill. I lived there for a few years and it just got worse by the day. Now I live in the east side/curtis park/5 points area that is more hood but less annoying. I like it here. It's quiet, I don't get messed with by anybody, and it's right next to the train, which gets me wherever (work being the usual destination). Denver's kinda booming right now, developing a big city mentality. It's becoming a better city to live in, especially if you make decent money and don't want to pay NY/CA prices to live somewhat lavishly. Biggest downside - no ocean for over 2000 miles. No nothing really.

edit: I thought I might add that we have beautiful mountain views, decent weather (a little bit of everything, a bit too dry for my taste though), great bud, and Carmelo Anthony. Jee-yuh.

• Memphis, TN is the capital of Arkansas!

• Denver

Born here.

Have they cleaned it up yet?

Nevertheless, gateway to the West and Rockies. Can't go wrong, especially if you're an outdoorsman like me.

Madison

Went to high school here. Currently live here. Can't boast enough. Small but energetic, if you like youthful energy. No outdoors stuff within miles, unfortunately. They keep the riff-raff out, so raising a family in this town can happen. Not so big that a kid can't explore.

St. Paul

Supposedly the greatest arts scene in the U.S. outside of NYC, at least for theater. The old women have had enough. The young women knit. Boys step high. Men abuse the lakes, all 20,000. Soon to have a pontoon at the bottom of every one. Throw your drinks in the snow but don't forget about them. Store leftovers in the garage. The Fins still dig for iron. Play a pipestone flute, but, dear God, never go back. Watch hockey, play hockey. Travel to Duluth from Louisianna on Highway 61. Travel back down on the Mississippi. Gitchi Gummi. I guess I've now left St. Paul.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Not California.

It's pretty embarrassing when the residents of your capital refer to it, without irony, as "Sac" or "Sac-town."

I always thought the capital of California was Los Angeles.

• Not California.

You get a pass for that. Most people living in LA think it's the capital of the US, so yeah...

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Madison isn't nearly as cold as St Paul, but more hippies and Busdriver fans reside in Madison.

The quality of life in metropolitan areas should start being judged based on the % of the population that listens to Busdriver. Or proximity to wherever he is on that day.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    honolulu is a great place to live in but fuck working here. retirement yes

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

I really like Raleigh, North Carolina. I think the city has a nice cultural scene (given it's in NC), job opportunities, great housing, good standard of living, relatively low crime, and a large number of colleges and universities. I'd move back to that area of North Carolina in a heartbeat.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Not California.

You get a pass for that. Most people living in LA think it's the capital of the US, so yeah...

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Not California.

hahahaha.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts

Santa Fe

• Denver

Born here.

Have they cleaned it up yet?

Nevertheless, gateway to the West and Rockies. Can't go wrong, especially if you're an outdoorsman like me.

It's a pretty clean city, compared to any other place I've been (SF, LA, NYC, Seattle, etc). The westside is still somewhat of a mess, but it works. Downtown is goin off right now, $300,000-2,000,000 conodos and lofts going up everywhere right now, and I mean everywhere. Lots of ballin' goin' on in Denver.

• TOPEKA, KANSAS - DUH!

top city!
    t-o-p-e-killa-assassins!

a few years back top city had the highest murder rate per capita of any city in the us.

• Or Connecticut. "Wow, we're in Hartford. Umm...everybody ready to leave now?"

I grew up one town south of that culture vacuum. Some decent skateboarding to be done, but otherwise

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    It's a pretty clean city, compared to any other place I've been (SF, LA, NYC, Seattle, etc).

I found Denver's air to be very polluted. I KNOW IT'S THIN, this isn't about that. Taking into account that it is thin, the pollution to me was very high. Someone should look into severely pushing mass transit in the Mile High, otherwise, lung cancer in the Denver Metro Area will skyrocket due to the rapid growth in that city.

The problem with bigger states in the US is that since they are so big, people are encouraged to place facilities, shopping centers, industries, in the middle of nowhere with no regard to mass transit or infrastructure, because there is so much space to waste. The job I was consulting on had an installation equipped to fit 500+ workers, only 20 minutes away from Boulder. The type of job that screams "Freshly graduated college kids, please work here!" Barely any college kids worked tehre at all, it was absurd. No bus went 20 minutes away from U Colorado. Abzurd.

• Hi J**,

Our bus system is actually really good, and our light rail is growing (we have 8 lines now I believe). It may be a little smoggy here but nothing compared to bigger cities like LA and NY. As far as the streets and actual physical polution (not just air polution), it's not that bad, they keep it pretty clean especially for how much this city has grown in the last 20 or so years (the metro area here in the 80s was apparently somewhere around 500,000, and it's now over 2 million). It is still a city after all, and the sprawl here is bad and has a potential to get worse, but crime is not very bad, they have really worked on the meth situation over the past few years, and the downtown is very clean (at first sight anyway). I have a slightly different view because I live near the hood and all of the rescue mission places and soup kitchens, so I see the majority of the downtown homeless population every day, but they stay pretty well contained to the areas around the rescue missions.

One thing about the air - thin + extremely dry + urban sprawl (so much driving) = bad air. That's true. Though, I think the dryness factor makes it seem a lot worse than it really is.

The problem that you mentioned about that center that was opened to employ 500 people with no busline going to it is that they apparently built away from Denver when they should have built toward Denver. The space between Denver and Boulder is slowly closing in and there are buses galore that go all throughout that area. It's not a very smart move to build away from the city in a situation like that.