Good artificial sweetener overview

Rod_TorfulsonRod_Torfulson 464 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
"Aspartame has come under a lot of pressure in recent times of having a negative image in health circles even though it has undergone many studies supporting its safe use in foods. There will be more pressure on it as the new sweetener sucralose makes in roads. Its saving grace will be economic as it is much more cost effective. Marketing strategies may be looking to move it out in favour of Sucralose." About Sucralose they say: "The new sweetener gaining much news and interest from the market. It is PROMOTED AS BEING MADE FROM SUGAR, and taste like sugar. It is really a SYNTHETIC SWEETENER, LET'S BE HONEST HERE. However, despite its high price it is gaining popularity in marketing circles who want to be seen taking steps TO MOVE ASPARTAME OUT OF PRODUCTS." Indeed, confession is good for the soul. What they don't say is sucralose has a chlorinated base like DDT and can cause autoimmune disease. The research is on http://www.dorway.com, http://www.holisticmed.com/aspartame, and http://www.wnho.net. We are already getting complaints on health problems from sucralose. Also, you have to remember that aspartame being a chemical hypersensitization agent, as well as a neurotoxic drug, not only interacts with other drugs, especially those used to treat the problems it causes, but also with toxins which is all some of these so-called other sweeteners are. Don't forget they outlawed DDT. Aspartame, of course, has been shown to be a deadly neurotoxic drug with 92% of scientific peer reviewed studies showing the problems. If you eliminated one pro-industry summary and 6 studies the FDA had something to do with because of their loyalty to industry, 100% of independent scientific peer reviewed studies show the problems.[/b] This research is on http://www.dorway.com by Ralph Walton, M.D. There is already a medical text on the global plague, Aspartame Disease: An Ignored Epidemic, by H. J. Roberts, M.D., http://www.sunsentpess.com or 1 800 827 7991. Neurosurgeon Russell Blaylock, M.D., wrote about aspartame, and MSG, Excitootxins: The Taste That Kills, http://www.russellblaylockmd.com These physicians also have other books on the subject. Original studies by the manufacturer of aspartame were the target of an indictment for fraud, rather than showing safety. Both U.S. Prosecutors hired on with the defense team of the manufacturer and the statute of limitations expired. For 16 years no FDA Commissioner would approve aspartame because it was never proven safe and in original studies triggered brain, mammary, uterine, ovarian, testicular,pancreatic and thyroid tumors - for starters, as well as grand mal seizures. CEO Don Rumsfeld, now Secretary of Defense, said he would call in his markers and get it approved anyway, as documented in the 8 month investigation of aspartame by United Press International (http://www.dorway.com) and in the congressional record. Unfortunately, Rumsfeld was on President Reagan's transition team and the day after he took office appointed an FDA Commissioner who would approve this toxin. The FDA set up a Board of Inquiry and said to revoke the petition for approval that aspartame had not been proven safe and had caused brain tumors. Dr. Arthur Hull Hayes over-ruled the Board of Inquiry and then went to work for the PR Agency of the manufacturer, and has refused to talk to the press ever since. You can get a copy of the entire Board of Inquiry report on www.greatfallspro.com on CD. The summation is on http://www.dorway.com along with industry's flawed research. Along with these confessions from Scaansweet is: "It can be shown that all intense sweeteners have problems when trying to emulate the gold standard of sweetness, sugar. At least God made sugar. Chemical sweeteners are good for nobody. Diabetics can use Stevia which is a safe herb and has been used in Brazil for thousands of years as a sweetener, especially for diabetics because it helps in the metabolism of sugar. Aspartame (Canderel,E951,Equal, Spoonful,NutraSweet, etc.) actually can precipitate diabetes, aggravates and simulates diabetic retinopathy and neuropathy, keeps blood sugar out of control, can cause diabetics to go into convulsions and interacts with insulin. Aspartame not only has caused an epidemic of diabetes but also of obesity since it is a drug that makes you crave carbohydrates so you gain weight. (See protest of National Soft Drink Assn on DORway, very end) Also the formaldehyde converted from the methanol has been shown to accumulate in the cells and damage DNA with most toxicity in the liver but substantial amounts in the kidneys, adipose tissue (fat cells), brain and retina, on the Trocho Study. So when you see somebody with heavy hips and thighs they just may be on aspartame. If you want to get fat NutraSweet is where it's at. [/b] As the epidemics of obesity and diabetes rage the word is out that aspartame is the cause. The negative publicity showing the real facts about aspartame is, indeed, out, as confessed by Scaansweet. The manufacturers cannot put out the fire no matter how much they lie. And because of the depletion of serotonin it is triggering manic depression (bipolar), insomnia, suicidal tendencies, mood swings, panic attacks, anxiety, hallucinations, etc., and interacts with all anti-depressants. Aspartame triggers behavioral and psychiatric problems. Look what they've done to our kids. Dr. Betty Martini Founder, Mission Possible International 9270 River Club Parkway Duluth, Georgia 30097 http://www.dorway.com http://www.whno.net

Comments

• sweet!

I read about half that article (sugar-induced ADD)... what's the deal - only sugar is good for you?...

I lurve me a big heaping spoonful (no tea spoon) of brown sugar in my coffee...

that C2 from Coke is alright... about half the sugar of regular Coke... the other half is aspartame, or something??... is that bad?

what's this Splenda brand sweetener?

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    what's this Splenda brand sweetener?

thats sucralose right?

a few people close to me have been convinced that the stuff is healthy & natural and use it regularly... I'm never convinced with artificial anything ...

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    Jesus, not this shit again.

First of all, Betty Martini is not a doctor of anything, okay? She's some evangelical-type on an anti-artificial sweetener crusade.

Secondly, before anyone comes back with any more bullshit websites, I suggest you read the following articles that have been published in peer-reviewed, scientific journals. There are thousands, but I took the liberty of doing my own literature search on PubMed and trying to finding citations for articles you idots and folls might actually understand.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1- Weihrauch MR, Diehl V. Artificial sweeteners--do they bear a carcinogenic risk? Ann Oncol. 2004 Oct;15(10):1460-5.

"Epidemiological studies in humans did not find the bladder cancer-inducing effects of saccharin and cyclamate that had been reported from animal studies in rats. Despite some rather unscientific assumptions, there is no evidence that aspartame is carcinogenic[/b]."

2- Butchko HH, Stargel WW, Comer CP, Mayhew DA, Benninger C, Blackburn GL, de

Sonneville LM, Geha RS, Hertelendy Z, Koestner A, Leon AS, Liepa GU, McMartin

KE, Mendenhall CL, Munro IC, Novotny EJ, Renwick AG, Schiffman SS, Schomer DL,

Shaywitz BA, Spiers PA, Tephly TR, Thomas JA, Trefz FK.

Aspartame: review of safety. Regul Toxicol Pharmacol. 2002 Apr;35(2 Pt 2):S1-93.

"The safety of aspartame and its metabolic constituents was established through extensive toxicology studies in laboratory animals, using much greater doses than people could possibly consume. Its safety was further confirmed through studies in several human subpopulations, including healthy infants, children, adolescents, and adults; obese individuals; diabetics; lactating women; and individuals heterozygous (PKUH) for the genetic disease phenylketonuria (PKU) who have a decreased ability to metabolize the essential amino acid, phenylalanine. Several scientific issues continued to be raised after approval, largely as a concern for theoretical toxicity from its metabolic components--the amino acids, aspartate and phenylalanine, and methanol--even though dietary exposure to these components is much greater than from aspartame. The safety testing of aspartame has gone well beyond that required to evaluate the safety of a food additive. When all the research on aspartame, including evaluations in both the premarketing and postmarketing periods, is examined as a whole, it is clear that aspartame is safe, and there are no unresolved questions regarding its safety under conditions of intended use[/b].

3- Council on Scientific Affairs. Aspartame. Review of safety issues. JAMA. 1985 Jul 19;254(3):400-2.

"Available evidence suggests that consumption of aspartame by normal humans is safe and is not associated with serious adverse health effects."[/b]

4- Zehetner A, McLean M. Aspartame and the internet. Lancet. 1999 Jul 3;354(9172):78.

"Aspartame and the Internet

Sir - Patients at our diabetes clinic have raised concerns about information on the internet about a link between the artificial sweetener aspartame and various diseases. Our research revealed over 6000 web sites that mention aspartame, with many hundreds alleging aspartame to be the cause of multiple sclerosis, lupus erythematosis, Gulf War Syndrome, chronic fatigue syndrome, brain tumours, and diabetes mellitus, among many others. Virtually all of the information offered is anecdotal, from anonymous sources and is scientifically implausible. [/b]

Aspartame, a dipeptide composed of phenylalanine and aspartic acid linked by a methyl ester bond, is not absorbed, and is completely hydrolysed in the intestine to yield the two constituent amino acids and free methanol. Opponents of aspartame suggest that the phenylalanine and methanol so released are dangerous. In particular, they assert that methanol can be converted to formaldehyde and then to formic acid, and thus cause metabolic acidosis and neurotoxicity.

Although a 330 ml can of aspartame-sweetened soft drink will yield about 20 mg methanol, an equivalent volume of fruit juice produces 40 mg methanol, and an alcoholic beverage about 60-100 mg. The yield of phenylalanine is about 100 mg for a can of diet soft drink, compared with 300 mg for an egg, 500 mg for a glass of milk, and 900 mg for a large hamburger (1). Thus, the amount of phenylalanine or methanol ingested from consumption of aspartame is trivial, compared with other dietary sources. Clinical studies have shown no evidence of toxic effects and no increase in plasma concentrations of methanol, formic acid, or phenylalanine with daily consumption of 50 mg/kg aspartame (equivalent to 17 cans of diet soft drink daily for a 70 kg adult) (1, 2).

The anti aspartame campaign purports to offer an explanation for illnesses that are prominent in the public eye. By targeting a manufactured chemical agent, and combining this with pseudo-science and selective reporting, the campaign makes complex issues deceptively simple. Sensational web site names (eg, aspartamekills.com) grab the browser's attention and this misinformation is also widely disseminated via chat groups and chain e-mail.

People consult the internet about medical issues for various reasons and many users regard online sources as being authoritative and valid. The medical profession has a role in teaching our patients to be discriminating consumers of the information offered there.

Anthony Zehetner, Mark McLean

Department of Endocrinology, Westmead Hospital,

Sydney NSW 2145, Australia

References

Aspartame. In: Gelman C R, Rumack B H, Hess A J, eds. DRUGDEX?? System. Englewood, Colorado: MICROMEDEX, 1998. Edition expires 1999.

Anon. ADA position statement: use of noncaloric sweeteners. Diabetes Care 1991."

• yeah, Splenda is sucralose. They market it as a healthier alternative to both sugar and aspartame.

I think this passage bears repetition:

Unfortunately, Rumsfeld was on President Reagan's transition team and the day after he took office appointed an FDA Commissioner who would approve this toxin. The FDA set up a Board of Inquiry and said to revoke the petition for approval that aspartame had not been proven safe and had caused brain tumors. Dr. Arthur Hull Hayes over-ruled the Board of Inquiry and then went to work for the PR Agency of the manufacturer, and has refused to talk to the press ever since.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    coselmed, can you provide proof that these scientists are any less biased than this Martini person???

its no secret that plenty are paid for their professional opinions...

• Yeah, I was kind of shaky on her in particular, but can you really look at the process by which it was approved and not at least think something is wrong? If its so benign, why did it have to be pushed through? Betty Martini and her associates are not the only ones who have mentioned that. I do agree that many of the diseases attributed to aspartame seem shaky at best, but I do believe it does have some sort of detrimental effect. One which is being distorted by both sides of the issue to serve their own gains. So whatever, defend it if you must, but I'll be goddamned if I ever use any artificial sweeteners. MSG is just as bad.
    Both are designed to stimulate overfeeding and in turn sell more products. Why is it so hard to believe that food additives of that nature would be used, and their true nature concealed by those who stand to profit from their continued existence?

coselmed, can you provide proof that these scientists are any less biased than this Martini person???

its no secret that plenty are paid for their professional opinions...

There is something called a disclosure statement at the end of any article that is published in a rigorous scientific journal. I specifically chose articles where people did not make any financial disclosures.

People still research this shit because they genuinely want to know the deal. The "companies" mentioned in the piece that were involved in getting aspartame approved aren't even in the business of selling it anymore. Monsanto only does agricultural biotechnology stuff (Pharmacia & Upjohn bought out their consumer/pharma division, and P&U was acquired by Pfizer) and Searle was also purchased by Pfizer.

Shit, I pay people to give drug talks for a living. Pharmaceutical companies are responsible for my paycheck--I know what influence is. You don't get published in JAMA or The Lancet for being an industry whore.

I think this passage bears repetition:

Unfortunately, Rumsfeld was on President Reagan's transition team and the day after he took office appointed an FDA Commissioner who would approve this toxin. The FDA set up a Board of Inquiry and said to revoke the petition for approval that aspartame had not been proven safe and had caused brain tumors. Dr. Arthur Hull Hayes over-ruled the Board of Inquiry and then went to work for the PR Agency of the manufacturer, and has refused to talk to the press ever since.

Why do you think it bears repeating? There are factual inaccuracies in this statement, too (surprise, surprise). Arthur Hull Hayes left the FDA in 1983 to become dean and provost of New York Medical College. He didn't start working for industry until 1986. Betty Martini or whatever does not constitute legitimate press.

• I mean, shit, I hope you're right and that aspartame wasn't knowingly given to people despite knowledge of it being harmful. If you are putting it past the realm of possibility that these companies would market an unsafe product that had a side effect of increasing one's desire to consume, then I don't know what to say. I realize that you are a member of the pharmaceutical industry and this gives you a perspective I do not possess. However, it is simple common sense that if these companies had the option of putting additives in food that increase the tendency to over consume, they would do it even if it caused cancer. I realize that a burden of proof must be applied to these accusations, but I think if anything approaching an ethical investigation was applied to the pharmaceutical
    industry, many violations worse than the aspartame situation would come to light. We rely on government and industry to police themselves, and if there is a vested interest in something remaining secret, it will.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    why bother with artificial sweetners? arent there enough naturally sweet foods out there? do people simply WANT to support the food industry's processed creations?
    fuck all that shit. if people are that conflicted where they need a healthier sweetner....whats the dilemma???(i need to lose weight, but i got a sweet tooth the size of kingkong)
    Man, needing everything to be sweet is a taste addiction. people need to stop pampering themselves and being so fucking decadent. ive been trying to cut out added sugars (and any sugar alternative bullshit) to the point where i have a carrot, an onion, etc that shit tastes like straight pixiestick. damn, talk about savoring my food.
    im about to start growing thees grapes so i can have my yearly supply of grapes and raisins and wine, nice and sweet and delicious. aspartame and splenda cna suck my dick, fuck that shit

on a not too related note, the berkeley welness journal says that msg hating is misguided and that the ill effects attributed to it are unfounded. strange.

• Just eat sugar for fucks sake. Sugar is good and tasty, and natural. If it makes you feel better, buy sugar that comes in a brown paper packet, and says natural on it.

Everything in moderation... Just don't go nuts with it, and I think sugar is fine.