Do good reggae bands still exist?

2»

Comments

• snicka_gsnicka_g Hong Kong 276 Posts
    What about some of the new "Roots" or "foundation" artists? They are pretty commercial but they have that old concious lyrics feel. Jah Cure, Richie Spice, I-Wayne and Chuck Fenda. For a new band playing old style tunes check out Morgan Heritage. I think that might be what you are looking for? http://www.morganheritagemusic.com/

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    There's plenty of dudes, young and old, putting out classic roots-sounding records

Like...

What about some of the new "Roots" or "foundation" artists? They are pretty commercial but they have that old concious lyrics feel. Jah Cure, Richie Spice, I-Wayne and Chuck Fenda. For a new band playing old style tunes check out Morgan Heritage. I think that might be what you are looking for? http://www.morganheritagemusic.com/

Cosign Morgan Heritage is super good!

• Cosign Morgan Heritage is super good!

Had them on my radio show (in CT) a few years back. Super cool customers.

• Soul Vendors (quite possibly my favorite backing band in music period) are still around, i don't know if anyone has posted this but:

http://www.soulvendors.com/index1.html

you can even call them and have them play your party if you wish. although i will admit to them not sound half as good as they used to.

• Fat Freddys Drop

This band seems to get a lot of love among house music fans, and I never understood why. Plaese essplain their appeal to the garden veriety househead.

SG

might??, have something to do with Fat freddys Drop's appeal and exposure throughout Europe,them euro's did some 'garden variety' housey remixes of FFD tunes a while back, 'Jazzanova remix' is one that comes to mind!!.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    But reggae really hasn't been live band music to begin with. It's always been about selectors playing the records and DJ's toasting over. That's the real "live" reggae sound.

WOW, I never heard this before.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Another head scratcher...
    Asking this question doesn't mean I'm not up on young Mr. Marleys work or
    Horace Andy (who is one of reggae's best vocalists ever).
    My question was very specific.
    You wanna test my reggae crates and knowledge, puppy?
    Bring it!

Listen up hippy, don't fuck with me cause you want to listen to the white dude version of one love. You asked if good reggae bands still exist. Do your own fucking google searches. Quit stinking up this board with your goddamn patchouli.

- spidey

• Another head scratcher...
    Bring it!

Listen up hippy, don't fuck with me cause you want to listen to the white dude version of one love. You asked if good reggae bands still exist. Do your own fucking google searches. Quit stinking up this board with your goddamn patchouli.

- spidey

friday beef!

• But reggae really hasn't been live band music to begin with. It's always been about selectors playing the records and DJ's toasting over. That's the real "live" reggae sound.

It was basically a soundsystem culture / scene that kept it all going. Yard parties, dancehalls, etc with selectors playing records. With a few exceptions (The Wailers, Inner Circle, etc) the live reggae band was not that common outside of the studio.

This books breaks it down very well. A great read.

• But reggae really hasn't been live band music to begin with. It's always been about selectors playing the records and DJ's toasting over. That's the real "live" reggae sound.

It was basically a soundsystem culture / scene that kept it all going. Yard parties, dancehalls, etc with selectors playing records. With a few exceptions (The Wailers, Inner Circle, etc) the live reggae band was not that common outside of the studio.

Oh oh...

Another head scratcher...
    Bring it!

- spidey

Hey look it's another internet tough guy!
    It's easy to pop that shit when their's no chance of getting stomped...

Of course the soundman/sound system ran the Jamaican music scene...
    But live reggae did happen, don't fool yourself into thinking that the sound system
    was the only game in town.
    Here are some flyers from Marc Griffiths-Boss Sounds book that clearly show
    reggae artists were playing with bands all over the UK in the late 60's and early 70's.
    And this is the exact sound I wondering if anyone was trying to recreate.
    It was a tall order to expect some of you jackasses (and you know who you are)
    would even get the question in the first place.
    Although I will admit the title of the thread pretty much sucks, my bad.

Here are the flyer photos:

• Here are some flyers from Marc Griffiths-Boss Sounds book...

this thread should be tossed in the toilet...
    stick to the oldies peetz...

Here are some flyers from Marc Griffiths-Boss Sounds book...

I said I'd replace your Boss Sounds book Sip!
    That offer is still on the table or in the toilet that is...
    Man I can't win. Now my real world friends are giving me shit...
    I hate all you jerkies!

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    [/quote this thread should be tossed in the toilet...
    stick to the oldies peetz... quote/]

• Here are some flyers from Marc Griffiths-Boss Sounds book...

I said I'd replace your Boss Sounds book Sip!
    That offer is still on the table or in the toilet that is...
    Man I can't win. Now my real world friends are giving me shit...
    I hate all you jerkies!

i was just taking the piss peetz. lol...
    i love ya man...
    actually getting the bug again... for boss sounds...
    all the best from toronto...

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

- spidey

NAUGHTY NAUGHTY DREADLOCK

ok, it's fairly common knowledge amongst old school reggae heads that sound systems were the main way music appeared in Jamaica. you used to have two types of shows: "sessions" and "stage show". sessions consisted of selectors spinning discs and often celebrity dj's (toasters) would jump on the mic and spit over a dub. stage shows consisted of bands playing. yes, inner circle (with jacob miller), bob marley, toots & maytals and others had bands with steady line-ups. the point is: they didn't play often. it was a special occasion when they did.

as to who kills it 'live' with an old school feel? i'm surprised the convo got this far without the mention of Sly & Robbie. i'm not talking about when they tour with Sinead O'Connor. but when they back jamaican vocalists. there is no better reggae rhythm section ever. (Roots Radics were top shelf, but to some extent they interpreted S&R's style.)

a few years ago in san diego S&R were scheduled to play a show literally on the beach backing half pint and other singers. when it came time to go on, none of the singers had arrived, so Sly n Robbie decided to do an impromptu dub set. one of the most wicked and killing sets i've ever seen. they played a lot of riddims they popularized and also from the playbook of most popular ja rhythms of all time. lasted an hour and a half.

oh and as to the origins of rap: yep, the idea of "rapping" or toasting over a track definitely began with the jamaicans. and when Kool Herc took it to the south bronx, he knew what was up.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Hey look it's another internet tough guy!
    It's easy to pop that shit when their's no chance of getting stomped...

- spidey