New Firefox Complaints?!?

jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
at first it was cool,but suddenly all the filters i applied using the adblock plugin stopped working. particularly alot of flash ads, and that damn ugly off white google banner that graces the top of these boards. now everytime i visit i have to right click>ad block image/or frame. whhat really gets me annoyed is the lag that occurs when you save something. the first thing you start d/l freezes it up briefly, but every additional item will freeze the browser for like 15 seconds.anyone else notice some glitches in the new firefox, and does anyone hAVE any suggestions?

Comments

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts

whhat really gets me annoyed is the lag that occurs when you save something. the first thing you start d/l freezes it up briefly, but every additional item will freeze the browser for like 15 seconds.

Do you have a lot of items in your download list? If you don't clean the list regularly it becomes very taxing on the system. A long list of downloads will definitely slow down the browser.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    yes,
    on the previous version when you cleared the list everything would clear, now it makes me select each individual item to clear them. how can i select em all?

• even loading the DL window is taxing, so I just scrap it altogether.

what's this talk about ad-block?

ad block is a plug in that blocks banners and different annoying things that may pop up. you would right click on the banner and choose to block that ad. but now some of the ads pop through regardless if you blocked the ad or not. it sucks.

• montymonty 420 Posts
    yes,
    on the previous version when you cleared the list everything would clear, now it makes me select each individual item to clear them. how can i select em all?
    don't you have a 'clean up' button at the bottom right? mac version does. windows version might be different?

• yes,
    don't you have a 'clean up' button at the bottom right? mac version does. windows version might be different?

Windows version has it as well.

Also I just want to add that the adblock problem probably has more to do with the actual plugin than Firefox itself. That's one of the problems with open source programs like this where heavy emphasis is put on external development. Sometimes the external code just sucks, and messes up the application itself.

I'd try reinstalling adblock. I have it installed and it's been working fine for me. No google bar up top of this page! Maybe a simple uninstall-reinstall might fix it.

WEll i took care of the d/l history problem, but i just reinstalled the adblock, and upon testing it here, it still isnt what it was last week. that damn google ad. i have to deactivate it everyytime i visit. oh well.

• MeepMeep 320 Posts
    Using 2.0 too, with adblock and never had that problem.

you checked the bottom-right adblock button if it's blocked?

P.S best thing when using adblock is the * function, e.g when you input www.spamsite.com/* everything from that site gets blocked

• To get rid of soulstrut google banners put this in your blocked list.

http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/

this gets rid of all pages from that site not just the specific one you're looking at.

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    Adblock worked for the first 30+ minutes and after that it hasn't blocked a damn thing and the ones I'd already blocked are visible again. I've tried to block the Google ad numerous times, but it doesn't go away. Am I doing something wrong?