B Side Finds........Ya ever flip........

OldschoolspinnaOldschoolspinna 311 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
A record over, just to peek at the b side, and find out the Flip is better than the main cut?I recently dug this german maxi single out of cat pee for the "Jungle Love". I knew the tune, and its ok and worth having, but then I flipped it over and played "Tricky" on the B.....HOLY SHIT....Funnunky.Love "The Time" or hate them, this tune is hooked up.What was your great B Side discovery?

Comments

• The 7" single of SPARKS - "this town aint big enough for the both of us" has the track "barbecutie" on the B-side - i fucking love that song. its probably my favourite Sparks song and will rinse any dance floor (providing i'm the only one dancing)...

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

Here are a couple:

-"We Came to Rock"-Cutmaster D.C.
    -"For Geronime"-Quartz.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Yeah, I remeber my first insanely expensive 45 purchase some 8 years back with "get down brother", the flip "how good is good" had never been comped before and was unkown to me. I was stuttering something like "but look honey, I got two great tracks for the price of one" to my girlfriend. She still thought I was an idiot though...

I also have to admit that it took me about two years until I finaly played the B-Side of Cyril Neville's "gossip" and how goddamn stupid it made me feel.

• (ya ever flip) A record over, just to peek at the b side, and find out the Flip is better than the main cut?

I always flip the 45 over when I'm playing it for the first time. I usually play both sides of an album, so may as well do the same for the 7". Hell, half the time I don't even know what the B-side was, since a lot of singles didn't have a A/B designation.

What was your great B Side discovery?

These are all flips where the B side was markedly better than the A, in my opinion:

- "They Can't See," Five Stairsteps (this backed up "Ain't Gonna Rest Till I Get You")
    - "Funk Power," Creative Funk (flip of Diane Jenkins' dreary "Ready Made Family")
    - "I'm Buggin' Your Phone - Part 2," Smith Connection (way better than Part 1)
    - "Top Of The Mountain - Part 2," Scott Brothers Band (see Smith Connection)
    - "Fire Ball," Mercy (flip of their mushy flower-pop hit from 1969, "Love Can Make You Happy" - stinging fuzz-guitar instrumental similar to Davie Allan)
    - "Am I Losing You," Ty Hunter (1960's Chicago-style soul on Chess which was the backside of "Love Walked Right Out On Me")

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    The flip side of Robert Palmer's AOR hit "Doctor Doctor"
    is an awesome Lee Perry-produced track, that meshes 70's
    pop/rock with authentic Scratch production.

It's on Island and costs a quarter at a store near you.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    TSU Tornados - the Goose ... never listened to the flip (which I think is actually the A sie). But "Got to get through to you" Is one of the most uplifting funky soul tracks there is.

Walter Hamilton - Loosen Up Your Thing ...Er I forget the name, but that bluesy funk track on the flip is a hot jam I never knew existed.

Ojahs - Roadside 75 ..."Let it all hang out" is some goood sheet.

Bobby Bland - Rockin In the Same Boat ...Wouldn't You Rather Have Me ...'course the LP has both cuts but when I first decided to check the flip I was sans LP. Great track!

• The 7" single of SPARKS - "this town aint big enough for the both of us" has the track "barbecutie" on the B-side - i fucking love that song. its probably my favourite Sparks song and will rinse any dance floor (providing i'm the only one dancing)...

Barbecutie is a top 10 Sparks tune, as is this town. One of the best A-B combinations of all time.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    Super common, but a favorite of mine. "Rocky Theme (Gonna Fly Now)" b/w "Reflections"... I love them both for different reasons. Those intro horns on the A-side literally give me chills and get me all amped. B-side is super laid back and just dope.

And no, I will probably pass on "Rocky Balboa" (aka "Rocky VI") this Xmas.

• Bobby Bland - Rockin In the Same Boat ...Wouldn't You Rather Have Me ...'course the LP has both cuts but when I first decided to check the flip I was sans LP. Great track!

Nothing against "Rockin'...," but "Wouldn't You Rather Have Me" is such a killer production (with great guitar fills from Wayne Bennett), I'm surprised that it was merely a B-side. I think "Rockin'" was the side that charted and was a hit.

(Incidentally, the version of "W.Y.R.H.M." on the album is slightly longer and has male background vocals not heard on the single. Still sounds good.)

• POST DELETED

meant to do some slight editing (nothing major) to my first post in this thread and wound up duplicating it