EURO RECORD DEALERS /the$$$ vs euro =profit

kalakala 3,361 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
the dollar is @1.28 euroyou do the mathsalso common shit retails so much higher over there you could put a clean copy of hot buttered soul in a record bin in london or amsterdam for 20-25 euro and that is accepted practice.to me its a dollar-2 dollar record that we have all had pass thru our hands [at least in the northeast]many many times.fill up sea containers with american soul and funk/jazz etc and retire earl -leey

Comments

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    it's great. i buy lots of stuff from eBay.com nowadays.

couldn't be any better. thanks george w! let the war continue! HA!

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    the dollar is @1.28 euro
    you do the maths
    also common shit retails so much higher over there
    you could put a clean copy of hot buttered soul in a record bin in london or amsterdam for 20-25 euro and that is accepted practice.
    to me its a dollar-2 dollar record that we have all had pass thru our hands [at least in the northeast]
    many many times.
    fill up sea containers with american soul and funk/jazz etc and retire earl -leey

100% truth.

fill up those containers boys, theres euros in them thar hills!

(and i can confirm that HBS regularly goes for 15-25 'rows round these parts).

• it's great. i buy lots of stuff from eBay.com nowadays.

couldn't be any better. thanks george w! let the war continue! HA!

This is going to be a VERY GOOD xmas

• i can't complain.

on the other hand, in tokyo store owners were complaining about weak yen making it hard for them.

• ZomBZomB 397 Posts
    You guys have it easy compared to us brits. Send your sea containers my way then. :P

• salviasalvia 279 Posts
    the dollar is @ 0.76 euro
    you do the maths

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    i remember the dutch guilder in 2000 at 2:1 with the dollar being twice as strong-pre euro conversion

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    but with the sterling so strong and the large amount of anal retentive fanatical
    soul funk collectros the record selling /buying mecca that is the uk
    would prolly be the best bet
    but how do you beat customs?
    i heard uk customs are the tuffest-hard on djs and musicians forever
    also i wonder if a port of enrty like portugal or spain might be cheaper?
    boxes and boxes sent via UPS?
    how hard would it be to clear a conatiner full of records in rottermdam?

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
    i remember the dutch guilder in 2000 at 2:1 with the dollar being twice as strong-pre euro conversion

guldens is a thing of the past.

mind you it was a steady currancy like the D mark.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts

guldens is a thing of the past.

mind you it was a steady currancy like the D mark.

i miss that
    europe was cheap
    100 dollars got you 200 guilders all thru the 90s
    it was kinda off the chain

• but with the sterling so strong and the large amount of anal retentive fanatical

I have also wondered about this. If you buy large amounts then you're almost certain to get hit up but customs. That's 25% of the full value.

Also if you have them sent by mail and there're not insured then you can loose some serious $$$ if they get lost.

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts

I have also wondered about this. If you buy large amounts then you're almost certain to get hit up but customs. That's 25% of the full value.

plus that since 9/11 nothing gets past harbour customs.
    new sort of anti terrorist securatie

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    yes there has to be work arounds though
    think of all the shit that goes around the world and how much of it doesn't get inspected

• i heard uk customs are the tuffest-hard on djs and musicians forever

Oh yes, recently The Egyptian Lover & Jamie Jupiter had to cancel a gig in Glasgow due to not having the correct work visas...Used to happen to a lot of house and techno DJ's on the regular...

• i heard uk customs are the tuffest-hard on djs and musicians forever

Oh yes, recently The Egyptian Lover & Jamie Jupiter had to cancel a gig in Glasgow due to not having the correct work visas...Used to happen to a lot of house and techno DJ's on the regular...

word - i got a late (like the same day) call to fill in for daedelus over here when he had the same shit happen.

i dunno that brits have it too bad - the strong ?? got me some real nice shit from the US in the summer. swings & roundabouts tho

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

damn, who remembers the 25 guilder amsterdam sack, stand up!

anyws, this thread is the truth... i was getting mad credit in london for whatever stuff... stuff like George McCrae's "rock your baby" LP and "king curtis plays the memphis soul hits" get you like 10 dollars in credit each... anyways, someone here here suggested "beats workin' off brick lane in london and that dude was incredibly fair... gave me ridiculous credit for a simple solid stack of US soul, funk, and disco... which i traded in for punk records and cash... oh and the Derrick Harriot LP w/ Black Skinned Blue Eyed Boys that apparently no one in the world has seen but Dimitri from Paris and K in Canada!

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    but with the sterling so strong and the large amount of anal retentive fanatical

i went into england with about 100-150 45's and 50-100 lp w/ no questions... not that that's alot, but i imagine you could do double w/o questions... just do a likely story... like playing at a friend's bar for free, or bringing some records to play to a record collector friend... the key is to look normal, sound natural, and have that shit make sense... if you show up with flight cases acting like a turd, you're asking for trouble....