CL Smooth interview from HalfTimeOnLine

Comments

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    If you ask her who Tom Scott is she is gonna say who someone up the block?

There's some classic lines in this interview. I don't understand half of what dude is talking about, but its still great. The whole thing reads like one run one sentence: "Pete Rock is like my gay cousin money earning Vernon with the hostility when I wear a fur coat he with the kool aid me shut up and make my beats [email]ni@@a"[/email]

• I???m not here because I want to be here.

um

word, that'll make me want to check that new album...

• very true, dude is bitter to the bone

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
    very true, dude is bitter to the bone

He doesn't seem bitter in the least to me. On the contrary, he seems pretty together - he has a life outside of hip-hop, but he recognises that, to a certain extent, it's hip-hop that's enabled him to enjoy that life, pluse he clearly thinks he has something to offer. He seems to have a positive attitude to the product of his relationship with Pete Rock, even if that positivity no longer extends to the relationship itself, and it looks to me like he'd be prepared to work with him again in a heartbeat, were it not for (according to him) Pete Rock's ego problems. He accepts (and I agree with him) that they're better as a team than as individuals, and that ain't always an easy thing to do. I don't agree that him simply being forthright and upfront about his issues with his main collaborator equates to bitterness.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    If we gotta pay for all of these samples you???re not Pete Rock no more, you???re whoever you sample.

Right. Because if there's one thing I think of when I think of Pete Rock, it's that if Pete Rock samples, he just ain't Pete Rock. PR sampling? That's unpossible!

Put me in the "CL sounds bitter" column. Yeah, he's got his shit together and a life outside of hip-hop, which is excellent for him, but when it comes to hip-hop--and Pete Rock in particular--dude is bitter to the bone.