Ish done changed... or has it?

waximilienwaximilien 352 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
Anyone involved in releasing music currently can't have failed to realise how the way in which people buy music has changed. We had the indie 12"s era, the mashup/bootleg craze, we've seen the cd/dvd packages... but where the fuck are we now? more and more releases are being sold via places like itunes, bleep etc. or straight flat out jacked via whatever peer2peer network you care to hang your hat on. it seems like less and less vinyl is getting pressed and more often than not, cd only releases dominate the album market. yes, hip-hop has managed to maintain more vinyl sales than most other genres, but where do we stand now? i kind of feel like my shit isn't out there if it isn't out there on vinyl, but the costs of pressing and the increasing difficulty to get reliable distribution is forcing the hand of labels i'm working with into only pressing CDs and now moving into largely digital-only territory. with artists doing more and more work for video game soundtracks, ad campaigns and corporate clients (the LCD soundsystem release for nike, for example) are we reaching a point whereby corporate brands are the new major labels? is it more viable for artists to release an album that comes free with a pair of kicks than it is to shop shit to a label and go the traditional route?obviously i've got my own feelings on this, but i know we have a lot of collective knowledge and opinion on here and i'm curious to see what thoughts other people have.for what it's worth, i'm looking towards doing more individual things - hand printed sleeves in packages with things other than just music (whether that's dvds, posters, stickers, tees, magazines... or whatever). whilst it might involve more work on my part, i'd be happier to do that than to have another jewel case on the shelf in a time when i only really buy those things from artists when they're touring (case in point: the last 2 cds i bought were from mr lif and ra the rugged man at their respective live shows)what do i know tho? let me know what your thinking

Comments

• then again it could just be me

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    There are a lot of 'indie' bands pressing stuff to wax and i have see a lot of indie fans running out to grab them. Being where we are today with CD and digital formats though, is a vinyl pressing of something made more specifically for the digital world really what i want to experience the piece of music on? This is a question to the more technical savvy strutters, hopefully someone will shed light.

Where we at with what we record on and what we press on? Does the evolution of studio equipment and consumer medium go hand in hand or what?

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I actually think vinyl will be far less impacted than other formats by the changes in the music industry. People who prefer vinyl will buy continue vinyl. period. I have even read some things that suggest it's becoming slightly more popular (keeping in mind that slightly more popular doesn't amount to a ton when it comes to unpopular things though). CD sales on the other hand seem to be wayyy more affected by this stuff.

• i suppose for many people, music these days can be made, bought and consumed all on the same computer without it ever really physically existing (if you get me). some seem content with simulating vinyl on things like Microwave, which, don't get me wrong, is a useful tool, no question, but if i don't own something on vinyl, i don't own it.

i agree, i see vinyl as being less affected by the new forms of technology and distribution than CDs but the cost of manufacturing and distributing vinyl is meaning that a lot of labels seem to press CD-only albums these days

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

i agree, i see vinyl as being less affected by the new forms of technology and distribution than CDs but the cost of manufacturing and distributing vinyl is meaning that a lot of labels seem to press CD-only albums these days

"These days" meaning like the last 15 years?

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    From what I see over here, less and less people are "buying" music, even those who used to buy a lot buy less (new music). Also vinyl. Talked to a 2nd hand dealer recently and he says it is not going well too. Many of those "3rd league" dj's who were buying alot of the new 12"'s (mainstream AND underground) have now also switched to Microwave. Don't get me started about promotion: since the closure of the biggest pressing plant in the US (correct me if i am wrong) the production time has increased to 6 weeks (which is why the new zion i grouch 12" comes just now and i had the promo cd 6 weeks ago - luckily they even did press another vinyl run) and distributors like fat beats have closed down on spreading promos on vinyl. From what i see it is over like we used to know it, mos def. and it is not that hiphop kept vinyl alive, most dj's don't give a shit and most vinyl can still be seen in the electronica/rock field. i think the 7" will maintain though...and yes, there will always be people buying vinyl. and only when the last cd crashed, the last laptop imploded, only then you will realize that you can't burn vinyl *cough*

• In the news papers and on TV I keep seeing these articles about how vinyl sales are increasing but ask anyone on the UK hip hop scene (or any other hip hop scene I would guess) and vinyl sales are to my knowledge way down.
    After years of making music I???ve finally had an album released by a small indie label and it???s a CD only release, there was just no way they could justify pressing the album on vinyl, its just too expensive to do an album. 12 inches yes but full LP no.
    I gutted about it even though it???s a proper release it just doesn???t feel the same as a vinyl release.
    I don???t see the situation getting better, I???m just happy labels like Rhymesayers are still dropping shit on vinyl.

• "These days" meaning like the last 15 years?

haha - word, but it still HURTS like it was recently, dammit!

that's a good point about the range of DJs who used to buy shit. when i was studying (which was, fuck, a decade ago now) there were more people who had decks and considered themselves DJs than who didn't, it seemed like. whilst it was heavily weighted in favour of DnB and dance DJs, the vinyl shops near me, at least, could have happily got by on student trade alone. on a side note, if they're not buying music any more, what the fuck are they spending their loot on? is it their fault there's hardly any weed around right now? hehe

remember the vestax vinyl press? around ??20-??25 for a blank 12" and it cut it right there. looked kind of like a turntable with some kind of mad military tone arm

• In the news papers and on TV I keep seeing these articles about how vinyl sales are increasing but ask anyone on the UK hip hop scene (or any other hip hop scene I would guess) and vinyl sales are to my knowledge way down.

exactly - i've been seeing the same thing, but then in the last year both my favourite record stores in sheffield shut down. it just doesn't add up, to me

After years of making music I???ve finally had an album released by a small indie label and it???s a CD only release, there was just no way they could justify pressing the album on vinyl, its just too expensive to do an album. 12 inches yes but full LP no.

what label, mate? with Needlework, 2tall and I managed to get one 12" out each and since then it's been CD only with no sight of vinyl anywhere in the future either

I'm gutted about it even though it???s a proper release it just doesn???t feel the same as a vinyl release.

EXACTLY. that's how i feel man. i look at the 12" i did and it feels like it has some kind of value, i look at the album it looks like all the piles of shiny silver discs that litter my studio space. yeah, the artwork on the cover is nice but it's so damn small!

• i think the 7" will maintain though...

Interesting that you think the 7" will outlast the 12", as I've always been told by indie musicians that the 7" is hands down the hardest format of music ot make your money back on. Maybe that's changed...

Could it be that hip hop became too DIY and now that everybody is a rapper or producer or whatever, there's way too much shit being pressed up and nobody's buying it? Overall sales of vinyl might be doing fine, people just might not want to buy each of the 150,000 myspace artists' projects... So the hip hop cats you know might not be selling albums because the market is flooded with DIY hop hop records. Just a thought...

• to be honest, most DIY cats seem to be pressing at best 1 12" and then they get sick of having boxes of 12"s around the place and go on to CDs or digital things.on that front i'd argue that the late 90s were the biggest period for DIY types flooding the market with vinyl

• I don't bother looking at new hip hop records at all anymore so I guess I can't really argue that, although it seems to me like DIY hip hop is more likely at its peak now or soon or within the last couple of years with all of the advances in home recording technology and software. The late 90s were more about indie labels who actually had their shit together enough to put out several different records. I don't consider Indie and DIY the same thing. It seems like the majors are still pressing up a good amount of vinyl and I think enough of the DJs out there who play what people want to hear are still buying the vinyl from the majors, and that is the concept that drove me to comment on the DIY market being at a low while vinyl sales for other genres and for major rap labels is still doing OK. It's all just assumptions though cuz I have no idea what kind of numbers Def Jam and other labels of that caliber are doing vinyl-wise these days...

Could it be that hip hop became too DIY and now that everybody is a rapper or producer or whatever, there's way too much shit being pressed up and nobody's buying it? Overall sales of vinyl might be doing fine, people just might not want to buy each of the 150,000 myspace artists' projects... So the hip hop cats you know might not be selling albums because the market is flooded with DIY hop hop records. Just a thought...

funny you mentioned this cause I just logged in to speak on it. IMO, the drop in expense of building a home studio HAS flooded the hip hop market with an over-abundance of mediocre releases. I remember when the indy hip-hop scene really took off in the mid-90's with Fondle Em, Stones Throw, all the Kool Keith stuff, Godfather Don, Project Blowed, Living Legends, etc. etc. At first I was like , fools are going for themselves!

After about 3 years I was like , every thing started sounding the same and not very progressive. Seriously, how many Cella Dwellas, Sir Meneliks and Kool Keith aliases do we really need? Add to the fact that there was (and still is to some degree) a fad in reworking an already hit hip hop song (check Artifacts "whussupnowmuthafucka" for the original sample source for Rasco's 'unassisted') and you got stale bread. In short, I got bored with hip hop.

So yeah, as a working DJ, if it's tepid, but I need it for a gig, I'll download it and would much rather spend my money on some funk record a la Quantic Soul Orchestra, or something alternative a la Nine Inch Nails/DFA, or some more expensive raer jawn that I would usually pass up in the past.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    It's all just assumptions though cuz I have no idea what kind of numbers Def Jam and other labels of that caliber are doing vinyl-wise these days...

you can bet that all numbers are down, especially in the 12" market. When you had sales of 20k a few years ago, you can be really lucky now if you do 5k or 3k even. And I do agree, the 7inch is the hardest format to make money on, but the customers are most loyal imo, thus, if you have a dope 7 and manage to sell around 2k, it's worth it. Sexy format still and totally sufficient. I dont need 40 tracks on one album, just give me 2 tracks that rock and i'm fine...

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    I am pretty sure that the market for new vinyl will almost die in the near future, especially for "usual" music incl. Hip-Hop, R&B.

2nd hand records and special stuff - small labels with a loyal fanbase, some electronica, some reissues aso will stay for a while.

• see i've always felt 12" EPs were the best format. i know what you're saying but whether its dibbs 231 ways to fry an egg, the siah and yeshua EP, ko-wrecktion... a lot of my favourite records are 12" EPs.

• the siah and yeshua EP

Does that still fetch some bucks anywhere? I used to love the beats on that EP. That's one of those fondle'ems that never get repressed or reissued at all and I know they were going for a grip way back when...

• dunno, i've never thought about selling it to be honest

• seems like it gets to around $50 from having a look on ebay finished auctions.