Your Wire Questions SPOILERS!!! SPOILERS!!!

Comments

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Just watched ep 50 on demand. BODIE NO!

What a season.... def ended up depressing as hell.

I did the same thing--started checking on demand at 12:01, just finished watching it.

Bodie--lived like a soldier, died like a soldier, RIP.

As for the kids, they all had amazing character arcs. I guess Randy being the most optimistic and hopeful at the start should have been set up for the biggest fall, and indeed the system despite it's best efforts failed him the most. I need to watch it a couple of more times to fully process what I saw, but I can defintely say it's the best show ever.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    so im thinking next season goes something like this

burrell airs out the dirt he has on daniels to prevent him from taking his job and saving his own ass in the process. this in turn fucks over the major crimes unit once again because they were going after marlo and still after that money trail from the barksdales. carcetti already sold out thinking he was doing it for the "greater good" so his shit is already all fucked up.

im thinking marlo kills prop joe and the co-op falls apart after that. without the co-op, the greek has no one to supply to and eventually he goes with marlo. marlo has no reason (and no way too really) to harm the greek if he is getting his supply so shit goes peacefully with them. marlo expands and completely takes over baltimore's corners only to get arrested for something or another and then michael takes over.

I dunno, I don't think Michael's gonna rise that quick. Also each of the seasons have an underlying theme, education, politics etc. So what happens next season depends on where they go next. Although introducing even more characters could be a bad idea.
    My guess is they'll into the micro/macro of the politics of it all. As the major moves up in the world etc. Wouldn't be surprised of they flip the obvious paths of the kids still. You know they're going to try and save Michael.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Also each of the seasons have an underlying theme, education, politics etc. So what happens next season depends on where they go next. Although introducing even more characters could be a bad idea.
    My guess is they'll into the micro/macro of the politics of it all. As the major moves up in the world etc. Wouldn't be surprised of they flip the obvious paths of the kids still. You know they're going to try and save Michael.

I thought I read in an interview with David Simon (or one of the other creators) that season 5 will be the final season and will have the theme of The Media. Of course, because the unifying theme of the whole series is the decline of the American city and its component institutions, I'm sure all the story lines we've known and love will be at least in part represented.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    what I wanna know is what nationality do you think the Greek is? They were communicating in what I thought was Greek, but apparently it was just code, as the Greek mentions "The funny thing is, I'm not even Greek". Italian? Russian?

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I just watched the last episode tonight. I'm shook. That is THE most depressing thing that I have EVER seen on TV. I thought the end of Season 2 was a downer what with the docks dead, the union busted, the union chief killed, etc., but this one just took it to another level because so many people ended up getting fucked. Yet at the same time the Wire throws you a little bone. That last closing scene of Colvin's block shows that life can move on and that there is "normal" life away from the corners and drugs and cops, etc. They also threw in Marlo selling the dope back to Prop Joe, which I thought just put Marlo up there as the greatest gangster character ever. He just finds new ways to take things to a higher level with wit as well, ie. getting the clock fixed by Joe! I didn't think he could top killing Stringer, but he did it this season. Wow. I'm going to have to watch that episode a couple more times because I've got so many things running through my head. Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents.

what I wanna know is what nationality do you think the Greek is? They were communicating in what I thought was Greek, but apparently it was just code, as the Greek mentions "The funny thing is, I'm not even Greek". Italian? Russian?

Yeah, they brought that up towards the end of Season 2. I don't think they ever revealed what he or his group were, just that Greek was a cover.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    They also threw in Marlo selling the dope back to Prop Joe, which I thought just put Marlo up there as the greatest gangster character ever.

Omar dude, Omar. How could you get that twisted?

• last episode left me feeling hollow.
    randy, man. damn. dont know how carver could have left him to the wolves in that spot, but i guess he didnt have much choice. i was waiting for him to go right back in there.
    bubs. duquan on the corner. prez told not to get attached. carver unable to navigate the bureacracy. herc still not getting how many things he fucked up. michael as stone cold killer. and bodie....damn.
    at least cutty got a nice new friend...saw that coming.
    and omar came off big time. he aint getting off the east coast? thats hard to believe.balsy motherfucker even got joe to fix that clock up.

best lines?
    bunk "i got pussy on my mind"
    snoop "yeah, Me too!"
    hahaha

• A few thoughts after finishing season four

I think the dude who shot Bodie was Monk, one of Marlo's soldiers from earlier in the season. I hated how he was posted up in that building right next to Bodie and simply walked up without seeing him come. I wish they didn't kill him off.

Also, I had to watch it a 2nd time to realize it, but did anybody pick up on the subplot of Michael being molested as a child? There are subtle clues in a few scenes, but I don't think anything clear, other than the fact that he told Chris about it and Chris beat the shit out of his brothers father. I think Chris says, "you like boys, huh?" or something to that effect. That also leads me to believe that Chris maybe has some sort molestation in his background. Anybody else think that?

Omar selling Joe back their dope for 20 on the dollar is a little far fetched for me. I love dudes character, but it seems kinda ridiculous how he's still alive at this point. I guess Prop Joe's word goes a long way.

And oh, that ring Michael had on his chain at the end was passed around from
    Andre > Marlo > Omar > Officer Walker (most hated character) > then Michael when punked him.

Anybody think Randy will be reunited with his suspected father, Cheese, in Season 5?

They also threw in Marlo selling the dope back to Prop Joe, which I thought just put Marlo up there as the greatest gangster character ever.

Omar dude, Omar. How could you get that twisted?

Doh! That's what I get for not proof reading my posts!

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Who was the (Marlo) "We got this one other thing we need you to take care of..." guy that Randy popped point blank toward the end of the final episode?

Also, I had to watch it a 2nd time to realize it, but did anybody pick up on the subplot of Michael being molested as a child? There are subtle clues in a few scenes, but I don't think anything clear, other than the fact that he told Chris about it and Chris beat the shit out of his brothers father. I think Chris says, "you like boys, huh?" or something to that effect. That also leads me to believe that Chris maybe has some sort molestation in his background. Anybody else think that?

I'm not sure that Michael got molested, more like his little brother did. But who knows. I think Chris definitely had something go down, perhaps when he was a kid, or perhaps when he was in jail. Anyway, I picked up on that connection as well.

Another footnote, does anyone remember where Bodie got the line that he was just a pawn in a game? That came from season 1 when he was trying to learn chess from D'Angelo Barksdale when they worked the courtyard.

so im thinking next season goes something like this

burrell airs out the dirt he has on daniels to prevent him from taking his job and saving his own ass in the process. this in turn fucks over the major crimes unit once again because they were going after marlo and still after that money trail from the barksdales. carcetti already sold out thinking he was doing it for the "greater good" so his shit is already all fucked up.

im thinking marlo kills prop joe and the co-op falls apart after that. without the co-op, the greek has no one to supply to and eventually he goes with marlo. marlo has no reason (and no way too really) to harm the greek if he is getting his supply so shit goes peacefully with them. marlo expands and completely takes over baltimore's corners only to get arrested for something or another and then michael takes over.

I dunno, I don't think Michael's gonna rise that quick. Also each of the seasons have an underlying theme, education, politics etc. So what happens next season depends on where they go next. Although introducing even more characters could be a bad idea.

I don't know whether Michael can rise to be a king. He seems to be pure muscle. It seems that Randy or Dukie are the brains, but then again, Michael could be like Avon Barksdale and the one of the others could be like Stringer.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Seeing that group tag with the four boys' names and those CRAZY YOUNGINS occupying their old gathering spot gave me the chills.

The cycle has run its course and is beginning again...

• great finale. i was surprised to see dukie on the corner but i think he got there less for the money and more for protection. they showed him walking to high school, but when those guys who ruffed up randy came by, he turned around. i think now that his crew isn't with him, he felt like he had no choice. especially sine he is relying on michael for food, shelter and clothing! the same "justification theory" could be made for michael as well, since he really didnt turn the corner until he had chris get rid of his sexually abusive step-father.

• Also, I had to watch it a 2nd time to realize it, but did anybody pick up on the subplot of Michael being molested as a child? There are subtle clues in a few scenes, but I don't think anything clear, other than the fact that he told Chris about it and Chris beat the shit out of his brothers father. I think Chris says, "you like boys, huh?" or something to that effect. That also leads me to believe that Chris maybe has some sort molestation in his background. Anybody else think that?

no doubt. but i think michael was the one who was molested and he didnt want to see it repeated with bug. thats why he was so overprotective of him and why he bugged out around any adult (especialy cutty). chris definitely had some of the same issues, cause he went loony tunes.

Omar selling Joe back their dope for 20 on the dollar is a little far fetched for me. I love dudes character, but it seems kinda ridiculous how he's still alive at this point. I guess Prop Joe's word goes a long way.
    barksdales tried to kill omar and played themselves. marlo tried to set omar up and they got someone stabbed in the ass. omar knows what he's doing. i dont know if they wouldnt have shot him on the spot in the real world, but i suppose half 2 million worth of product was a consideration.

i thought it was michael who killed bodie...when snoop, marlo and chris came over his house (the night after bodie got shot) chris asked him "did you sleep?" thought he was talking about him killing bodie. guess not.

so what are the overarching messages of this season? last season: the game dont change. this season? the system perpetuates the problems (since it doesnt have a human face? like that bitch dhs lady who ice grilled carver)

• season 5 will be the final season and will have the theme of The Media.

OH hells yes.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Omar selling Joe back their dope for 20 on the dollar is a little far fetched for me. I love dudes character, but it seems kinda ridiculous how he's still alive at this point.

Dude, it's Omar. He's a gay thug who sticks up crack crews. "Far fetched" = the whole point. But he's also one of the best characters ever created in television.

• Omar selling Joe back their dope for 20 on the dollar is a little far fetched for me. I love dudes character, but it seems kinda ridiculous how he's still alive at this point.

Dude, it's Omar. He's a gay thug who sticks up crack crews. "Far fetched" = the whole point. But he's also one of the best characters ever created in television.

• its a shame that like half the cast doesnt get some sort of emmy nod....everyone from the adults to the kids play thier roles TOO well....as usual the most painful part is the 2 year wait for mext season...but this was the best season yet...r.i.p. bodie....wonder wuts gonna happen to poot now.....and I KNOW i wasnt the only one that got thrown by the fake shootout with michael vs. chris & snoop....

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    Who was the (Marlo) "We got this one other thing we need you to take care of..." guy that Randy popped point blank toward the end of the final episode?

You mean Michael. And I was wondering the same thing myself, I think it was some random dude that had been occupying the corner that Marlo now envisioned Michael taking over, so dude had to go.

so what are the overarching messages of this season? last season: the game dont change. this season? the system perpetuates the problems (since it doesnt have a human face? like that bitch dhs lady who ice grilled carver)

I think you hit it on the head Tony. It was suppose to be a new day in Baltimore with Carchetti, and while there were some changes like the police not being caught up with stats and numbers, the overall system still fails its citizens. Prez couldn't take care of Dukie in school. Colvin's school program got cancelled and didn't even get the time of day from the mayor's office. Carchetti had to go begging to the Gov. for school money. Randy got put in the group home, etc. etc. They give you those small little rays of light like Cutty finding a girl and running his gym, and Namond getting out of the game and Colvin taking care of him, and that last shot that I wrote about already, but overall it's a very, VERY depression image of America's cities and how impossible it is to bring up any kind of meaningful change in government, the police, drugs, the average life of many of its residents, etc. So powerful.

• so powerful. ive been reeling all week in school.
    one of my youthworkers just lost his mom.
    one of my best young youthworkers just fell off the face of the earth (phone suiddenly disconnected, not in school, stopped coming to work) after a series of little red flags leading up to this for a couple weeks.
    a former youthworker, poised for success, just got a real loser pregnant.
    and i got a youthworks system that hasnt enrolled any new youthworkers for me all fall due to their staff transitions. one freshman has been persistently, almost desperately, trying to get in the program since september. and i cant do a damn thing. who knows whats going on with his life???

and when i ride through the neighborhood, half the corner boys are kids who used to be in my homework club 7-8 years ago.

the wire just gives my imagination too much room to run.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    The end of the show had me smiling when dude came by in the car, though. And as fucked as Dukie and Michael's situation seems I'm like at least they got away from their fucked up parents, you know?

The end of the show had me smiling when dude came by in the car, though. And as fucked as Dukie and Michael's situation seems I'm like at least they got away from their fucked up parents, you know?

Yeah, except now they're fucking up a bunch of people themselves.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Yeah, except now they're fucking up a bunch of people themselves.

[devilsadvocate]if they don't someone else will[/devilsadvocate]

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    I missed the Cheese / Randy connection. Can somebody fill me in?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    assumed to be father/son, will more than likely pop up in season 5

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Im really wondering how the media is gonna become the central theme of the next season. Probably going to show how investigative reactionary journalism pushes politicians to enact innefective policies just to look like they are doing SOMETHING. Like no child left behind act, and the numbers game with the police.

Its interesting to hear from people on the board who are actually youth workers and teachers and seeing how they can easily relate to the show.

Pretty depressing though too at the same time.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I think that once this show gets to airing on bet instead of just hbo people will catch on to it more. Its really brilliant, but i think its also very accesible to anyone who takes the time to get into more than just one episode.