How to fix a skip on a styrene 45?

kidinquisitivekidinquisitive 1,627 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
So I have a styrene 45 that has a repeating skip about halfway through the song. The 45 actually appears to be in very nice condition, I can't even really see exactly what is causing the skip, but I NEED to fix this since it is a $$$ title. Anyone have any recommendations specific to fixing styrene skips? I need something tried and true since I can't take the chance of making the record even worse.

Comments

• Bump. Forgot to mention that Michael Richards sold me this 45.

• I posted the same topic a few months ago...I have the same problem, clean ass styrene 45...repeating skips all over the damn place. Not a baller 45, I dont think, but one I have never seen for sale...I would buy another one in a heartbeat as I love the tune...

• Try putting the needle right in the groove that skips and manualy move the plater over the skip backwards and forwards, nice and ez like.

See if that knocks loose whatever is making it skip, or cuts the groove enough to make it not skip, instead you may get a pop and no skip.

Worth a try.

• Oh yeah, I tried going back and forth like that but it didn't work. Cleaned the area thoroughly too. It must be a problem with the grooves then.

• Well, I fixed that bastard. I think moving the needle very slowly back and forth over the area a bunch of times did the trick. It doesn't so much as pop over the troublesome spot.

• autoauto 198 Posts
    anybody have any other tips besides those for fixing a skip on an lp?

• JazzsuckaJazzsucka 720 Posts
    I learned this from an old-school dealer. It leaves a visual mark on the record, but usually plays through good. Rub the spot where the skip appears back and forth with a narrow and soft stick, for example the wooden end of a match.

This usually restores the groove without affecting the music. You should practice with some shit record first though. The above mentioned needle method usually works too (remember to add extra weight), and the one I told about should be used only for records that have really stubborn skips.