RECORD GRADING

roistoroisto 879 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
Most of the trades I've made with Soul Strutters have gone real well (thanks JP, Simon, Aaron, etc.), but some have left me wondering if the people frequenting this board know how to grade records. (eBay is another thing altogether)I mean, I've received records graded as VG+ or "super clean" that are more like weak VG-. Just recently I paid $20 for a "VG+" record that I had to repair with a match for 15 minutes before it even played through. The surface noise and nasty scratches are still there.Unless it's a $50 record, I usually don't bother complaining about it just 'cause it's stressful...but it really sucks. Of course people grade differently, but if you sell or trade records: LEARN YOUR SHIT, PLAESE!Also, if a record is not placed outside the cover (and both inside a plastic sleeve), it's almost guaranteed that seams will be torn during shipment.[/end rant]

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I would be REAL selective as to who I dealt with around here anymore, were I you.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Also, if a record is not placed outside the cover (and both inside a plastic sleeve), it's almost guaranteed that seams will be torn during shipment.

I've heard this manny times, but of the dozens (if not hundreds) of records I've received via mail inside their sleeves, I don't think I've ever had a single seam problem.

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    Also, if a record is not placed outside the cover (and both inside a plastic sleeve), it's almost guaranteed that seams will be torn during shipment.

I've heard this manny times, but of the dozens (if not hundreds) of records I've received via mail inside their sleeves, I don't think I've ever had a single seam problem.

You're lucky.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    Most of the trades I've made with Soul Strutters have gone real well (thanks JP, Simon, Aaron, etc.), but some have left me wondering if the people frequenting this board know how to grade records. (eBay is another thing altogether)

I mean, I've received records graded as VG+ or "super clean" that are more like weak VG-. Just recently I paid $20 for a "VG+" record that I had to repair with a match for 15 minutes before it even played through. The surface noise and nasty scratches are still there.

Unless it's a $50 record, I usually don't bother complaining about it just 'cause it's stressful...but it really sucks. Of course people grade differently, but if you sell or trade records: LEARN YOUR SHIT, PLAESE!

[/end rant]

i stopped trading or even buying for a long time off message boards, and actually off the internet in general for this reason. I deal very selectively and have even had the other person send the records first for this very reason.

i know that i am very conservative with my grading and try to be so in order to have happy customers when i am selling. Maintaining a good relationship w/ customers or trade partners as well as a good reputation is most important.

maybe it's time to institute an online record grading workshop.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    it's time to institute an online record grading workshop.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

maybe it's time to institute an online record grading workshop.

lesson 1: Records with actual scratches on them need not apply for any grades involving the words "mint", "excellent", or anything with pluses other that "G".

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    Lesson Number 2: Turn on the lights while inspecting the record. Light bulbs can and will be a very good investment. Use of fire to provide light to grade is strictly prohibited.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Actually, what's funny is sometimes natural sunlight (looking at records outside at a flea market for instance) is one of the best ways to see how truly fucked up the record surface is.

• maybe it's time to institute an online record grading workshop.

Would this be anything like the childrens television workshop??

Now THAT'S "investment grade," neighbor!

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts

You're lucky.

Absolutely. Sometimes shit arrives without any hint of wear, but other times, the top and bottom and even the spine are torn through. I find it is more likely to happen to thinner covers, like aussie or Euro covers. But I have also observed it in heavier US covers as well.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    TAKE EM TO CHURCH FELLAS, PREACH!!!

I don't think these guys are actually trying to get over by overgrading, they are just genuinely ignorant...

As far as ebay's concerned though, I generally receive anger and beligerence when trying to point out grading foibles to sellers...