Soulstrut Glossary: "You Sound White"

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
Thrown around here pretty often.....Is this meant as an insult?? Stereotype?? Lame joke??And is this why so many white strutters use black avatars??Sorry if this sounds.....well you know........WhiteI need a glossary and a scorecard.I'd hate to tell a black guy he sounds white.And is it cool to tell someone they sound black??_________________________________________________________________________________There goes that Rockadelic guy posting some stupid schitt again._________________________________________________________________________________I hear he's bored at work and loves watching the Strut fall all over itself._________________________________________________________________________________Yeah....and you know......he's white.

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Not only am I white, but some of my family members are too.

So I feel like perhaps I am qualified to answer this question.

The best way to sound white is to try to sound not white. Especially when somebody is looking.

That, or attend renaissance fairs in full costume.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    To the layperson, I'm white, but I'm really Jewish, which isn't the same thing. I really don't have anything against white people, but I try to avoid them if I can. They're always making with the slavery & the killing. That gets me nervous.

• tjamestjames 156 Posts

I haven't had anyone say that I "sound white" - but if it happened I wouldn't be suprised or offended. Why? Because I sound white. Also, I changed my avatar to Larry Mcgee (from G.C. Cameron) when I found a copy of The Burg. I guess I could change my avatar from:

to:

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

I haven't had anyone say that I "sound white" - but if it happened I wouldn't be suprised or offended. Why? Because I sound white. Also, I changed my avatar to Larry Mcgee (from G.C. Cameron) when I found a copy of The Burg. I guess I could change my avatar from:

to:

I can't see the second photo but are you the guy on the far left of your avatar???

• tjamestjames 156 Posts

The above image is of some random white kid... I'd take the time to change it but I've gotta' get back to work.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    To the layperson, I'm white, but I'm really Jewish, which isn't the same thing. I really don't have anything against white people, but I try to avoid them if I can. They're always making with the slavery & the killing. That gets me nervous.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

And is this why so many white strutters use black avatars??

What does this have to do with sounding white?

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

Nothing. But, welcome to yet another "unintentionally" flame-throwing Rocadelic thread.

Have a nice day on SoulStrut!

Must be a diversionary tactic.

Nothing. But, welcome to yet another "unintentionally" flame-throwing Rocadelic thread.

I think this was pretty intentional.....I love pointing out the absurd.

It's my hobby.

But honestly, I can't tell if you sound white or not.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    You sound white for asking.

Thrown around here pretty often.....

Is this meant as an insult?? Stereotype?? Lame joke??

Sorry if this sounds.....well you know........White

I need a glossary and a scorecard.

I'd hate to tell a black guy he sounds white.

And is it cool to tell someone they sound black??

_________________________________________________________________________________

There goes that Rockadelic guy posting some stupid schitt again.

_________________________________________________________________________________

I hear he's bored at work and loves watching the Strut fall all over itself.

Yeah....and you know......he's white.

• And is this why so many white strutters use black avatars??

Cause they all ain't good looking enough to be sporting an avatar like me. I had to flip mine upside down just to give you guys a fighting chance.

I'm hoping someone comes here and actually explains what it means.

I think this was pretty intentional.....I love pointing out the absurd.

It's my hobby.

But honestly, I can't tell if you sound white or not.

Have fun thinking that through.

Its something you'll only ever hear white people say.

For example:

"I don't know why they can call themselves 'nigga' but I can't say it."

"I sure miss that show 'Friends'."

"______________ is REVERSE discrimination!"

"I don't mind black people.... as long as they don't act all black"

"I wonder whats on the WB right now?"

"Hey guys - I just scored tickets to the Toby Keith concert! yay!"

"Can I get extra mayonaise on that?"

"I like some rap. Like, you know, the black eyed peas are cool."

"Do you have any of these t-shirts in extra small?"

Sincerely attempting to rationalize a blatantly (and virtually indefensible) racist tirade directed toward black folks makes pretty good enough sense to me.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    "Sigh"

Hey Drewn.

• I'm hoping someone comes here and actually explains what it means.

Its something you'll only ever hear white people say.

For example:

"I don't know why they can call themselves 'nigga' but I can't say it."

"I sure miss that show 'Friends'."

"______________ is REVERSE discrimination!"

"I don't mind black people.... as long as they don't act all black"

"I wonder whats on the WB right now?"

"Hey guys - I just scored tickets to the Toby Keith concert! yay!"

"Can I get extra mayonaise on that?"

"I like some rap. Like, you know, the black eyed peas are cool."

"Do you have any of these t-shirts in extra small?"

TOO-SHAY...................................whitey [/b]

Rock,

"you sound white" can mean a lot of things depending on the context in which it's used on SS. Just to note: I don't use the term myself though I think I get, more or less, the general meaning which I take to mean:

"you sound like someone who was raised on White privilege that allows people who are White to grow up without ever having to question the structures and culture of White supremacy. Thus, you are less able to recognize or understand what many (non-white) people understand: what we live in a profoundly unequal society that is - at the very least - stratified by race (as well as class and gender for starters) and that you, as a White person, can afford to not have to worry, let alone cope, with such a reality."

It goes beyond simply stating, "you sound ignorant" since, in this case, ignorance is not random but rather, the product of racism: White people are indoctrinated to be ignorant of racism since that means they won't question the system of power that maintains their privilege at the expense of others. If more White people were actually intimately aware of racism and its costs, they would be more likely to oppose institutional and cultural racism in their daily lives. However, by keeping White people ignorant of their own privilege, systems of domination persist simply because the most populous and powerful group in America is purposefully raised to be oblivious to it.

Thus, to claim that someone "sounds white" is to suggest that they are beneficiaries of racial privilege yet wholly unaware that they are privileged.

I could be wrong. Maybe it just means, "you sound nasal."

Hey Cosmo.

I'm trying, you know? Shit...

You're sounding very asian right now. I'm hardly nasal.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    O-Dub I'd think it'd be more often a cultural thing that may or may not include ignorance of social stratification but also ignorance of non-white culture at large.

Also, the reason lots of white folks on SS have black ppl in their avatars is cuz 1) af-ams are inordinately represented in pop music at large, particularly the styles of pop music enjoyed by strutters and 2) The Wire has one of the largest ensemble black casts of any show, ever.

O-Dub I'd think it'd be more often a cultural thing that may or may not include ignorance of social stratification but also ignorance of non-white culture at large.

That too.

af-ams

w..... wh.... whoah....!

then... what's... a Trans Am?

• af-ams

w..... wh.... whoah....!

then... what's... a Trans Am?

Rupaul?

Rock,

"you sound white" can mean a lot of things depending on the context in which it's used on SS. Just to note: I don't use the term myself though I think I get, more or less, the general meaning which I take to mean:

"you sound like someone who was raised on White privilege that allows people who are White to grow up without ever having to question the structures and culture of White supremacy. Thus, you are less able to recognize or understand what many (non-white) people understand: what we live in a profoundly unequal society that is - at the very least - stratified by race (as well as class and gender for starters) and that you, as a White person, can afford to not have to worry, let alone cope, with such a reality."

It goes beyond simply stating, "you sound ignorant" since, in this case, ignorance is not random but rather, the product of racism: White people are indoctrinated to be ignorant of racism since that means they won't question the system of power that maintains their privilege at the expense of others. If more White people were actually intimately aware of racism and its costs, they would be more likely to oppose institutional and cultural racism in their daily lives. However, by keeping White people ignorant of their own privilege, systems of domination persist simply because the most populous and powerful group in America is purposefully raised to be oblivious to it.

Thus, to claim that someone "sounds white" is to suggest that they are beneficiaries of racial privilege yet wholly unaware that they are privileged.

I get it.....it's an acceptable stereotype that's the Strut's politically correct way of stating "you're a racist and you're too ignorant to realize you're a racist"

And since only white people say it, the very act of stating this makes you sound white. What a conundrum.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Rock,

I get it.....it's an acceptable stereotype that's the Strut's politically correct way of stating "you're a racist and you're too ignorant to realize you're a racist"

And since only white people say it, the very act of stating this makes you sound white. What a conundrum.

Last person I saw type it was a black man.

Damn Rock, are you seriously that bored that you have to start threads like this?

I found a SICK drum break on a fluegelhorn record.

how that ties in:

The very fact that I was checking out a fleugelhorn record in the first place was pretty white of me. But white in the good way. Man, easy listening records are the coolest!!!!!!! The more I listen to them, the more I crave plaid pants. weird, huh?

Anyways, Rock, Ed Powers is black, and assuming that everybody on the internet is white until proven otherwise is a totally white move. I know. I do it all the time. I still think Faux Rills is white! I just don't learn.

Rock, I don't think you are a bad dude. But you need to learn to express yourself in a more condusive (?) way. The next time you type a post, I want you to wear a sailor hat. Like the Skipper on giligan's island. Why? I think you'll understand once you try it. It really makes a difference.

Knowledge Plopped.

Last person I saw type it was a black man.

Damn Rock, are you seriously that bored that you have to start threads like this?

Ashamedly so.

Can I assume anyone who replies is equally as bored??

Seven pages on Kramer's "N" word....I figured "You Sound White" was good for a page or two.

The strut likes to examine every blemish in the world.....except it's own.

(here's the part where the little cartoon devil on my shoulder wants me to type "You sound black" but the angel holding my balls won't let me)

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Seriously, Rich. Fawl Baque!