please give me your opinion on a deal gone bad

wyzewayzwyzewayz 303 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
here's the scenario. I bought 2 records off a seller on the board. I've never bought anything from him before, but he appears reputable. paypalled $270 U.S. dollars, one record was $200, the other was $70. he says if I buy em both, he'll include free shipping REGISTERED. I sent him the money. I asked him to declare under $20 value on the records as canada customs likes to have bum sex with people getting packages worth more than that. a month and a half goes by.... I say bro, what's the deal?he says basically: "if they didn't show up there's nothing I can do as they werent' sent registered (implying it was my fault, as he didn't remember he said he'd send them registered) I say; "you said you'd send them registered"he changes his tune a little, and apologizes, he apparently has another copy of the $70 record, but tells me there's nothing he can do about the $200 record.I tell him, trying to be nice: "you can give me $200 credit"He says : no go, and doesn't feel like he's at fault since I asked him to declare a low amount and that I gave him a different name than was on my paypal (even though they were the same address (one is the dj name, the other legal, it doesnt matter, as I've recieved packages by both names)).I tell him: If you had sent it registered, and the package was broken or damaged, I would be at fault, if you could show me the reciept.but, since he has no evidence of even sending the package, when it was supposed to be sent registered, I feel the liability is 100% on him. as it easily could be tracked.he then says, he'll send me the apparent other copy of the $70 record, plus a couple random euro records with breaks.At this point I'm like whatever. he offered me a discount if I want to buy records from him, but I'm kinda broke right now as I lost money on the last 2 hip hop shows I promoted, so I don't really have any to spare on buying more records non-locally, unless it's for the emergency grail fund.Basically, what I"m saying is "I'm right, and that he should live up to be reputable and be going out of his way for me as he fucked up." I'm fair, he says he doesn't have the loot on the $200, well, that's cool, make it up in records is all I have to say. I sympathize his loss, but it shouldn't be mine.opinions?

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Did you keep all correspondence between you & said dude???

Like the one where he said he would include registered shipping?

Why not do a chargeback on PayPal?

Did you get the shit he said he would send instead?

Fuck, whatever..

WHO WAS IT?

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    from my view as a seller, sometimes you gotta eat shit. whether youre getting played or not. obviously dude fucked up and didnt send shit out properly (w/ reg'ed mail) or didnt send it at all. he should of coughed up that $200 and sent you the extra copy of the record that he had. shit at least flip you a buck and a half.

imo

anyway, sounds like a wack transaction. theres some shady ass sellers/buyers on the msgboards nowadays anyway.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    i think that guy should either send you other records for free or refund the 200.

one of my buyers complained about a split spine (which i didn't really notice) once. i send him free records PLUS a 15% refund! so from my view, sellers have to issue a guarentee. even if they are private dealers.

• Did you keep all correspondence between you & said dude???

Like the one where he said he would include registered shipping?

Why not do a chargeback on PayPal?

Did you get the shit he said he would send instead?

Fuck, whatever..

WHO WAS IT?

I have it all still in my pm's bro.
    didn't get what he said he'd send instead yet, as I was contemplating taking him up on his 15% off on his ebay items and free shipping depending on what he had, but didn't really have the dough to bid on the one item I wanted.

I don't want to call him out, as I want to give him a chance to make right with this deal.

but yeah, thanks gropeski and jinx, basically that's what I'm sayin.

I think if you're going to sell on soulstrut, you really should be super professional about selling your wares, and you should be prepared to be reprimanded if you screw up.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I was contemplating taking him up on his 15% off on his ebay items and free shipping depending on what he had, but didn't really have the dough to bid on the one item I wanted.

Dude. Do not do business with him again after this has been dealt with. Try to come to a solution with him and then part ways admirably. If things have gone down the way you have said, you would be a crazy to do more with him.

You might as well as ask him to come over and kick you in the nuts too and shag your g/f.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    It wasn't me.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

You might as well as ask him to come over and kick you in the nuts too and shag your g/f.

don't forget to take pics too!

• I am of the opinion that a seller is resposible for the package they have sent until you recieve it.
    Therefore they should send all packages registerd just to cover their ass.
    The defence of "Oh I sent it, if it hasn't shown up its not my problem" is a crock of shit really.
    I could just as easily say " Oh I sent the cash...You didn't get it ? Send me the records anyway..."

Weak ass dealers are

Saying that though the couple of times that I've bought off other strutters it has gone without a hitch !

• Paypal chargeback.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    I am of the opinion that a seller is resposible for the package they have sent until you recieve it.

I disagree. I think a seller has a responsibility to clearly state the terms of the transaction. One of these terms, for me at least, is that the seller is not liable for lost or damaged uninsured packages. If the buyer chooses not to buy insurance then a lost or damaged package is their problem.

• I am of the opinion that a seller is resposible for the package they have sent until you recieve it.

I disagree. I think a seller has a responsibility to clearly state the terms of the transaction. One of these terms, for me at least, is that the seller is not liable for lost or damaged uninsured packages. If the buyer chooses not to buy insurance then a lost or damaged package is their problem.

I meant that sellers should only offer shipping with some sort of insurance so they automatically cover themselves and stop these types of disputes happening.

I meant that sellers should only offer shipping with some sort of insurance so they automatically cover themselves and stop these types of disputes happening.

i don't know what "these types of disputes" means but in THIS dispute the buyer PAID for registered shipping, and the seller didn't send it that way! I don't think you need to always ship things insured/registered, but if someone pays for it, and you don't do it, and they don't get their shit, you need to suck it up and give them a refund. Dude can get a refund anyway, see my previous post. So you might as well be cool about it.

You live overseas right? Imagine paying $20 per package MINIMUM to have records sent from the states.

Maybe you're into that but most other buyers are not.

I offer insurance and it is rarely purchased... and a lot of folks (myself included ) opt for the cheapest shipping method. I have one raer in usps limbo because of my stupid decision and was recently asked to ship a record surface to the UK... which will undoubtedly take two months to arrive for a massive savings of...

six dollars.

• I have one raer in usps limbo because of my stupid decision and was recently asked to ship a record surface to the UK... which will undoubtedly take two months to arrive for a massive savings of...

six dollars.

This is why I clearly state in my auctions I do not ship surface EVER. Not worth the stress. I decided that after a Frenchie asked me to ship surface, I told him it wasn't advisable, he then told me it was his perogative, I ended up sending surface telling him could be 6-8 weeks, 6 weeks later he's bitching and lightly threatening me with chargeback - yes, all to save $6. He got his LP, but needless to say I've never done that again. People trying to save coin by sending surface =

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    I am of the opinion that a seller is resposible for the package they have sent until you recieve it.

I agree with Danno. Shipping records insured from where I'm at to the US costs a fortune. Plus the customs gets interested if they see something insured for $300.

If I've understood correctly what's happened here, the seller should just eat it up and give a full refund.

• You live overseas right? Imagine paying $20 per package MINIMUM to have records sent from the states.

Must admit as most US sellers charge $12 to $14 for shipping to the UK I am quite ready to pay the extra especially if your talking about items with a value of over $100.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Damn, this is a deal gone incredibly bad and I almost feel as if the perpertrator NEEDS to be outed on here if he/she doesn't cough up the cash/records, fuck buying some other stuff at a discount.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    PUT HIM ON BLAST

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

You live overseas right? Imagine paying $20 per package MINIMUM to have records sent from the states.

Must admit as most US sellers charge $12 to $14 for shipping to the UK I am quite ready to pay the extra especially if your talking about items with a value of over $100.

which is smart, but to ship a package with tracking overseas it's about $30 and 95 percent of people won't pay that. If it's a $2-300+ record I state in my auction that the winner HAS TO pay it, but if I put that in every auction I'd get zero bids. Like it or not, getting records in the mail is a heavily faith oriented endeavour.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    BLAST

• Must admit as most US sellers charge $12 to $14 for shipping to the UK I am quite ready to pay the extra especially if your talking about items with a value of over $100.

no doubt - next year I'll be making every out of US cat pay for registered on things over $50 as I just got jerked for a sealed Erma Franklin.

• This is why I clearly state in my auctions I do not ship surface EVER.

• thanks for everybody being so opinionated----this issue is all clear now, so no names need to be mentioned, seller sent me the other copy of the one record and gave me $200 in credit. sent em registered. got em---so as far as I know except for Rap79 who stiffed me on a record earlier this year, and themack who took half a year to send me a record, Soulstrut is once again a safe place to respond to people's wants and or buy/trade

• Must admit as most US sellers charge $12 to $14 for shipping to the UK I am quite ready to pay the extra especially if your talking about items with a value of over $100.

no doubt - next year I'll be making every out of US cat pay for registered on things over $50 as I just got jerked for a sealed Erma Franklin.

newsflash....registered don't do SHIT for paypal...they still allow the chargebacks...been on the phone with em...for HOURS before...with managers, etc (god, I hate Paypal)...

the only way to prevent the all mighty chargeback...EMS which gets there much much quicker...you get $100 in insurance as well...and there is tracking