Can someone plaese explain to me Stevie Ray Vaughn

troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
I mean, I've heard a couple greatest hits cd's when I worked retail a couple years ago and dude was playing some realllllll tepid blues. Same boring rifs over and over and over. I've even seen some early live footage of him on this old mixed vhs tape I borrowed from a friend. It put me to sleep. Am I missing something? This dude is considered one of the greatest to pick up a guitar and I just don't see it. Plaese school me. Anyone?

Comments

• when i was 14 trying to learn to play the guitar i thought his "couldn't stand the weather" album was good. the song "cold shot" might still sound cool. i havn't picked up that CD in many years though.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Dude shows up on a lotta "greatest guitarists" lists. I used to work with my friend when we were in college and we had this ongoing discussion. Essentially, my point was while Stevie Ray might be "technically skilled," if you can't put together one memorable killer song, it doesn't mean shit. Randy Rhoads could ALMOST be put in the same category. He said, great is great, regardless of song output.

• you're not missing anything. He is the American Eric Clapton. Completely UNDERWHELMING blues guitar. A misinterpretation of what Hendrix was all about. They get the notes right, but without what makes the blues so immediate and captivating. Its like Steven Hawking reading poetry. Music for middle-aged white guys in those short sleeved button-up shirts with flames and dice and shit all over them. BORING.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Its like Steven Hawking reading poetry.

Easily one of my favorite Folkways albums.

• fuck him and clapton; i'd rather jerk myself off, than listen to you do it, thanks.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Every kid that was halfway decent on the guitar from 1967 on wanted to be Hendrix.....every town had a kid that could do his Hendrix schtick.....some better than others.

During the mid-70's Stevie Ray was always voted 2nd best guitarist in Dallas behind another Hendrix wanna-be, Tim Wheeler(Hook-Up, last I heard Tim was doing the Beale St. thang...ever run into him??)

But then Stevie Ray was in the right place at the right time, Austin, just when it was in the middle of that "Live Music Capital Of The World" bullshit. And for what he did, he was good....and got better......for me it might as well have been some Broadway production of Hendrixmania

Randy Hansen took it to the next level and came out on stage dressed as Hendrix in friggin black make-up!!!

Frank Marino tells the tale of tripping on LSD, seeing Jimi and picking up the guitar for the first time in his life and was able to play Hendrix licks note for note...

The all had a "gimmick" and it was all pretty mediocre.

The best thing Stevie Ray did was pay due respect to some of the REAL bluesmen and got them an audience of young white kids that they may have missed out on.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    Stevie Ray is an amazing guitar player. Some of his songs are boring but his live shit can't be fucked with. Shame shame for badmouthing his skills. The guys is an icon. Just ask Buddy Guy..

• Some of you sound like guys who are just now hearing Hendrix who say, "Eh...it just sounds so cliche."

SRV did shit differently from his contemporaries. Of course, he was heavily influenced by Hendrix and many blues greats, but he took that and made his own sound out of it. Don't blame him because you're sick of all his imitators.

Who else was tuning a half-step low, putting unbelievably heavy gauge strings on his guitar, and retrofitting with bass frets? He pretty much invented that sound.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    The video of him Live at the El Mocambo =

• Stevie Ray is an amazing guitar player. Some of his songs are boring but his live shit can't be fucked with. Shame shame for badmouthing his skills. The guys is an icon. Just ask Buddy Guy..

first off, while I love a lot of Buddy Guy's records...dude gave Jimi a cold shoulder and has expressed that he wasnt very impressed with Hendrix, even though Jimi worshipped him...so as brilliant as Buddy Guy is, I hold his opinions to be somewhat suspect.

Skills, yes....inventing a sound, yes...but at the end of the day, SRV's sound and songs are underwhleming to me. It doesnt sound like it comes from anywhere magical or goes anywhere magical. I dont see how his guitar playing is transcendental like Buddy or Jimi. Also, I am sure my opinion is tainted by living in Texas for so many years and being told about the genius of SRV a bazillion times. Like living in Memphis, I have to put up with the "genius" of Jerry Lee Lewis, another vastly over-rated "pioneer". That is a another thread however.

• I can't front, I love SRV's version of "Little Wing".

His original material isn't my bag. He definitely sounds technically proficient.

I hear what you are saying hook up, but after seeing and listening to his live material I have been truly impressed and I'm bummed that I snoozed on seeing him live. The cd with him and Albert King is great. As far as living in Texas, I could see how you're viewpoint is tainted. I live in New Jersey and have to listen to the legions of Springsteen fans yammer on about him. Hell I get abuse for hating on Bon Jovi. I guess what I'm saying is I dig Stevie....that's all. Even though he's no Jon Bon Jovi!

• You know I have the same feeling... I spoke with a co-worker of mine and he's a big SRV fan as well and I was talking with him about music in general though he play's the guitar his musical taste is quite limited and I think that happens to a lot of musicians out there, they just don't want to open the door to music and when the door is closed you keep your self limited, kind of like a kid who grows up in the country then moves to the big city to much to handle all at once.... To me you can have all the skill in the world but if you don't push the envelope your just another dude... Look at Joe Batan he can't sing the best but what he lacks with skill he makes up with lyrical soul...

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    from his last lp, check a song called RIVIERA PARADISE (I think that's the title...if not its the last track on the record). Honestly it is a gorgeous floating jazz ballad, where Stevie makes the guitar just sing.

sure he has some moments that pertain to the "guy with short sleeved shirt with flames on it" crowd, and anyone can be forgiven for hating on that, but this particular track is pure beauty. Check it out.

• Its like Steven Hawking reading poetry.

Easily one of my favorite Folkways albums.

I prefer his "Steven Hawking Indiana Jubilee with the Sounds of Soul" live album from '72.

• snosno 332 Posts
    from his last lp, check a song called RIVIERA PARADISE (I think that's the title...if not its the last track on the record). Honestly it is a gorgeous floating jazz ballad, where Stevie makes the guitar just sing.

sure he has some moments that pertain to the "guy with short sleeved shirt with flames on it" crowd, and anyone can be forgiven for hating on that, but this particular track is pure beauty. Check it out.

It sounds like in Riviera Paradise, as well as his version of Little Wing and Chitlins Con Carne and all of his slow-burner type tunes, he just throw every soul-jazz licks on the wall and see what sticks. It always starts with chord-melody, segue to smooth, jazzy single note runs, morph into Wes-like with octaves, and build up to a crescendo of blues runs to conclude the track. SRV is a very capable guitarist, but a bit formularic to my ears. Perhaps I am not in the age when long drawn out lead guitar impresses me. On the contrary, I find his short bursts of melody in David Bowie's tune and even Don Johnson's album more effective.

• I was in high school when his first two albums came out, and in a synth-pop world, he seemed like a breath of fresh air then. I actually liked him, but as I got older and started hanging out at blues clubs, I quickly got bored with all the imitators he spawned. I haven't gotten rid of the two SRV elpees I bought back then, but I don't think I've played them in a good fifteen years. (And even then, that was the first time in a while.)

One thing I have noticed: SRV is the ONLY white blues guy that has had a major influence on black blues guitarists (not the old folks, but the younger ones born too late to have seen Hendrix). Don't ask me why, it just is. I've been to enough Monday night blues jams to know!

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Just ask the Pool Cleaners and Roofers that worship Stevie Ray what they think about Vincent Bell, or Sonny Sharrock, or John Fahey, or Bola Sete. That should put things into perspective.

Just ask the Pool Cleaners and Roofers that worship Stevie Ray what they think about Vincent Bell, or Sonny Sharrock, or John Fahey, or Bola Sete. That should put things into perspective.

ask anybody about those guys

ask anybody about those guys

Exactly.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    Exactly

pretentious elitist!

Exactly

pretentious elitist!

Plaese to stop siding with the future me.

didn't he play with David Bowie or something?

& he did wear a distinctive hat

good 'branding' I'll give that to him...

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    did this stevie ray character record anything "funky"?

• Just ask the Pool Cleaners and Roofers that worship Stevie Ray what they think about Vincent Bell, or Sonny Sharrock, or John Fahey, or Bola Sete. That should put things into perspective.

Hell, Mason Williams[/b] is probably more popular than Bell, Sharrock, Fahey & Sete.

did this stevie ray character record anything "funky"?

it's looking like he played on 'Let's Dance' - does that count????

• Who else was tuning a half-step low, putting unbelievably heavy gauge strings on his guitar, and retrofitting with bass frets? He pretty much invented that sound.

i believe dick dale covered most of those grounds that you speak of.

gotta give respct to SRV but, i'm on the boat with a lot of you guys. i always felt his tunes on a wide scale to be

easy.

• ericeric 155 Posts
    EL mocambo gig is straight heat, could'n stand the weather is a dope album, the sky is crying is still my fav.
    Like it or not the dude got mad skills.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

Who else was tuning a half-step low, putting unbelievably heavy gauge strings on his guitar, and retrofitting with bass frets? He pretty much invented that sound.

i believe dick dale covered most of those grounds that you speak of.

gotta give respct to SRV but, i'm on the boat with a lot of you guys. i always felt his tunes on a wide scale to be

easy.

what about willie and the wimp and his cadillac coffin?

• I saw SRV about a half dozen times circa 82-83. Major Hendrix disciple but absolutely incredible live (back when it was only Double Trouble, pre-keyboards). His studio records got progressively more boring as time wore on, but he kicked ass in concert.

As far as white guitarists influencing black guitarists, how about Eric Claptop > Robert Cray (boring, and boring-er...)