The Message Appreciation Post!

MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
edited May 2005 in Off Topic (NRR)
You can call it played out, which I can understand, but no matter how many times I hear it, no matter how many times I play it out, its still just so cotdamn knockin'! I love cueing up that two bar intro, it always just comes in so fuckin hard, universal timeless knockin' ass choon. That beat could drop today and it would still be just as hard! Well, then again I guess you got Cube and Duff Paddy. Well, whatever shits bangin' And it always gets credit for being the first song where cats was talking about problems in the street, yadda yadda yadda, which IS important and everything, but that BEAT!! Can I get a witness?

Comments

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts
    Can I get a witness?

AMEN.

• Classic, and a solid piece of music history, no doubt, but there's a flip-side. This song pretty much caused the break-up of GM Flash and the Furious 5.
    "Can't Stop Won't Stop" has a good run down on what happened.. I'm sure someone else can give a better explanation than I can right now. (paging John Book)

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    I'm just glad people aren't pissin' on the stage anymore.

One of my favorite cuts that gets an automatic turn up on the volume whenever it comes on

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    You can call it played out, which I can understand, but no matter how many times I hear it, no matter how many times I play it out, its still just so cotdamn knockin'! I love cueing up that two bar intro, it always just comes in so fuckin hard, universal timeless knockin' ass choon. That beat could drop today and it would still be just as hard! Well, then again I guess you got Cube and Duff Paddy. Well, whatever shits bangin'

And it always gets credit for being the first song where cats was talking about problems in the street, yadda yadda yadda, which IS important and everything, but that BEAT!! Can I get a witness?

ALL TIME CLASSIC/ FAVOURITE, TIMELESS MATERIAL, SO FRESHHHHHHHHH !!!!

But where does this groove originate from, this is before the loops/samples era, so the grooves were re-recorded by studio-musicians, and the list is long, so many funkyass oldschoolrap joints, ....but does anybody know if there's a track that inspired to the creation of the intrumental of this superdope cut....?
    HOLLA !!!

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    well people often say the Message is an iterpolation of Cutey Pie by One Way but i aint really hearing it.

you need give the props straight to the sugarhill band, keith leblanc, doug wimbush et al.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    true...no one can front on that jam.

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts

you need give the props straight to the sugarhill band, keith leblanc, doug wimbush et al.

some of that good old fashioned

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    well people often say the Message is an iterpolation of Cutey Pie by One Way

this piece of info took some time to reach me...THANKS !!!

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

has this been confirmed? I just took a lsten to Cutie pie and I couldn't hear it

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    I'm just glad people aren't pissin' on the stage anymore.

Hahaha, quality.

The age-old tradition of old skool stage pissin' is still alive and kickin unfortunately....

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts

has this been confirmed? I just took a lsten to Cutie pie and I couldn't hear it

Yea, that's a pretty big streach.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

• We've talked about the original track "The Message" was interpolated from on here before, and I remember it was NOT "Cutie Pie." I've never heard the song, but someone on here knew what it was. Paging Soulman...

What about Paul Nice's dope reggae-flavored Message remix? Five-star material.

• saulgravysaulgravy 112 Posts
    no matter how many times I hear it, no matter how many times I play it out, its still just so cotdamn knockin'! I love cueing up that two bar intro

On the money. "The Message" may be my favorite rap song EVER.

But where does this groove originate from, ....but does anybody know if there's a track that inspired to the creation of the intrumental of this superdope cut....?

i've wondered this too... it's probably not "Cutie Pie," although that would make for a good beat; has anyone used it for a rap song?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Is "The Message" on 45? I have "New York, New York," but haven't seen "The Message."

Now that I think of it, my "New York, New York" 45 is from (I think) France, so that might explain it - nice PS too - but were these released on 45 in the US??

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    yea hit's definatly not cutie pie.. i just remember the last time this topic came up a few cats jumped in with the cutie pie referance.

i

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    it's probably not "Cutie Pie," although that would make for a good beat; has anyone used it for a rap song?

the intro has been used several times

i guess i could have looked it up, huh?

Who's Fooling Who?: (MCA 1982)
    * "Cutie Pie" (Drums)
    Above the Law - "V.S.O.P."
    Brandy - "Sitting up in My Room"
    C-Bo - "America's Nightmare"
    Dream Warriors - "And Now the Legacy Begins"
    MC Breed - "Late Night Creep"
    Montell Jordan - "This is How We Do It" (Remix)
    Proper Dos - "Mexican Power"
    Rodney O & Joe Cooley - "Oldie but Goodie"

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts
    it's probably not "Cutie Pie," although that would make for a good beat; has anyone used it for a rap song?

Was listening to one of my favorite usages Saturday. Celly Cell's heat for your ass. BTW there was a dope ass song called "Union St. Huslters" from Seattle that used Cutie Pie back in the day. Can't remember who did it but it was heaters. Had it on a maxell before "scarface". The God Supreme knows who did it.

The Message is based off some other record. That one Lyrics Born record uses it.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Celly Cell's heat for your ass.

Thanks, Jake! Can you drop that in the mail to me? I'd appreciate it.

Celly Cell's heat for your ass.

Thanks, Jake! Can you drop that in the mail to me? I'd appreciate it.

Don't have wax on that hommie. Keepin it cd all day everyday. Fuck records. On another note will somebody put askari x "ward of the state" on soulseek!

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    On another note will somebody put askari x "ward of the state" on soulseek!

man ..i got all excited when i was moving...."I FOUND MY ASKARI X TAPE..HELL YEAH"......BUT.....the muhfucka dont play ....i popped that bitch in the tape player and apparently water damage makes your tapes sound Screwed & chopped...

The Message is based off some other record. That one Lyrics Born record uses it.

i guess you mean Latyrx, "Lady Don't Tek No." so the original is Star Quality & Class, "Betcha Got A Dude On The Side"?

i guess you mean Latyrx, "Lady Don't Tek No." so the original is Star Quality & Class, "Betcha Got A Dude On The Side"?

ch-ch-ching! I was bout to post this.

Peaceful Ro is the only dude I know with that SQC 12.

On another note will somebody put askari x "ward of the state" on soulseek!

man ..i got all excited when i was moving...."I FOUND MY ASKARI X TAPE..HELL YEAH"......BUT.....the muhfucka dont play ....i popped that bitch in the tape player and apparently water damage makes your tapes sound Screwed & chopped...

I think I got the tape too but I need that good digital copy! Somebody has to have that shit on soulseek. I always get banned trying to fuck with dudes on the west coast room. They must get scared off by my library records and east coast rap selections or something.

That must be it. I don't have either record.

I think the issue is that both "Betcha Got a Dude" and "The Message" came out in 1982, so it's unclear who copied who... or perhaps they both copied another record? although that seems unlikely.

• "Rapper's Delight" and "Good Times" both came out in 1979.
    Sugarhill is notorious for lifting of-the-moment breaks and melodies (see Freedom, White Lines, It's Nasty, etc), so I'd imagine Star Quality & Class came first.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    "Rapper's Delight" and "Good Times" both came out in 1979.
    Sugarhill is notorious for lifting of-the-moment breaks and melodies (see Freedom, White Lines, It's Nasty, etc), so I'd imagine Star Quality & Class came first.

Ehh, I don't think that's really dispositive... everyone lifted of-the-moment breaks and melodies back then; Sugarhill was just the only label large enough to get sued behind it.

The order of release has never been clear, but as big as "The Message" ultimately became, it's always seemed to me that SQC would have made some noise about their work being appropriated if their record truly had come first.