Collecting Fela Records

drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
Does it make more sense to get OG albums or just go for the boxed LP set on Barclay?

Comments

• Box set is pretty excellent. Get box sets 3 and 4 while they're still available. First two already going for bank on Ebay.

• Box set is pretty excellent. Get box sets 3 and 4 while they're still available. First two already going for bank on Ebay.

for real? whats in 3 & 4?

i got boxes 1 & 2 and i run em to death.

for real? whats in 3 & 4?

i got boxes 1 & 2 and i run em to death.

Don't know off the top of my head but here's the result of a quick Google.

http://www.discogs.com/release/313206
    http://www.discogs.com/release/522331

Last time I checked box set 1 and 2 were going for about $200 per set.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    just remember jedi knight, you can never own them all.

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    I think that on some of the Celluloid reissues Bill Laswell mixed Fela's sax down considerably, "because it's just shit sax playing" (quote from a Laswell interview I'll never forget). So you might not want to spend money on those.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    ahhh... cool.

• Bill Laswell mixed Fela's sax down considerably, "because it's just shit sax playing" (quote from a Laswell interview I'll never forget).

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Does it make more sense to get OG albums or just go for the boxed LP set on Barclay?

It makes no sense whatsoever to try and track down OGs of all his releases, but not many of the things that us collectros do make sense.

• I think that on some of the Celluloid reissues Bill Laswell mixed Fela's sax down considerably, "because it's just shit sax playing" (quote from a Laswell interview I'll never forget). So you might not want to spend money on those.

That was in the Wire a few years ago, right? Man, Bill Laswell could only hope to have had 1/1000 the impact on the world that Fela did.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    I bought all 4 box sets a while back and have since also bought a bunch of Nigerian OGs on Kalkuta, EMI and "Tropical" or whatever that other label with the sivler/blue palmtree background is.

I have to say that to my ear, the box set records sound great, clean and crisp with a very strong bass to it. Couldn't really sound much better in my opinion and most times I strongly dislike the sound of most reissues. Those guys at Barclay did a great job with this.

There is only one downside to the Box Sets that come with a nice (although always the same one) booklet and (I think) a total of two postcard sets with amazing pictures of Fela and gorgeous shots of his women/dancers:
    Sadly, all the covers are slightly blurred, palish and cheap looking, even compared to a waterdamaged and faded OGs with ringwear they still look kinda weak.

I think if you're not suffering under serious OG fetishism, you're best off to score those 4 box sets and if you feel like it, spend some money on OGs of the stuff that's not included in them.

All 4 box sets should still be scorable for reasonable money, some have sold for loot on eBay but that's due to the "when two fools meet" syndrome.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    I bought all 4 box sets a while back and have since also bought a bunch of Nigerian OGs on Kalkuta, EMI and "Tropical" or whatever that other label with the sivler/blue palmtree background is.

I have to say that to my ear, the box set records sound great, clean and crisp with a very strong bass to it. Couldn't really sound much better in my opinion and most times I strongly dislike the sound of most reissues. Those guys at Barclay did a great job with this.

There is only one downside to the Box Sets that come with a nice (although always the same one) booklet and (I think) a total of two postcard sets with amazing pictures of Fela and gorgeous shots of his women/dancers:
    Sadly, all the covers are slightly blurred, palish and cheap looking, even compared to a waterdamaged and faded OGs with ringwear they still look kinda weak.

I think if you're not suffering under serious OG fetishism, you're best off to score those 4 box sets and if you feel like it, spend some money on OGs of the stuff that's not included in them.

All 4 box sets should still be scorable for reasonable money, some have sold for loot on eBay but that's due to the "when two fools meet" syndrome.

yo, you ever find any records by a band called Aktion???

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Box set 1 :
    "Open & close" (1971), "Gentleman" (1973), "Upside down" (1976), "Yellow fever" (1976), "J.J.D." (1977) et "ITT" (1979).

Box set 2:
    "Shakara" (1972), "Expensive shit" (1975), "Monkey banana" (1976), "Na poi" (1971), "Sorrow tears & blood" (1977) et "Authority stealing" (1980).

Box set 3 :
    "Kalakuta show" (1977), "Zombie" (1977, "Fear not for man" (1977), No agreement" (1977), Shuffering and shmiling" (1978) et "Coffin for head of state" (1980)

Box set 4 :
    "With Ginger Baker Live!" (1971), "Roforofo fight" (1972), "Alagbon close" (1975), "He miss road" (1975), "Everything scatter" (1975) et "Ikoyi blindness" (1976).

He released FIVE albums in 1977?

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    Box set 1 :
    "Open & close" (1971), "Gentleman" (1973), "Upside down" (1976), "Yellow fever" (1976), "J.J.D." (1977) et "ITT" (1979).

Box set 2:
    "Shakara" (1972), "Expensive shit" (1975), "Monkey banana" (1976), "Na poi" (1971), "Sorrow tears & blood" (1977) et "Authority stealing" (1980).

Box set 3 :
    "Kalakuta show" (1977), "Zombie" (1977, "Fear not for man" (1977), No agreement" (1977), Shuffering and shmiling" (1978) et "Coffin for head of state" (1980)

Box set 4 :
    "With Ginger Baker Live!" (1971), "Roforofo fight" (1972), "Alagbon close" (1975), "He miss road" (1975), "Everything scatter" (1975) et "Ikoyi blindness" (1976).

He released FIVE albums in 1977?

That's like ten songs when where speaking of Fela.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts

yo, you ever find any records by a band called Aktion???
    Someone gave me an LP in a trade a while back, on closer inspection, I didn't like it and returned it for soemething else, can't remember the titel, it was on the same label as the Doves LP, the one with the shamrock... my memory isn't doing too well these days. Just arrived in Cotonou yesterday and immediately hit the Jonquet strip for a wild night out, today I'm relaxing at the pool, waiting for my record agents to show up with their exploits from the past few months since my last visit...