edited November 2006 in Strut Central
S/T.Peace, 'Check . . .

Comments

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    2!

peace, Day

• 1,2,3,and fosters first are all tied for me
    at gunpoint,id have to take 2

• Ah man... yall are blind baby, blind to the facts!

- Wish That I Could Talk To You
    - Folls Paradise
    - Only One Can Win

What's fucking with that leadoff three?

• Ah man... yall are blind baby, blind to the facts!

- Wish That I Could Talk To You
    - Folls Paradise
    - Only One Can Win

What's fucking with that leadoff three?

Yeah, they smash you with those first 3 on s/t. I honestly can't choose between those Sylvers albums though (we ARE just talking about their 1st three, right? Not that I don't love "Boogie Fever"... just sayin')... each of them have their share of
    Usually if I play one of them, I gotta then play the other two as well (or just play my homemade "best of Sylvers" cd-r, made from MP3s I illegally downloaded off of soulseek )

• i thought "only one can win your love" was on 2???
    man, i dont even diferentiate those things...they all blend together seemlessly. best songs? "whats it all about" , "we can make it", and despite plaid out factor,you gotta tip hat to "misdemeanor"

• TOP 5 SYLVERS SONGS (NOT COUNTING FOSTER'S SCHITT):

Fool's Paradise
    Only One Can Win
    Even This Shall Pass Away
    I Know Myself
    (tie)Cry Of A Dreamer / I'll Never Let You Go (love songs about muthafuckas going blind are so )

• I've always thought the track to Fool's Paradise could be on a Cymande record...

for me...it's #1 for overall album....although, the "We Can Make It If We Try" of 2nd...is

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    "whats it all about" , "we can make it"

..."cry of a dreamer" "I don't need to prove myself" etc.

Whoever did the songwriting and orchestration for them was

I have 1 and 2 but I still have yet to hear 3. Crazy, I know. I need to so somebody hook eet aahp

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I have 1 and 2 but I still have yet to hear 3.

It is RAER... at least compared to the first two.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

I have 1 and 2 but I still have yet to hear 3.

It is RAER... at least compared to the first two.

That's good to know. I was feeling like a P*t***k little dude after posting that. I think it's time for a real heads post.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    I can't decide between 1 and 2, both are amazing albums. Still have yet to hear 3 unfortunately..

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    "Can it be ur faith in me had met its end ....

when u lost ur siiiiiiiiight ...

af-ter the doctor said u'd never see agaaaaaaain

i knew right then what our love life would be liiiiike

but u mustn't feel that ur ALOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONE"

:

That song is on 45(-8)

Favorite LP ?

Combine the beginning of 1 ,the middle of 2 and the end of 3 and you have a perfect album

• Combine the beginning of 1 ,the middle of 2 and the end of 3 and you have a perfect album

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    S/T.

Peace, 'Check . . .

Yep that's the one.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

WE CAN MAKE IT IF WE TRY!!!

Not many Sylvers vid on u tube :/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49_RhHvTdnY

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    2+1=3

• man, the FROS at about 3:20 on this clip!

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

II

Harvey Mason?

• that Sylvers video was excrutiating...reminds me to never pick up any of their records after the first 3. was there ANYTHNG good post Pride label?

• macacamacaca 278 Posts
    even though i LOVE "i know myself",
    II is the better album for me.

fosters solo shit isnt too far behind either.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    that Sylvers video was excrutiating...reminds me to never pick up any of their records after the first 3. was there ANYTHNG good post Pride label?

ask guzzo

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Numero uno

but you gotta love that make it if we try

I second day in the fact i have yet to here the 3

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    1,2,3,and fosters first are all tied for me

• Was there a story in Wax Po or some place talking about the making of those early Sylvers albums? If not there should be. The production and songwriting was so ... always wanted to know the full story on who was really behind them. I know damn well it wasn't Michael Viner. Seems like I remember reading something somewhere... did you write about these records, O-Dub?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Havent heard 3 before. New Horizons is my fav w/ Edmund's S/T up there.

• Was there a story in Wax Po or some place talking about the making of those early Sylvers albums? If not there should be. The production and songwriting was so ... always wanted to know the full story on who was really behind them.

Don't take the credit away from the man who is credited with writing a lot of those songs: Leon Sylvers III. It's not surprising that he went on to be a first-call soul producer in the eighties.

Unfortunately, I believe Sylvers kept writing for his brothers and sisters on into the Capitol years as well.

Why do I say "unfortunately?"

Because when the family went to Capitol, it sounds like Leon dumbed himself down to get bigger hits!

When I first heard the Sylvers' first elpee on Pride, I was shocked at how advanced the shit sounded, considering their "OTHER Jackson Five" role as teen idols. Even Foster Sylvers' hit, "Misdemeanor," had some intelligent lyrics for a J-5 ripoff, especially when Foster's older sisters (who sang backup) "comment" on his heartbreak, comparing it to "when you get your first ticket for illegal parking...for all you know, it's no big deal...take it slow, she's not for real...it's just a misdemeanor."

Think you're gonna get that kind of insight from Chee Chee & Peppy? Think again!

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    that Sylvers video was excrutiating...reminds me to never pick up any of their records after the first 3. was there ANYTHNG good post Pride label?

ask guzzo

on their first album for Capitol (the one from '76) they have this great slowjam called "Storybook Girl".

On the moder tip theres a nice Edmund Sylvers joint from '81 and a nice Sylvers group joint from the same year.

none of these things are touching the Pride label output though

• Was there a story in Wax Po or some place talking about the making of those early Sylvers albums? If not there should be. The production and songwriting was so ... always wanted to know the full story on who was really behind them.

Don't take the credit away from the man who is credited with writing a lot of those songs: Leon Sylvers III. It's not surprising that he went on to be a first-call soul producer in the eighties.

Unfortunately, I believe Sylvers kept writing for his brothers and sisters on into the Capitol years as well.

Why do I say "unfortunately?"

Because when the family went to Capitol, it sounds like Leon dumbed himself down to get bigger hits!

When I first heard the Sylvers' first elpee on Pride, I was shocked at how advanced the shit sounded, considering their "OTHER Jackson Five" role as teen idols. Even Foster Sylvers' hit, "Misdemeanor," had some intelligent lyrics for a J-5 ripoff, especially when Foster's older sisters (who sang backup) "comment" on his heartbreak, comparing it to "when you get your first ticket for illegal parking...for all you know, it's no big deal...take it slow, she's not for real...it's just a misdemeanor."

Think you're gonna get that kind of insight from Chee Chee & Peppy? Think again!

A friend of mine's dad played with a lotta people in LA and was part of a motown group in the 80's says Leon hummed entire songs. All the parts, never wrote (don't think he knew how to) shit down. He always says Leon Sylvers was the most talented person he ever worked with. This was pre jigga lol.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    II

We Can Make it if we Try + Stay Away From Me =

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    on their first album for Capitol (the one from '76) they have this great slowjam called "Storybook Girl".

On the moder tip theres a nice Edmund silvers joint from '81 and I nice Sylers joint from the same yesr.

Storybook Girl -