1200 question

KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
Hi all, hope the holiday weekend was al that you wanted it to be. I've got a real random type question about one of my TT's. It seems to sometimes get some distortion or drop out or somethin' particularly in the right channel. Now, It's not that old (~8 months) but I'm still wondering if it could be a short in the RCA's. I've switched carts we the other deck and the problem persists so it's not that. The other weird thing about the problem is it is real intermittent, like it'll happen right when I turn the thing on and continue now and then for like 10 or 15 minutes then it seems to clear itself up. I though maybe it's the mixer channel and switched the TT's but that proved inconclusive as neither table gave me problems. Could I really have a short on the RCA already? I'm thinking short since the problem is so intermittent?

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I've had that problem on mine for a while, and I've been real lazy about fixing it. I tap the rca a few times and it seems to work.

I think it's a fairly common problem with 1200s.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    The factory rca's on 1200's are shit. I had mine pre-emptively replaced with female rca's.

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    I had mine pre-emptively replaced with female rca's.
    Why female? Don't you have to use a converter to plug into mixers this way? Is it the cables that are shit?

OH! you mean female mounted right on the chasis, so you conect w/ any standard RCA cable. How much did this cost you and where did you have it done?

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    I've had that -- sometimes you got to blow some air into the tone arm, sometimes you gotta fiddle with the rca's in the back. I dont know how to fix it, but I feel your pain.

OH! you mean female mounted right on the chasis, so you conect w/ any standard RCA cable. How much did this cost you and where did you have it done?

zactly. It was $40 each with a tune up and cleaning. Not a bad deal.

It was $40 each with a tune up and cleaning.
    Where did you get the work done?

If you're interested in having it done, I can pm you the number but I'm not sure that they do shipping and all that.

• The factory rca's on 1200's are shit. I had mine pre-emptively replaced with female rca's.

Yeah those RCA's suck ass. Heh, I bought my 1200's used, and I guess the dude I bought em from had tried to do some home surgery of his own, because one of them was wired out of phase (+/- was reversed). Took me a while to figure out why one table always sounded like shit. Opened it up and soldered some nice new gold RCA's in, made sure the phase was correct and it was like oh SHIT, that's where the all the bass was hiding! One of these days I might break out the dremmel and try putting some female plugs in.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Karl, you might wanna try Arizona Sound & Light. CATS used to do it but they went out of business.

Herm