Someone in England hacked into my paypal account..

99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
And withdrew $800 from my checking account!! Don't know how they did it, but they did. I've already talked to paypal and my bank. I'm sure this will get straigntened out, but has anyone been in a similiar situation? Any advice on what you learned? I've already changed my passwords...

Comments

• There's also a possibility that this is Paypal's fuck-up (though they wouldn't admit to it). Either way, any advice is welcomed here.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    stinger!

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    did you open any suspect email links recently?

• My little bro got taken for $10K from his bank account. I was shocked more from the fact that he had $10K saved up than from the fact that it was stolen. He got it back though. I think he got taken by some phishing scam because the story he gave me sounded suspect.

Bottomline, you're protected. Might take a few days to get your cash back though.

• did you open any suspect email links recently?

Never that. I know all the tricks and I am very wary. Clean caches, delete cookies. Only make transactions on your home computer, etc.

The only thing I haven't been doing is changing my passwords regularly.

• My little bro got taken for $10K from his bank account. I was shocked more from the fact that he had $10K saved up than from the fact that it was stolen. He got it back though. I think he got taken by some phishing scam because the story he gave me sounded suspect.

Bottomline, you're protected. Might take a few days to get your cash back though.

Hey, do you know whether it was through paypal?

Hey, do you know whether it was through paypal?

I don't think so. He said they took it through a faked ATM card.