is my ipod dead?

matamaticmatamatic 488 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
my ipod won't respond when I hook it up to my usb port...Itunes doesn't even open up. I can hear the hard drive making a clicking noise. Is it a wrap for my 2 year old ipod?(i just finally started using the thing on the daily though!) damn...

Comments

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Maybe check it isn't your USB ports and leads if you haven't already?

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Mine died a similar death after a year and a half... The warranty had expired but a guy in a mac store said I should try calling Apple and bitching about it... Haven't got around to doing it yet though. I'm pretty sure the harddrive's busted, sounds like it could be the same thing with yours. Check the walkthrough on the Apple site - I didn't help me, though...

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    my ipod won't respond when I hook it up to my usb port...Itunes doesn't even open up. I can hear the hard drive making a clicking noise. Is it a wrap for my 2 year old ipod?(i just finally started using the thing on the daily though!) damn...

does it work standalone?

If so, you may need to back up on a different computer uninstall itunes, clear your temp files. Reinstall Itunes, and format your ipod.

If no, then you need to explain what it does.

- spidey

• Try 'dis.

To reset iPod video, iPod nano, iPod mini, iPod mini (Second Generation), iPod photo, and iPod (Click Wheel)

1. Toggle the Hold switch on and off. (Slide it to Hold, then turn it off again.)
    2. Press and hold the Menu and Select buttons until the Apple logo appears, about 6 to 10 seconds. You may need to repeat this step.
    3. If the above steps did not work, try connecting iPod to a power adapter and plug the power adapter into an electrical outlet, or connect iPod to your computer. Make sure the computer is turned on and isn't set to go to sleep.
    4. If this doesn't work, then you need to leave the ipod on until its battery is completey drained. Plug it in and when it charges enough go to #1. Repeat as needed.

To reset older iPods including iPod (Scroll Wheel), and iPod (Touch Wheel)

1. Toggle the Hold switch on and off. (Slide it to Hold, then turn it off again.)
    2. Press and hold the Play/Pause and Menu buttons until the Apple/iPod logo appears, about 6 to 10 seconds. You may need to repeat this step.

If the above steps did not work, try connecting iPod to a power adapter and plug the power adapter into an electrical outlet, or connect iPod to your computer. Make sure the computer is turned on and isn't set to go to sleep.

Tip: If you are having difficulty resetting your iPod, set it on a flat surface. Make sure the finger pressing the Select button is not touching any part of the click wheel. Also make sure that you are pressing the Menu button toward the outside of the click wheel, and not near the center.

If you are still unable to reset your iPod, use only one finger from one hand to press the Select button, and one finger from the other hand to press the Menu button.

, and if its dead....Im sorry for your loss.

Peace for now, Peace for later

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    PUT IT IN THE FREEZER

it works, seriously. Just keep it away from ice/water

Just turn it off and put it in the freezer. Then take it out maybe 8 hrs later. Give it some time to dethaw. Then it should work.

(I'm assuming its not a flash drive)

I mean, its a short term solution but it will tide you over for the short term at least.

• Also, check your cords. I had a similar problem, and I switched out my girl's cord, and everything worked fine.

• PUT IT IN THE FREEZER

Just turn it off and put it in the freezer. Then take it out maybe 8 hrs later. Give it some time to dethaw. Then it should work.

I mean, its a short term solution but it will tide you over for the short term at least.

Do you know what this does to get it to work? Just curious.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    PUT IT IN THE FREEZER

Do you know what this does to get it to work? Just curious.

Its something to do w/ the delicate nature of the hard drives on the older ipods, before they started using flash drives. I guess what happens is they overheat, and that causes parts to expand, or something. Which is why its a temporary solution.

When you bring a hard drive that has broken to a repair shop to try to save the data, this is essentially what they do to it - although they have special freezers and don't stick your hard drive next to your green beans. Supposedly.