US now less progressive than South Africa...

kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
...never thought i'd write that. South Africa Overwhelmingly Approves Gay Marriage

Comments

• They have one of the most progressive constitutions in the world...

...but their president (Mbeki) still doesn't believe hiv causes AIDS.

• ok. quickly.

i'm not going to ammend or edit what i wrote, but it was done in haste as a driveby link post...as soon as i wrote the 'never thought...' line, i hated it. ah well.

so, i'll say...

US Still Ass backwards on Gay Marriage Issue, while Rest of World Moves ahead.

That's what I was going for.

• US Still Ass backwards on Gay Marriage Issue, while Rest of World Moves ahead.

agreed.

• Post deleted by Danno3000 because of unnecessary, wildly inflammatory, and arguably hateful drivel.

• commie terrorist mandela

I think you were looking for the letters which would spell 'reconciliator and unifer'.

PEACE
    G

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    South africa has been more "progressive" than the US ever since the election of commie terrorist mandela. Which is why its a crime ridden shithole.

Comparing SA and the US as being more progresive is somehow misleading (and that??s already clarified above), but talking about Mandela as commie terrorist and SA as a crime ridden shithole is simply bullshit.

• SA as a crime ridden shithole is simply bullshit.

Maybe 'shithole' is too strong a word, but according to the Seventh United Nations Survey of Crime Trends and Operations of Criminal Justice Systems, from 1998-2000, South Africa had the second most most assaults[1], second most rapes[2], and most murders with firearms[3] of any country, beating India in the first two categories and Columbia in the third. See http://www.nationmaster.com/red/country/sf-south-africa/cri-crime&b_cite=1 for more.

Gee, that country sure seems to have a lot of crime, huh? Would it not be fair to say it was ridden with crime?

[1] http://www.nationmaster.com/red/pie-T/cri_ass-crime-assaults
    [2] http://www.nationmaster.com/red/pie-T/cri_rap-crime-rapes
    [3] http://www.nationmaster.com/red/pie-T/cri_mur_wit_fir-crime-murders-with-firearms

• salviasalvia 279 Posts
    How is approving gay marriage progressive though?
    Here in Holland it has been legal for years now and i think it should have it's restrictions. I think it's ok if they just want to mary but if they want to have non-adopted children, it's not ok. Children have the right to be raised up by both a father & a mother and not two of the same. It goes against nature's principles IMO.

• It goes against nature's principles IMO.

If you could forward to me where those principles were written, that would be greatly appreciated.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    How is approving gay marriage progressive though?

Get with the program.....

Anything that eliminates the outdated and ignorant morals of Christianity or what is percieved as traditional "Family Values" is progressive.

That and Emerson, Lake & Palmer.

• How is approving gay marriage progressive though?

Get with the program.....

Anything that eliminates the outdated and ignorant morals of Christianity or what is percieved as traditional "Family Values" is progressive.

Cute.

But, so very wrong. TakeThatShitToFoxNews.Com.

Anything that extends equal rights to people, and does not discriminate based on their sexual orientation, or hell, religious affiliation is progressive.

Bigotry against gay people and their RIGHT to marry is not heroic. It is just bigotry.

• salviasalvia 279 Posts
    It goes against nature's principles IMO.

If you could forward to me where those principles were written, that would be greatly appreciated.

Notice how i ended the sentence with 'IMO'. They are not written anywhere. It's my opinion from somewhat related experience.
    I have been raised without a father, since he died when i was 3 years old, and it pisses me off if a gay couple would want to raise a child conciously without a father or a mother.

• subsub 311 Posts
    same source: http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_rap-crime-rapes

rape total is nearly the double in the united states.....

SA as a crime ridden shithole is simply bullshit.

Maybe 'shithole' is too strong a word, but according to the Seventh United Nations Survey of Crime Trends and Operations of Criminal Justice Systems, from 1998-2000, South Africa had the second most most assaults[1], second most rapes[2], and most murders with firearms[3] of any country, beating India in the first two categories and Columbia in the third. See http://www.nationmaster.com/red/country/sf-south-africa/cri-crime&b_cite=1 for more.

Gee, that country sure seems to have a lot of crime, huh? Would it not be fair to say it was ridden with crime?

• Notice how i ended the sentence with 'IMO'. They are not written anywhere. It's my opinion from somewhat related experience.
    I have been raised without a father, since he died when i was 3 years old, and it pisses me off if a gay couple would want to raise a child conciously without a father or a mother.

Uhm, but the child would have two parents.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    The one thing I don't understand is how come Christianity is the one always called out? When all the major religions have some pretty crazy views. But aleast within Christianity there are many who don't oppose gay marriage. I know I don't. Other religions speak up... In temple & mosques are people as accepting?

Also, That commie terrorist mandela comment was some fucked up shit.

• salviasalvia 279 Posts
    Notice how i ended the sentence with 'IMO'. They are not written anywhere. It's my opinion from somewhat related experience.

Yes, but that is not the same. Maybe it is in your world view though. But i see clear differences between the role of a father and a mother. One thing i do have to say though, is that gay couples usually divide into the father/mother roles to some extent. But it's not the same thing.

• The one thing I don't understand is how come Christianity is the one always called out? When all the major religions have some pretty crazy views. But aleast within Christianity there are many who don't oppose gay marriage. I know I don't. Other religions speak up... In temple & mosques are people as accepting?

well, seeing as how people are trying to say that the US is a christian nation, in terms of this argument in this country, it is a Christian issue as far as religion goes.

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    same source: http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_rap-crime-rapes

and the total population is almost seven times larger in the united states

• same source: http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_rap-crime-rapes

True, but since the United States has a population roughly 15 times as big as South Africa, we would have (again, scaling roughly) 6k-7k rapes per 20 million people. Since South Africa had 8-9 times that number in 1998-2000, it would seem to have a larger problem w/ rape than the US. See the per capita chart: http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_rap_percap-crime-rapes-per-capita

So you're not even wrong.

edit: fuck, beaten

• Notice how i ended the sentence with 'IMO'. They are not written anywhere. It's my opinion from somewhat related experience.

Yes, but that is not the same. Maybe it is in your world view though. But i see clear differences between the role of a father and a mother. One thing i do have to say though, is that gay couples usually divide into the father/mother roles to some extent. But it's not the same thing.

NOTHING is "the same thing". There is no black-and-white, written-in-stone "father" experience, nor a "mother" experience. All moms and dads are different. If two people want to bring a child up in a loving environment, more power to them.

• subsub 311 Posts
    german news papers had some article about a new report issued in south africa last month that every 7th men in south africa has commited at least one rape in his life. quite shocking.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    The one thing I don't understand is how come Christianity is the one always called out? When all the major religions have some pretty crazy views. But aleast within Christianity there are many who don't oppose gay marriage. I know I don't. Other religions speak up... In temple & mosques are people as accepting?

Ultra-orthodox Jews can equal the extremists of any other faith when it comes to spitting virulent anti-gay hate. In fact, if extremist Jews and Muslims have common ground beyond their extremism, it's violent homophobia.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

Ultra-orthodox Jews can equal the extremists of any other faith when it comes to spitting virulent anti-gay hate. In fact, if extremist Jews and Muslims have common ground beyond their extremism, it's violent homophobia.

This is what led Elton John to make the comment this week that if it were up to him he would do away with ALL religions.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    In fact, if extremist Jews and Muslims have common ground beyond their extremism, it's violent homophobia.

The Daily Show did a pretty scathing segment about this last night. They pointed out how in Israel, the hardline Orthodox Jews enlisted the help of...wait for it...hardline Muslim clerics in the denunciation of gay marriage, prompting Stewart to knock one out of the park: "Oh, gays...is there any problem that can't be solved by hating you?"

• The one thing I don't understand is how come Christianity is the one always called out? When all the major religions have some pretty crazy views. But aleast within Christianity there are many who don't oppose gay marriage. I know I don't. Other religions speak up... In temple & mosques are people as accepting?

my temple has hella gay people. that said, once you get to the extreme fundamentalist side of any religion you are gonna have resistance to gay rights. the ultra-orthodox shitbirds just went crazy last few weeks in Jerusalem at the propsect of a gay Pride parade. (parade went through, by the way, albeit in a scaled-down format. so secular-humanist values won out I guess this time.)

• salviasalvia 279 Posts
    There is no black-and-white

Mother-and-father seems black-and-white to me. Otherwise it would be black-and-black or white-and-white, wouldn't it.

moms and dads are different

My point exactly.

If two people want to bring a child up in a loving environment, more power to them.

I'll have to disagree with this. Btw, most people i discussed this with, disagree with me on this issue.

• SA as a crime ridden shithole is simply bullshit.

[1] http://www.nationmaster.com/red/pie-T/cri_ass-crime-assaults
    [2] http://www.nationmaster.com/red/pie-T/cri_rap-crime-rapes
    [3] http://www.nationmaster.com/red/pie-T/cri_mur_wit_fir-crime-murders-with-firearms

I just wanna give props where due: While not taking a position on the opinions and/or statistics expressed in this post, props for full citations/footnotes.

• I thought this thread was going to be about how the Hammak Live LP totally shits on Albatross and Praise The Load.

• Post deleted by Danno3000 because Dolo is banned from this thread for misbehaving. He's in the corner wearing a dunce cap if anyone wants to jeer at him.

• BAN

really. I don't even post here that much, and I still feel like I have the authority to write that.

fucking BAN

ignorant scum.

I'm ignorant? if you didnt know mandela was a terrorist(he headed the spear of the nation) or that he was a communist(he wrote a pamphlet called "how to be a good communist" for god sakes!)then it is you my friend who is ignorant.

history>idolatry

george bush is a glorified draft dodger.