New NEEDLE Apprecation POST

drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
I'll send a free MP3 of my liking to the first person who can correctly guess which album I played first with it.And represent your needle, if you got love for it!!! Mine is

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    we all know it was the self-titled curtis and i think i have those but i forget what the model number is

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    I'm gonna guess Lee Moses - Time and Place? *grumble grumble lucky bastard*

And yes I like me a new Shure 447, what's that joint you got above, looks a little heavy no?

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I'll send your MP3 w/ in 24 hours time. Thank for playing.

I'm gonna guess Lee Moses - Time and Place? *grumble grumble lucky bastard*

Well, that was actually the second album...

And yes I like me a new Shure 447, what's that joint you got above, looks a little heavy no?

The Shure M97XE. It's a pretty light cartridge, actually. The blue Dynamic Stabilizer isn't nearly as heavy as it looks.

• lucerolucero 425 Posts
    I'm going to go with Eddie Kendricks - People hold on

M447's here, freshly minted up too

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Four Mints?

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts

that photo is awesome. Tilt-shift cameras be damned, macro focus represent!

• TobiTobi 187 Posts

The Shure M97XE. It's a pretty light cartridge, actually. The blue Dynamic Stabilizer isn't nearly as heavy as it looks.

Would you recommend this one? How is the sound quality? I'm looking for something new but don't know which one I should buy. There are too many...

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

This AT440MLa cartridge is equipped with Audio-Technica's patented Dual
    Magnet cartridge design and delivers ???PRACTICALLY IDENTICAL TO
    THE CUTTER HEAD??? performance. Additional features include a
    Paratoroidal generator coil circuit, a Micro-Linear stylus, plus other
    advanced designs for top performance.
    Please read instructions thoroughly before using the cartridge.
    The AT440MLa uses PCOCC (Pure Copper by Ohno Continuous Casting
    process) in the construction of its coil and lead wires. Its advanced
    MicroLine??? stylus produces better high frequency response with less wear
    and distortion than elliptical or conventional linear contact styli.

($88)

Would you recommend this one? How is the sound quality? I'm looking for something new but don't know which one I should buy. There are too many...

I've only had one night's worth of listening, so I'll have to revisit this after a break-in period, but I could immediately tell the difference over my DJ-oriented Stanton Trackmaster. I wanted more of a "listening" cartridge, and this plays the role very well. It???s considered an affordable audiophile needle.

I don't have much technical knowledge in this area, but what I???ve heard so far sounds pretty amazing. I can hear details in music that were masked previously. Highs sound crisp, bass is tight, and the M97XE really shines in the mid-range! Surface noise is also more evident, as a result of the cleaner sound, though. So, I'll be upgrading some of my favorite records that are in questionable condition - a good idea anyway. The Dynamic Stabilizer maintains uniform distance between record and cartridge when in use (especially with semi-warped records) and also brushes away dust before the needle approaches.

I'm very satisfied at this point.

Helpful links:

The most informative review of the needle

$62 on Amazon

• Lee Moses - Time and Place?

I pity the fool who don't play that rekkid.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts

Highs sound crisp, bass is tight, and the M97XE really shines in the mid-range! Surface noise is also more evident, as a result of the cleaner sound, though.

werd. I have one of these too. You must play really really clean records though to fully appreciate it. And there is no sense on playing something that is less than EX (cause you will wear out the needle).

It will also help to use the rubber mat that came with your turntable.

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    is that amazon deal better than everywhere else by a good margin? if so i might order that shits like....right now.

is that amazon deal better than everywhere else by a good margin? if so i might order that shits like....right now.

I scoured the internets and this is the absolute chepeast I could find. The only thing I would have done differently was pay extra for faster shipping....

Please to elaborate on how this helps. (I've been rocking the same red and white "peace" slipmats for the same 8 years I had the old needles.)

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I love my Shure V15 Type III cartridge, but only have one, it's hard to find another for cheap & having unmatched turntables is kinda bumming me out.

Please to elaborate on how this helps. (I've been rocking the same red and white "peace" slipmats for the same 8 years I had the old needles.)

it does a few things.

-keeps the record clean, felt mats will leave dust and particles in your grooves.
    -it also lowers vibration caused by outside elements (ie: walking near your turntable on a hard woodfloor).

even though these changes are small, every little bit counts when it comes to audiophile sound.

I love my Shure V15 Type III cartridge, but only have one, it's hard to find another for cheap & having unmatched turntables is kinda bumming me out.

why do you need two? you are not mixing with them are you?

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

Yeah, well I hope to, at the moment its the V15 & some other not as awesome Shure cart. SC35C I think, the light blue crap one. I have another couple of matched cartridges too but I've loaned them out to a friend long term.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    (I've been rocking the same red and white "peace" slipmats for the same 8 years I had the old needles.)

I have a feeling ANY needle would've sounded amazing to you after that much use!

• TobiTobi 187 Posts

I've only had one night's worth of listening, so I'll have to revisit this after a break-in period, but I could immediately tell the difference over my DJ-oriented Stanton Trackmaster. I wanted more of a "listening" cartridge, and this plays the role very well. It???s considered an affordable audiophile needle.

I don't have much technical knowledge in this area, but what I???ve heard so far sounds pretty amazing. I can hear details in music that were masked previously. Highs sound crisp, bass is tight, and the M97XE really shines in the mid-range! Surface noise is also more evident, as a result of the cleaner sound, though. So, I'll be upgrading some of my favorite records that are in questionable condition - a good idea anyway. The Dynamic Stabilizer maintains uniform distance between record and cartridge when in use (especially with semi-warped records) and also brushes away dust before the needle approaches.

I'm very satisfied at this point.

Helpful links:

The most informative review of the needle

$62 on Amazon

Thanks for your information, maybe I'll go for this one...

• I love my Shure V15 Type III cartridge, but only have one, it's hard to find another for cheap & having unmatched turntables is kinda bumming me out.

Yeah, well I hope to, at the moment its the V15 & some other not as awesome Shure cart. SC35C I think, the light blue crap one. I have another couple of matched cartridges too but I've loaned them out to a friend long term.

V15's are not DJ carts. You will burn the shit out of your records and probably fuck up the needle.

V15's are not DJ carts. You will burn the shit out of your records and probably fuck up the needle.