What do you look for in an album?

SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
Kind of a dumb question maybe. I suppose it depends on genre.I think I look for toe-tappedness neck-snappedness, or, uh, pathos.creativity, but not being weird for the sake of being weird and then calling it creativity.errrrr....

Comments

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Movement.

In melody, rhythm, or words.

At best, all three.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Re: What do you look for in an album?

I look for money.......pot residual......polaroid shots of naked women.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    "Produced by Creed Taylor"

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    "Produced by Creed Taylor"

Please be serious.

'Lyricist's Lounge' needs to be somewhere in the title!

• A MOOD, A FEELING - COHESIVNESS.

• Variety. Balance. Flow. A good album should be like a good mixtape (except, ya know, where all of the songs are by the same artist ... ho ho ho). But seriously, thought should be given to the order of the songs so that you can listen to it from beginning to end.

On a related note, do people think less and less about albums these days? Has the Ipod mindstate affected how you view the album?

I know a community of record collectors will probably hold on to their love of the album longer than "regular" folks ... but has anyone noticed a difference after using new technologies for a while?

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
    I like an album to sound as if the people involved had a clear idea of what they wanted to do before they set foot inside the studio. It needs to have some sort of cohesiveness or unifying theme, creatively speaking - some random examples of rap records that I think achieve this are "Cuban Links", "Liquid Swords", "The Blueprint", "The Infamous", "Illmatic". There doesn't have to be an obvious "concept" behind it, but it needs to make enough sense as an album for it to be listenable from end-to-end. If the whole thing hangs together in the right way, I can even live with a little filler.

• I like an album to sound as if the people involved had a clear idea of what they wanted to do before they set foot inside the studio. It needs to have some sort of cohesiveness or unifying theme, creatively speaking - some random examples of rap records that I think achieve this are "Cuban Links", "Liquid Swords", "The Blueprint", "The Infamous", "Illmatic". There doesn't have to be an obvious "concept" behind it, but it needs to make enough sense as an album for it to be listenable from end-to-end. If the whole thing hangs together in the right way, I can even live with a little filler.

I really don't like albums that sound like a collection of random singles.

• I, as you might imagine, look for a poster inside that might look thweet on my wall.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I, as you might imagine, look for a poster inside that might look thweet on my wall.

I TOTALLY KNOW WHAT YOU ARE SAYING.

edit: How do you get the folds out? I'm afraid to iron my thuper thweet and potentially raer posters.

• In rap I look for scientifically-designed initial high replay value that quickly descends into unlistenability after 10 listens.

• What do you look for in an album?

Smell.