Best of Eddie Murphy...

paulnicepaulnice 924 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
Stand up films aside (Delirious / Raw), what are his best?Coming To America is on cable right now and I'm kinda suprised at how well it holds up.Trading Places was always my shit too.Not crazy about Beverly Hills Cop like everybody else seemed to be.Preferred 48 Hours instead.But the one that caught me offgaurd was Boomerang.Great, funny, smart little film with good perfs all around. Esp. Eartha Kitt and Tisha Campbell.

Comments

• Boomerang is great. Coming to America, etc.

I actually think Bowfinger had some hilarious moments.

But Dr. Doolittle is that real schitt.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Boomerang is great.

Trading places, too.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

But the one that caught me offgaurd was Boomerang.
    Great, funny, smart little film with good perfs all around. Esp. Eartha Kitt and Tisha Campbell.

And Grace Jones. Who could forget "You are not gay! My Brother is gay! You just don't want to fuck me!"

• the golden child!

maybe not "best of..." material, but I think it deserves a mention.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    the golden child!

OH SCHITT!!! That was a dope movie!

• the golden child!

Thats what came to mind for me too (besides the ones mentioned). And, though its not a proper movie, the "Best of Saturday Night Live: Eddie Murphy" is some of the best Eddie Murphy material besides his stand up.

Singing career? Party All the Time ... or Boogie In Your Butt.

• Singing career? Party All the Time ... or Boogie In Your Butt.

It's all about The Honeymooners Rap w/Joe Piscopo.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    what was the last raw, non-children's movie dude was in?

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    No love for Harlem Nights?

• No love for Harlem Nights?

Never saw it actually.
    Worth checking?

• " my name is peaches and im the best, all the dj's want to feel my breast"

whatever happened to arsenio ?

• whatever happened to arsenio ?

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    I???m married with three children. I???m not going to be out there screwing hookers off the street or anything like that. I???m just being a nice guy??? I was being a good Samaritan. It???s not the first hooker I???ve helped out. I???ve seen hookers on corners??? and I???ll pull over??? and they???ll go, ???Oh you???re Eddie Murphy, oh my God,??? and I???ll empty my wallet out to help.???

And now, when divorcing, Eddie???s wife says: ???He told me there was this person on the corner crying, so he stopped to help. But I???m thinking, ???Well, why the hell did you let them get into the car?"

No love for Harlem Nights?

Never saw it actually.
    Worth checking?
    Honestly, I would check for it simply because Redd Foxx and Richard Pryor were in the movie also.

It's not a bad movie, IMO.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Boomerang is one of my favorite movies evar. Eddie showed his actin skills.
    Coming To America............might be his GOAT
    All the white guy buddy flick are classic as well

He's gonna KILL IT in DREAMGIRLS.....DONT SLEEP!!!!!!!!!

Dude is doin Sexual Chocolate for 2 whole muthafuckin hours...Cant Wait!!!!

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    I'm really looking forward to that new movie "Norbit". I saw the Trailer not too long ago..Pretty funny stuff.Check the Trailer here!(Norbit trailer)

All the old SNL skits are great..Velvet Jones,The Missing 5th Beatle,Little Richard,James B,Mr Robinson and my Favorite is The Rev, Jesse Jackson.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    All the old SNL skits are great..Velvet Jones,The Missing 5th Beatle,Little Richard,James B,Mr Robinson and my Favorite is The Rev, Jesse Jackson.

NOW this is diff territory.

MR WHITE.........

"What are you doing?" "Take it, just take it!"

• MR WHITE.........

"What are you doing?" "Take it, just take it!"

Oh, man. The party on the bus. The loan officer. Gold, pure gold.

Yesh, the Mr. White sketch is classic material.
    Y'all dudes remember his Solomon character?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

"I WAN WAN WAN TA KNIFE!!! PLEASE!!!

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    This and the Jesse Jackson "Hymietown" were the apex of his musical career. I would kill for the "Hymietown clip.

• He's gonna KILL IT in DREAMGIRLS.....DONT SLEEP!!!!!!!!!

Dude is doin Sexual Chocolate for 2 whole muthafuckin hours...Cant Wait!!!!

The word is that Eddie might actually get an Oscar nomination for Dreamgirls

• The word is that Eddie might actually get an Oscar nomination for Dreamgirls

I believe it. I'm hearing that the performance to watch for is that chick from American Idol who has the unenviable task of living up to Jennifer Holliday's masterpiece perf of "And I Am Telling You".
    I don't see how she can do it, but apparently she does (at least according to the trades like Variety, Hollywood Reporter., etc.). I believe it was Variety that said she "brings down the rafters".
    We shall see...

:

• Y'all dudes remember his Solomon character?

"YOU HEAR WHAT I SAY?!?[/b]

For those of you wondering who I'm talking about, Murphy and Joe Piscopo used to have these CLASSIC recurring characters on SNL, these two old wino types named Solomon and Pud who sat in a bar and riffed on goofy shit:

Pud: "You a nut, man!"
    Solomon: "I ain't the nut, YOU the nut?"
    Pud: "Well, if I'm a nut, you a chestnut!"
    Solomon: "Well, you a chestnut roastin' on an open fire...butt nekkid..."

Well, maybe you'd have to see it, but it was funny as all hell. Solomon's big catchphrase was "you hear what I say?" after cracking some silly joke. This should have been as big as Buckwheat, Velvet Jones, and the prison poet ("kill the landlord...C-I-L-L") but somehow never caught on, even though Solomon and Pud had a spot on several SNL eps from the Murphy years.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Boomerang is great. Coming to America, etc.

I actually think Bowfinger had some hilarious moments.

But Dr. Doolittle is that real schitt.

Co-sign on Bowfinger, there's some hilarious shit in there.

• Trading Places & Coming To America are my favourites....I like the way Randolph & Mortimer show up as tramps in CTA & Eddie hooks them up with a bunch of $$$, I thought that was a nice touch

• Trading Places & Coming To America are my favourites....I like the way Randolph & Mortimer show up as tramps in CTA & Eddie hooks them up with a bunch of $$$, I thought that was a nice touch

Okay, y'all gotta slow down with them cryptic references and ID these minor characters for those of us who may have forgotten! Were Randolph & Mortimer the two old white guys who conspired to make Dan Akroyd lose his job in Trading Places?

Were Randolph & Mortimer the two old white guys who conspired to make Dan Akroyd lose his job in Trading Places?
    Yes they were.

• 48 hrs!!Also Bowfinger is hi-larious..Raw and Delirous are the best tho'..mad akward at moments to watch with your girl.."men cheat,alotta you girls are thinkin,"not my man", yes your man too!"..funny ass truths..

• co-sign on Delirious and Raw. imo, those are the best standup routines EVER, particularly Delirious which Eddie did when he was what, 20 years old?

dude is a genius and its such a waste for him to be stuck in all these kids films. no matter how many times i watch that routine from Raw where he imitates the italian Rocky fans, i cannot stop myself from laughing out loud. "Alright Rock-o!!!"