Leaning Expedit Concerns

Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
It was just brought to my attention that my expedit is leaning towards the left. That is, the top of the side-panels are leaning between an 1" and 1.5" to the left of the panel bottoms. My plan is to unload the records, tighten what I can, and hope that it straightens out. Has anybody else encountered this problem? I've never heard of an expedit collapsing and i'd rather not be the first. Mine has only been in use for a year and a half.

Comments

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    You been buying off The_Mack again? A thin sheet of ply or luauauauaun (sp?) on the back (or front if you want) will fix the lean. You'll still have to take the records off to do this though.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    Did you secure the expedit to the wall? If not get some wall anchors and screw the angle brackets that came with the expedit to them.

• Interested in getting one of these myself. Are you guys generally getting the 4x4 cubicle deals or are the 5x5 models dependable too?

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    I've got a 5x5 and secured to the wall it feels pretty solid.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    I I've never heard of an expedit collapsing

Honestly, I'm shocked that we haven't seen posts like this.

I've had the misfortune of buying a ton of Ikea stuff for Res this year...Even the tables are hollow. Its the cheapest stuff I've ever seen made. Precious raers + cheap particle board = heartbreak. Have you been moving it around the apartment? I'd suggest heading to home depot & buying some L-brackets to start. Go in back of the expedit & re-enforce each corner. The ply is a good idea, too. Not that cardboard backing stuff, but actual ply. Obviously, you're dealing with a cheaply made thing - re-enforcing it isn't rocket science, but it does require some care. Get the proper tools & screws & you'll be okay.

peace

h