Montreal record shops? Any suggestions?

tjamestjames 156 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
I'm going to Montreal in December and I'll be looking for record shops? I'll be looking for disco, boogie, jazz-fusion... won't pass up good soul, funk etc. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.tjames

Comments

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    google it and youll find a useful (the vinyl tourist) website with all the usual suspects

I suggest you check out Encore Records on sherbrooke and harvard for a great wide selection and your close to the legendary Cosmo's breakfast spot

pm me for more mtl questions

• tjamestjames 156 Posts

Thanks for the info - the vinyl tourist looks very promising!

tjames

• Another good site, which was developed in Canada, is www.recordstorereview.com ... they have a good Montreal section.

From personal experience:

Pop Shop (3656 St-Laurent) is fun. You'll be up and down St. Laurent (and St. Denis) so stop in.

Primitive (3828 St-Denis) is my favorite. Lots to dig through and they get some goodies in there. They have a couple of Vestax portables set up for listening.

Beatnick (3770 St-Denis) is worth a look. Just down the block from Primitive. Definitely hit up Primitive first, but I've found some good records in Beatnick.

I like Atom Heart (364-B Sherbrooke Street East). Its a small shop with mostly newer stuff ... run by nice people, listening station. Worth a look.

Have fun!

• tjamestjames 156 Posts

Thanks again SoulStrut'ers. This is exactly the reason I asked.

tjames