can a input fader be used as a crossfader.

bonzaisk8bonzaisk8 946 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
so i just received a vestax PMC05 pro input fader from ebay when infact i was looking for a PMC05 pro crossfader. i pretty much figure i got screwed, but i'm just curious if anyone has used a input fader as a crossfader before. I'm not sure how different they are from each other but i would imagine that they are pretty different.thanks for the soulstrut wisdom.hollur and please save the clown batches.

Comments

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I'm assuming by input fader you mean line fader. I'm pretty sure that line faders and crossfaders use different resistance values, so I doubt it'd work. The linefaders on the 05 are pretty stiff as I remember, so scratching with it wouldn't be too much fun either. If you're trying to get a new x-fader take a look at the ProXfade, it's pretty sweet.

• thanks for the input(no pun intended). actually the line fader isn't stiff at all thats why i thought about it. but i'm sure you're right about the resistance difference. i was trying to save a buck, thats why i went with ebay, but yeah looks like that X-Fade is the way to go.

and to the ebay seller i say,

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    It depends on the mixer, on Ranes you can switch upfaders with crossfaders but on most mixers you can't AFAIK.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Yeah, and that's why Ranes are dope, among other reasons. My crossfader on my 52 was getting all loose and screwy so I swapped it with a linefader and now it's butter again.

• I can see a crossfader being used as an upfader (a crossfader is really like two upfaders) but not the other way around unless, like in the case of Ranes, they are specifically designed to be universal.

Crossfaders deal with two channels, upfaders with just one. So unless you can wire two channels into it, I don't see it being possible. Then there's the compatibility with the crossfader shape adjustment. Yeah ... just get a crossfader.

Mind you, I've never tinkered with a mixer ... just thinking conceptually.

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
    whats the deal with this stuff anyway?
    does a crossfader needs to be changed everey so often like a car that needs to be checked, brakes that have to be replaced.
    does a skratsj dj really beat up his mixer that much that varial resistors leave skratsj marks ?
    give it a good cleaning with contact-spray before buying stuff from companies that sell crap in the first place.
    dust and moist does more damage than ya think...