Ron Artest v. SoundScan (1st Round K.O.)

drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
NBA's Artest Bottoms Out With First Week Sales Of My World[/b]Nov. 10, 2006 - New York, NYAccording to SoundScan, in an embarrassing first week of sales, NBA baller Ron Artest sold 343 copies of his debut album, My World. The figures are astonishingly low, seeing that K-Fed even managed to push 6,000 units his first week.Artest is best known for his scuffle with some fans during a 2004 Pacers/Pistons game. He lost $5 million dollars in salary as a result of his suspension from the confrontation. Earlier this fall, Artest just got off a European tour with Fat Joe.My World was released under Artest's own Tru Warier Records, in conjunction with Lightyear. Former Sony recording artists Allure are also signed to his label. Check out the SoundSlam archives for an exclusive interview with star defender-turned-hopeful artisan. Source: SoundSlam

Comments

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    LOL LOL LOL 343[/b] Meaning his family and his boys bought 3 copies each.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Vanity press.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    This will no doubt be the Skip Spence "Oar" of basketball playing guys who made turn of the millenium CD's. I'll be socking away copies next to my 900,000+ copies of the Segal disc. Future raer.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    This will no doubt be the Atari 2600 "ET" of basketball playing guys who made turn of the millenium CD's. Future landfill.

• christ he has his own LABEL too? i'm pretty sure soundscans don't even equate to actual sales, so half of those 343 are probably sitting on store shelves...

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    christ he has his own LABEL too? i'm pretty sure soundscans don't even equate to actual sales, so half of those 343 are probably sitting on store shelves...

No, Soundscans are supposed to track actual sales (RIAA certifications reflect shipments) and, while there are certainly ways to inflate soundscan totals at the point of sale, I can't imagine anybody would be pressed enough about Ron Artest sales to do so. Then again, he did once apply for a job at Circuit City in order to qualify for the employee discount, so perhaps Ron-Ron himself is in retail-land somewhere with a big smiley face button pinned to his shirt running up dummy Soundscans.

To be fair, I doubt that most retailers that stocked this album report to Soundscan--I don't think you can find it at Best Buy, for instance. If Archaic was a fan, he would no doubt tell us that Ron Artest's audience supports local businesses, that this album is platinum around the way and that we can all smoke a terd in hell for making fun of it. Sadly, I don't think Ron Ron even has Archaic--whose chief criterion in evaluating rap artists is that nobody else like them--in his corner.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Ron probably provides economic support to more people than supported his album.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

Ron probably provides economic support to more people than supported his album.

Yea, that's probably TRU.

Circuit City to get discounts. LOL That's still funny, the second time around.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    wow ...thats REALLY bad....he could have sold at least 500 at the Arena snack bar.