Jack Palance R.I.P.

DustbusterDustbuster 278 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
I guess this would be the sad third. Man's man all through his career.

Comments

• I'll never forget the one-armed push-ups...

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I watched Contempt for the first time about a month ago. I was surprised to see the role of "Asshole American Producer" played by Palance (perhaps the American public was as well, considering how poorly the movie did). Maybe this says more about Godard than Palance, but Jack and his red Alfa Romeo, once viewed, are a hard image to void from the mind. Due to the everpresent Godard put-on, I'm still trying to come to a conclusion on whether Palance's acting in that picture was purposeful (to fit the type) or just plain bad.

All this notwithstanding: Confidence is very sexy. Don't you think?

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    who?

• Due to the everpresent Godard put-on, I'm still trying to come to a conclusion on whether Palance's acting in that picture was purposeful (to fit the type) or just plain bad.

YOu need to read some Contempt critical theory to set your mind straight.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

"Believe it or not"

RIP. Dude voice was crazy classic.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Due to the everpresent Godard put-on, I'm still trying to come to a conclusion on whether Palance's acting in that picture was purposeful (to fit the type) or just plain bad.

YOu need to read some Contempt critical theory to set your mind straight.

Believe me: I have. Did you know that Palance was probably used up-and-down by Godard in that film? Months later, Palance remarked to a TV interviewer that he'd been in "some stupid french movie" (par.) and that Godard was a poor director. Essentially, the critical analysis that I've read leads me to believe that Godard chose Palance because he thought Jack to be an American lunkhead and cast him as such. Again, the critical analysis I've read led me to this opinion.

Either way, Godard himself has said that he hated this film because it made him look like a sell out. I didn't dislike it (it's probably one of my favorite Godard films) and don't necessarily share in Godard's opinion, but it's so far after the release of the film that my opinion doesn't matter either way.

I'm more Bergman>Godard anyway. Hipsters be damned.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

I'm more Bergman>Godard anyway. Hipsters be damned.

Bergman isn't hipster?

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I was really making a light-hearted statement about Godard fans (whom I personally correlate 1:1 with the hipsters I know) without taking Bergman fans into account. I'm not ticked off or mad, doggie. Just a playful jab.

I'm not a hipster, so I wouldn't know about a hipster's opinion of Bergman. I always was intrigued by the man's films and his honest questioning of God/god (Trilogy of Faith) because of my ultra-conservative upbringing. I see nothing hipsterish about stuff like Winter Light. Persona, yes. Maybe that's just me.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

• roistoroisto 879 Posts

RIP